An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Medals/scapulars Do You Wear? Plus A Question.

chrysostom

I wear the Miraculous Medal and the Brown Scapular.  In another day or two I'm going to add the St. Joseph medal and St. Christopher Medal to make it a four-way medal.  I've also just obtained a small crucifix/St. Benedict medal that I'm considering wearing, perhaps above my clothing.  What about you guys?

About that...

I've been told that one should wear the Miraculous Medal and the Scapular under one's outer clothing.  I certainly imagine this to be true of the scapular, but I'm not so sure about medals because I've seen them plenty of times.  Is there any custom about this that you know about?  And of course I've seen lots of crucifixes on top of clothing.

I wear a crucifix, John Paul the Great (since he is AWESOME!!!), and a Miraculous Medal. I wear above me clothing because I have a nervous habit of rubbing them. But I don't know if there is any tradition or anything.

brandelynmarie

Brown scapular, St. Benedict medal & a very tiny Miraculous medal. I lost my crucifix that had been touched to the tomb of St. JPII. :(

I carry a green scapular in my purse.

There's a custom in religious life to wear your medals under your habit (in my former community, many Sisters wore their medals pinned to the habit's scapular under the cape), but I'm not aware of a custom for laypeople not to wear them on their outer clothing. For scapulars, yes, it seems customary to wear it under clothing. Interesting!

veritasluxmea

I used to wear a miraculous medal and green scapular, but gave one to a friend and the other wore down and I never replaced it. Now I only wear the Angelic Warfare Confraternity medal, because I couldn't get the rope belt to stay tied without leaving it permanently around my waist and I needed to take it off to sleep and shower. 

Also a private consecration ring.  

AveMariaPurissima

I wear a Brown Scapular that has a crucifix and a St. Benedict medal.  Those, of course, are under my shirt.  I also wear a St. Benedict crucifix, on top of my shirt.  Additionally, I also wear a St. Philomena cord.

I wear the brown scapular, St Benedict medal and cross as well as the Miraculous Medal and have the green scapular which I don't wear because it is not required as long as I keep it in something or someplace that belongs to me.

CountrySteve21

I wear a Miraculous Medal  and a Brown Scapular inside my shirt, and a Papal Crucifix necklace on the outside and I carry a St. Benedict Medal on my Rosary. I'm addicted to sacramentals  :hehe:  

I normally wear a silver medal of Our Lady of Walsingham and a simple wooden cross with a heart cut into the centre. Sometimes I wear a crucifix instead of these two. Under my clothing I have a beautiful scapular with an image of the Sacred Heart on one side and the Immaculate Heart on the other that a very talented Phatmasser embroidered for me. :)

Credo in Deum

I've gone completely sacra-mental. I wear a green scapular, brown scapular, St. Benedict's medal, crucifix, and a ring I had made for my consecration to my Momma.

Catherine Therese

I wear only one, and will wear it for the rest of my days - I wear the medal of the Confraternity of Angelic Warfare.

One can wear either the medal, or a cord about one's waist. Since leaving the convent my weight has fluctuated such that a medal is the more practical of the two options. Each day, the devotion associated with wearing the medal (to which I have made a lifetime promise) involves the following prayer:

"Chosen lily of innocence, purest St Thomas, to you who did preserve ever fair your baptismal robe; to you who being girded by two angels did become a true angel in the flesh: to you do we pray to recommend us to Jesus the Immaculate Lamb and to Mary the Queen of Virgins, that we also who bear about us your sacred cord may receive the gift of your purity, and that thus imitating you upon the earth, we may one day be crowned with you, O great guardian of our purity, among the angels in paradise."

There are other versions of the prayer but this is the one I learned when I was a religious.

It's a beautiful devotion, IMHO.

http://www.angelicwarfareconfraternity.org/

Catherine Therese

Oh - and when I was a religious, I had a medal of St Catherine of Siena, a medal of St Dominic, a medal of St Cecilia & a medal of Our Lady of Mt Carmel attached to the rosary I wore about my waist.