An Old School Catholic Message Board

Conforming Your Beliefs To Church Teaching

dairygirl4u2c

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I used to have some problems with a small number of church teaching, but I kinda just shut off that part of my brain and rolled with it.

Then I got older and decided I didnt like that approach. I couldnt logically justify some of the stuff I grew up believing so I deferred in the opposite direction I guess?

I had a hard time accepting that NFP was a valid, moral form of contraception - even, as the Church says, in a very serious case.

Apostolic authority wins, again.

CountrySteve21

Of course, because when one seeks truth its not about making truth relevant to my beliefs, as if truth was based on what I want. Its about confirming my will to Christs, which is made manifest through His Church. 

Some examples are Marian doctrine and Papal authority, of course I am a former Baptist. 

Pax 

Edited by CountrySteve21

Yes. Death penalty, immigration, preferential option for the poor. I used to get so mad reading Oscar Romero and Dorothy Day.

PhuturePriest

I grew up in a very Republican household, so I was very much for the war in the middle east, pre-emptive strikes, military torturers, etc. Once I started delving deeply into Church teaching, it was very easy for me to conform myself to it. A beautiful thing about Catholic homeschooling is I have a natural inclination to conform completely to Church teaching. Even if I don't completely understand the Church's reasoning behind something (which has only happened once), I conform and immediately delve into it and reach understanding. It's not difficult for me to, and I'm very thankful for that.

veritasluxmea

Torture. Gay Marriage/partnerships/relationships. 

Usually when I encounter something in the Church I believe, but which the Church doesn't, I start to find out why. First I identify exactly what I think, and where my grey areas of not being sure are. Then I identify why I think that- every source, every line of thought I have, or don't have. Maybe I just think it because it "makes sense" to me. Then I find out exactly what the Church says, black and white and grey areas alike. Then I find out why She thinks what She thinks. Why doesn't it "make sense" to her? Study, study, study. It can take a while- Gay marriage took me three years to understand before I felt satisfied I understood it fully and could explain it to someone else. I  :heart: the process. It leads me to understand myself, God, and the world around me to the fullest.

I'm not upset when I encounter something the Church teaches that I don't believe, or if I've encountered a gray area, and I'm willing to defer to stay quiet until I figure it out. For example, I think when prostitutes or fornicating couples use contraception it's a step in the right direction. Or put more frankly, I think in those situations contraception should be used. Or I don't know, am I wrong? I will have to find out what the Church says and start researching. Having an open mind is helpful. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

I had a hard time accepting that NFP was a valid, moral form of contraception - even, as the Church says, in a very serious case.

Apostolic authority wins, again.

Except that NFP is not a form of contraception.

Seems you still don't understand the issue.

veritasluxmea

Many people use NFP as a form of contraception, including non-Catholics. I have a pagan friend who wanted a natural contraceptive because they dislike modern medicine and she used NFP. If you're using it to be lie with your spouse and avoid a baby I think it falls under the definition of a contraception. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

No it is just a biological loophole to engage in sex with out procreating.

KnightofChrist

No it is just a biological loophole to engage in sex with out procreating.

That is the anti-catholic twisting of the Church's teaching on NFP.

PhuturePriest

Contra-ception: Contrary to conception. There is nothing about having sex with no physical or artificial barriers that is against or contrary to conception. The Church teaches that to use NFP with a contraceptive mindset is sinful, and it is only to be used in times when you sincerely need to. It's not something you get to use just because you don't feel ready to be parents yet -- when you both said "I do", you stated you were ready for parenthood.

Contra-ception: Contrary to conception. There is nothing about having sex with no physical or artificial barriers that is against or contrary to conception. The Church teaches that to use NFP with a contraceptive mindset is sinful, and it is only to be used in times when you sincerely need to. It's not something you get to use just because you don't feel ready to be parents yet -- when you both said "I do", you stated you were ready for parenthood.

I disagree with both of you.  As FP pointed out - contrary to conception.  Obviously, if NFP is used to help conceive, then there is no issue.  If it's used in order to not conceive, then it is indeed contrary to conception.  It's just not artificial.

People make the excuse that with NFP, you are having sex, which is in itself not contraception.  That's a copout.  The truth is that many people, including people I know, use or have used NFP in order to avoid conception.  Obviously, trying to avoid conception is contrary to conception.  Ergo: contraception.

Edit 1: I'll admit, Socrates, that perhaps NFP was not intended to be contraception, but it's been my experience that the majority of the time that's what it is, or perhaps more accurately what it becomes.

Edit 2: FP, I think what you meant to say was that the Church teaches that the use of NFP with a contraceptive mindset is sinful when it's not sincerely needed.  That I do agree with.

Edited by fides' Jack

PhuturePriest

Edit 2: FP, I think what you meant to say was that the Church teaches that the use of NFP with a contraceptive mindset is sinful when it's not sincerely needed.  That I do agree with.

No. The Church has explicitly said using NFP with a contraceptive mindset period is sinful.