An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question On Martyrdom

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Spontaneous sublimation.

If it hadn't been for the fact your religion says "Protestant", I would have had no clue who you were.

Red is symbol of death or torture. White is symbol of those who become hermits in the desert martyring themselves with asceticism. There is also green martyrdom. That's people who do extreme fasting but remain in community.

Red is symbol of death or torture. White is symbol of those who become hermits in the desert martyring themselves with asceticism. There is also green martyrdom. That's people who do extreme fasting but remain in community.

I know I wasn't the one who asked the question, but thank you for your answer!  I had never heard of green martyrdom before.  Very cool!  That will definitely come up the next time I ask my friends seemingly random trivia questions.  

PhuturePriest

I actually looked it up, and it looks like it's not only for hermits. John Paul the Great is considered a white martyr, for instance.

Basilisa Marie

I actually looked it up, and it looks like it's not only for hermits. John Paul the Great is considered a white martyr, for instance.

Yeah, anyone who endures a lot of suffering but isn't killed for the faith can be considered a white martyr.  

PhuturePriest

Yeah, anyone who endures a lot of suffering but isn't killed for the faith can be considered a white martyr.  

I'd say if anyone deserves to be known as a white martyr, it's John Paul the Great. After all, he almost became a red martyr.