An Old School Catholic Message Board

Male Communities

PhuturePriest

FuturePriest and Corban, could you tell me more about why you like the Community of St. John?

Yes, I'd be happy to.  First of all, you should know that I am slightly biased because my older brother belonged to the Community for 5 or 6 years and their priests regularly stay at my house when traveling.  Also, I semi-regularly email with one of their priests for spiritual direction.  So they have been/are a big part of my life. 

But there is so much to love about them.  They seek to live the life of the Beloved Disciple in the Church today...resting their head upon the Heart of Jesus, being with Him at the foot of the Cross, and taking Mary as their Mother.  They live a life of adoration and silent prayer, and seek to form their minds through study (especially Philosophy) to be able to better address the deepest questions on the hearts of modern man/society. 

They are very well formed as FuturePriest pointed out and take on all kinds of different apostolates that fit well within their charism.  One of their priests travels the world teaching little children how to adore Jesus silently in the Blessed Sacrament.  Some teach philosophy or theology at universities.  Some work with the poor and the dying especially in places like India, the Philippines, Africa, etc.  

Worldwide, they do a lot of youth work where they take teens or young adults out camping, getting to experience some of the natural beauty God has given us, and using that as a backdrop to enter into deeper experiences of community, prayer, and learning philosophy together.  Very much like how JPII used to take small groups out hiking, camping, kayaking when he was still a bishop in Poland. 

Also, I have never found (with the possible exception of St. Maximilian Kolbe) someone who speaks so beautifully of Our Blessed Mother as their founder, Fr. Philippe.  His book "The Mystery of Mary" and "Mary, Mystery of Mercy" are absolutely ridiculous good.  I would strongly recommend them as retreat reading, or texts to do lectio on...to be read slowly and not just as books to blow through. 

Plus, they are a very masculine community.  Strong, vibrant, and full of joy...these guys know how to have fun! 

Edited by corban711

PhuturePriest

Yes, I'd be happy to.  First of all, you should know that I am slightly biased because my older brother belonged to the Community for 5 or 6 years and their priests regularly stay at my house when traveling.  Also, I semi-regularly email with one of their priests for spiritual direction.  So they have been/are a big part of my life. 

But there is so much to love about them.  They seek to live the life of the Beloved Disciple in the Church today...resting their head upon the Heart of Jesus, being with Him at the foot of the Cross, and taking Mary as their Mother.  They live a life of adoration and silent prayer, and seek to form their minds through study (especially Philosophy) to be able to better address the deepest questions on the hearts of modern man/society. 

They are very well formed as FuturePriest pointed out and take on all kinds of different apostolates that fit well within their charism.  One of their priests travels the world teaching little children how to adore Jesus silently in the Blessed Sacrament.  Some teach philosophy or theology at universities.  Some work with the poor and the dying especially in places like India, the Philippines, Africa, etc.  

Worldwide, they do a lot of youth work where they take teens or young adults out camping, getting to experience some of the natural beauty God has given us, and using that as a backdrop to enter into deeper experiences of community, prayer, and learning philosophy together.  Very much like how JPII used to take small groups out hiking, camping, kayaking when he was still a bishop in Poland. 

Also, I have never found (with the possible exception of St. Maximilian Kolbe) someone who speaks so beautifully of Our Blessed Mother as their founder, Fr. Philippe.  His book "The Mystery of Mary" and "Mary, Mystery of Mercy" are absolutely ridiculous good.  I would strongly recommend them as retreat reading, or texts to do lectio on...to be read slowly and not just as books to blow through. 

Plus, they are a very masculine community.  Strong, vibrant, and full of joy...these guys know how to have fun! 

They truly are a beautiful community. The only discrepancy I have with them is they do not like younger vocations.

PhuturePriest

A small handful of the Franciscan Brothers Minor and all their habited, barefoot glory.

vows-005.jpg

There is a new community of Benedictine monks that have just been granted diocesan approval in Italy. It is the male branch of the Benedictine Daughters of Divine Will - the order founded by the former St. Mary Catherine (Novice Mistress and Vicar) of OLAM. She left to form a new Benedictine order in Italy, and a junior professed and postulant of OLAM left and joined her. I just got their new newsletter via email today, but if you go on their site at http://www.benedictinesofdivinewill.org and click on community videos, the new one for 2014 has got the men's story on it.

Edited by Francis Clare

PhuturePriest

What's that smell? That's the manly smell of testosterone. Just look at that glorious beard.

Abbadia4.jpg

AveMariaPurissima

I :heart:  seeing men in habit.  I mean, I love seeing women religious in habit too, but there's something about seeing men religious in habits that I just love.  Last weekend we had both a Dominican priest and a Franciscan priest visiting at my parish and I just got so happy whenever I saw them.

Ugh, the manliness is almost overwhelming.

img-11.jpg

I don't mean to brag or anything (I do...I'm sorry.  I do!), but that priest has said Mass in both my living room and backyard!  

PhuturePriest

I don't mean to brag or anything (I do...I'm sorry.  I do!), but that priest has said Mass in both my living room and backyard!  

I don't mean to brag, but I've met him several times and have known him since I was 4.

PhuturePriest

I :heart:  seeing men in habit.  I mean, I love seeing women religious in habit too, but there's something about seeing men religious in habits that I just love.  Last weekend we had both a Dominican priest and a Franciscan priest visiting at my parish and I just got so happy whenever I saw them.

That's because you're attracted to the ridiculously high levels of testosterone and masculinity that the habit gives men.

I don't mean to brag, but I've met him several times and have known him since I was 4.

Man that is awesome.  He is such an incredible priest.  He has been a huge blessing to me and my family over the years. 

PhuturePriest

Man that is amesome.  He is such an incredible priest.  He has been a huge blessing to me and my family over the years. 

He is definitely in my top three favorite priests I've ever met. Last year I attended an excellent talk by him about the youth, telling us about several young Saints and saying youth shouldn't be underestimated.

Edited by Fickle Yapping Fetus