An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best, Complete, Factual Account Of What's Happening In Ferguson

veritasluxmea

veritasluxmea

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/11/5988925/mike-brown-killing-shooting-case-ferguson-police-riots-st-louis#shooting

On August 9, Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager, was killed by a police officer named Darren Wilson in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, Missouri. Eyewitnesses to the shooting report that Brown was killed while attempting to surrender, but police say that Brown assaulted the officer before the shooting.

The incident provoked immediate anger and frustration in the community and around the country. The killing of Eric Garner, also an unarmed black man, by New York City police last month revived a public conversation about the history of police violence against black men, and the killing of Brown has inflamed it.

Protests began in the neighborhood immediately after Brown was shot, and continued throughout the weekend. On Sunday night, Ferguson erupted into civil unrest, with reports of looting, arson, and gunshots. Although the protests in the days that followed were largely nonviolent, an escalating and militarized police presence in the streets of Ferguson did nothing to ease the tension or soothe a concerned community, and local law enforcement's use of tear gas, rubber bullets, and dogs further eroded the trust between residents and police. On Thursday, the tide seemed to turn after Gov. Jay Dixon put the Missouri Highway Patrol in charge of security in Ferguson.

Here's what's known, what's being disputed, and what happens next.

Easy to read and follow. 

veritasluxmea

This was all I fond:

The QuikTrip was later set on fire: BuusqDNIQAAc34u.jpg
On Monday, August 11, a group of Ferguson residents got together to clean up the QuikTrip:BuydAsbCMAA3EsC.jpg

Edited by veritasluxmea

Here's what happened, to the best that we know at the moment. Admittedly, the police are not releasing all the information they have. But also admittedly, the media are not reporting all the available information, either. 

Michael Brown and his buddy Dorian Johnson robbed a convenience store in Ferguson of about $50 in cigars. When the owner of the store tried to stop them, Michael Brown grabbed the owner by the shirt and, according to some reports, displayed a gun, then flung the owner into a display rack. All of this was recorded by the security camera. The owner of the convenience store called the Ferguson police to report a robbery. 

Brown and Johnson then walked north on West Florissant Avenue, in the direction of the QuickTrip/QT, to a street named Canfield. At that same intersection, they turned right and walked toward the Canfield apartment complex. Apparently, they were walking in the middle of the street, blocking vehicular traffic. 

Officer Darren Wilson stopped Brown and Johnson, about ten minutes after the robbery, for walking in the middle of the street (Canfield) and blocking traffic. Officer Wilson was unaware of the fact that Brown and Johnson were the primary suspects in the "strong arm robbery" of the convenience store. 

My assumption is that Brown and Johnson didn't know that Officer Wilson was unaware of their recent robbery. My assumption is that a cop approached them 10 minutes after they had robbed a convenience store, and they thought he was going to arrest them for it, when in fact he just wanted them to get out of the street. Initial reports indicated that as Wilson was getting out of his patrol car, Brown shoved Wilson back into the patrol car. Initial reports also indicated that Wilson and Brown had an altercation inside the patrol car, with Brown trying to get Wilson's gun. It is entirely possible that, if Brown did in fact have a gun on him (which the videotape from the convenience store might be able to clarify), that he was in fact struggling with Wilson so that Wilson wouldn't find Brown's gun. 

I don't know what happened next. I've heard conflicting stories from conflicting sources.

The next night, Sunday, the crowd burned the QT. In the process, someone spray painted one wall of the QT with the graffito, in large letters, "Snitches get stitches." In other words, this was revenge against the people who called the cops on Brown and Johnson. Except the arsonists burned down  the wrong "convenience store." The QT had nothing to do with it. But the QT has been the focal point of almost all of the demonstrations, public gatherings, and so forth since then. 

The owner of the convenience store that was actually robbed did not voluntarily turn over his security videos of the robbery. He fears retaliation from the local residents, so he's been keeping his mouth shut about what Brown & Johnson did to him.

Ferguson has been a racially diverse community for something over 30 years. It has a reputation for being more welcoming than a number of the surrounding communities. Its school system has stayed strong. Its police department does NOT have a reputation for racial profiling or targeting, as some other local communities do. Officer Wilson has a perfectly clean record after six years as a police officer, including two years in the nearby suburb of Jennings, which is considered a much rougher neighborhood. 

Certainly Brown's death was a tragedy, and it's apparent that Officer Wilson is the one who shot him. What's not apparent is why Wilson shot him. 

The easiest way for outsiders who consume mass media to process this event is to jump to the racism conclusion.

There is apparently a good deal more to it than that. 

what kind of blind unthinking rage drives men to destroy a QuikTrip. I mean dear Lord its a QuikTrip.

QuikTrip does not have customers, QuikTrip has fans.

Ferguson has been a racially diverse community for something over 30 years. It has a reputation for being more welcoming than a number of the surrounding communities. Its school system has stayed strong. Its police department does NOT have a reputation for racial profiling or targeting, as some other local communities do. Officer Wilson has a perfectly clean record after six years as a police officer, including two years in the nearby suburb of Jennings, which is considered a much rougher neighborhood. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/15/the-day-ferguson-cops-were-caught-in-a-bloody-lie.html

:unsure: 

I'm not saying that you're not wrong, but this article seems to show a different side. 

what kind of blind unthinking rage drives men to destroy a QuikTrip. I mean dear Lord its a QuikTrip.

QuikTrip does not have customers, QuikTrip has fans.

Sheetz is far superiour

Sheetz is far superiour

Your preference for Sheetz and your spelling of "superior" are both obsolete. 

I saw some video surveillance from the convenient store and it doesnt look like Brown had a gun on him, but he did shove the clerk on his way out with the cigars in his hand. 

PhuturePriest

why did the cop shoot Mike 7+ times? whack.

Keep in mind that when your life is in danger (and I'm not arguing that his was or wasn't), you lose all thought process and simply react. Your body and reflexes take over, and your body's number one concern is preserving itself. If he truly was in danger, then it isn't a far-fetched thing to say all of the adrenaline made him want to make sure the threat was killed. It's the same reason why people who are attacked by dangerous animals but succeed in defending themselves often keep stabbing/shooting even after the animal is clearly dead, just to "make sure". When your life is in mortal peril, you take no chances.

Another possible explanation is that Mike was hopped up on some sort of drug like meth, but I haven't heard if they tested his blood for drugs or not.

Keep in mind that when your life is in danger (and I'm not arguing that his was or wasn't), you lose all thought process and simply react. Your body and reflexes take over, and your body's number one concern is preserving itself. If he truly was in danger, then it isn't a far-fetched thing to say all of the adrenaline made him want to make sure the threat was killed. It's the same reason why people who are attacked by dangerous animals but succeed in defending themselves often keep stabbing/shooting even after the animal is clearly dead, just to "make sure". When your life is in mortal peril, you take no chances.

Another possible explanation is that Mike was hopped up on some sort of drug like meth, but I haven't heard if they tested his blood for drugs or not.

cops should have better training than that.

PhuturePriest

cops should have better training than that.

To say cops have sufficient training in battle scenarios would be laughable if it weren't so unfortunately dangerous.

• Winchester locked this topic