An Old School Catholic Message Board

Male Communities

PhuturePriest

veritasluxmea

Actually he wasn't in the Jesuits but I don't want to say the order because then it might give away his identity. I guess order formation/priest formation is at different stages. 

PhuturePriest

Actually he wasn't in the Jesuits but I don't want to say the order because then it might give away his identity. I guess order formation/priest formation is at different stages. 

Yeah. Men in religious communities profess final vows a year or two before they are ordained.

PhuturePriest

Cool. 

Yeah, I got to thinking and I realized it is seven years, because men begin studies for the priesthood once they reach the novitiate (6 months to a year, typically), and they aren't ordained a deacon until a year after their final profession, and they're ordained to the priesthood a year after that.

puellapaschalis

The Novitiate may not last less than 12 months, and no longer than 24: see c. 648.

Temporary profession may not last less than 3 years, and no longer than six: see c. 655.

So canonically* the journey to final profession lasts at least 4 years, and no longer than 8.

Preparation for priestly Ordination is distinct from religious profession.

*The total time elapsed between entrance and final profession may exceed 8 years if the order/congregation/institute has a postulancy period. This, however, is not required by Canon Law.

Edited by puellapaschalis

PhuturePriest

So eight years! 

No.

Six months to a year of postulancy = 1 + 6 of seminary and final profession = 7 + 1 until diaconate + 1 until priesthood = 9

puellapaschalis

No.

Six months to a year of postulancy = 1 + 6 of seminary and final profession = 7 + 1 until diaconate + 1 until priesthood = 9

Preparation for priestly Ordination is distinct from religious profession.

PhuturePriest

Yes, but I was explaining the math so I could show her what I said previously amounted to seven years of formation, not eight.

puellapaschalis

Yes, but I was explaining the math so I could show her what I said previously amounted to seven years of formation, not eight.

Fair enough, but the maths teacher here is also stifling her homicidal instincts at the way you wrote out that sum.

PhuturePriest

Fair enough, but the maths teacher here is also stifling her homicidal instincts at the way you wrote out that sum.

But I don't like math nor care one iota about it, so I don't care if it wasn't proper. :P

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Seminary can also vary, depending on if the seminarian has a college background in philosophy, so seminary will last from 4-6 years. The first two years are philosophy studies, and the last four are theology. After Third Theology studies (year 5 if he started with First Philosophy, year three if he started in First Theology), the seminarian is ordained a transitional deacon, finishes his final year of seminary, and then is ordained a priest the summer after his last year of seminary.

This is only for Major Seminary, though. If you're including College Seminary, then you have four years before that in seminary. However, the college seminarian will go straight into First Theology since his undergraduate degree will be in philosophy/Catholic philosophical thought.

Temporary profession may not last less than 3 years, and no longer than six: see c. 655.

So canonically* the journey to final profession lasts at least 4 years, and no longer than 8.

Just one minor correction: note c. 657 s. 2, where the superior can extend the period of profession up to three more years, so the person's temporary vows do not exceed 9 years.

Edited by NazFarmer

puellapaschalis
Just one minor correction: note c. 657 s. 2, where the superior can extend the period of profession up to three more years, so the person's temporary vows do not exceed 9 years.

I oversimplified. Thank you for the correction.

veritasluxmea

Marians of the Immaculate Conception. http://www.marian.org/

The Congregation of Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary is a fraternal community of consecrated life in the Roman Catholic Church. In America, the members of the Congregation are perhaps best known for their work promoting the message of Divine Mercy from Stockbridge, Massachusetts. They are also known for their devotion to Mary Immaculate, dedication to praying for the poor souls in Purgatory, and active service to the Church.

Founded in Poland in 1673 by Blessed Stanislaus Papczynski, today the Marian Congregation has well over 500 priests and brothers who labor in 19 countries: the USA, Argentina, Australia, Belarus, Brazil, Cameroon, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Rwanda, Slovakia, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom.

The Marian Congregation is unique in that it has not only a founder, Blessed Stanislaus, but also what the Marians call a "Renovator": Lithuanian-born Blessed George Matulaitis.

Blessed George is credited with saving the Marian Congregation from annihilation when he renovated and refounded it in 1910. Prior to the Renovation, the Marian Congregation had been reduced to just one member due to relentless persecution by Russian authorities. With the support of the Pope and bishops, Blessed George rewrote the Marians' Constitutions, gathered new members, and unleashed the renovated Marian Congregation as a zealous army for Christ and the Church in the modern world.

They have a good number of vocations and have been growing. 

provincegroup.jpg