An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sexual Arousal An Occasion Of Sin

Poorly Catechized Convert

I want to say ahead of time that I'm sorry if this question isn't appropriate. I need to ask, so I had to try posting; anyway, similar topics have been discussed, so I'm assuming it's fine.

So I often hear that if you're in a situation that cuases arousal you should try to get out of it and/or avoid it in the future. Is this always that case? Would arousal always indicate and occasion of sin? Is this because it may be enjoyed or because it could lead to sexual thoughts? I ask because I often have it happen, but I never have a sexual thought or the temptation to engage in one. Even if the situation indicated an occasion of sin, it would affect me in the same way as a purely random one. So how should I interpenetrat this situation?

Again, I'm sorry if this lost wasn't an appropriate discussion topic.

puellapaschalis

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a woman. I've heard that women and men deal with arousal differently, physiologically, so ymmv.

Years back I learnt of the practice of very slowly reciting three Hail Marys (at night) for purity. When I find myself in that kind of situation, I'll try to pray at least one. On a practical level this gives me time to figure out what any stimulus might be, or what exactly it is about the place/time/circumstances I'm in which is dangerous, and then I get out of there and do something else.

From what I understand, arousal itself is not a sin: it's something your body does, a feeling you have, and like all feelings and sensations, you can learn to be detached from it and just let it pass by without acting on it. Arousal is not something you do.

The body uses arousal to ready itself for sex. So acting upon arousal unless with your husband/wife in the proper way (masturbation, fornication, e.g.), would be sinful, as that would be acting on temptation.

Similarly, because arousal is geared towards sex, deliberately doing something to cause arousal (reading saucy novels, perhaps some films, noticing someone you see and letting your imagination run, e.g.) would also be sinful. That would be putting yourself or someone else in a position of temptation.

Everyone's threshold is different in terms of what they can be aroused by, and what they can 'resist'. It is nonetheless good to be prudent and avoid situations when you can tell beforehand that there's a likely chance you or others will be brought into temptation by it.

The best way of strengthening yourself against temptation - any temptation, not just sexual - is to flee it, rather than take it on. Staying close to the Sacraments, holy reading (not saying you can't read anything else though), daily Rosary - these are some things that enable to withstand the garbage.

Hope this helps a little. I'm not an expert, just someone who's been there.

Catherine Therese

Q. Where does the sin reside?
A. Being aroused briefly without choosing to be so is not sinful at all. If you choose to indulge in whatever caused the arousal or to allow it to perpetuate, then it becomes sinful. The sexual faculty is ordered towards expressing marital love in a manner that is open to life. Deliberate use of the sexual faculty outside of a married context is an ABuse of a gift from God that is an integral part of you. So it is not only a sin against God, but it is actually an offence against your very self. You might not THINK you're doing yourself any harm, but your innermost being is damaged by the mis-application of your will.

Q. What can you do in a situation where you find yourself inadvertently aroused?

A. I agree with Puella that flight is better than fight on this type of issue.

Recommend having half a dozen or so fantastic movies that DONT contain content that causes arousal on standby. If you find that you're allowing either arousal or imagination to run away with you, a good movie is instant distraction.

Maybe have a handful of other things to do up your sleeve so that you can distract yourself right away if you're not necessarily in a place where you can watch a movie.

I also agree that filling your mind with good and holy material in the meantime is a helpful, healthy thing - but if you're in the MIDST of temptation, a slightly more lowbrow solution is probably going to be more effective in the first instance. And when you're past that temptation, give thanks to Him, because it is a victory won in Him for His sake!

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a woman. I've heard that women and men deal with arousal differently, physiologically, so ymmv.

Years back I learnt of the practice of very slowly reciting three Hail Marys (at night) for purity. When I find myself in that kind of situation, I'll try to pray at least one. On a practical level this gives me time to figure out what any stimulus might be, or what exactly it is about the place/time/circumstances I'm in which is dangerous, and then I get out of there and do something else.

From what I understand, arousal itself is not a sin: it's something your body does, a feeling you have, and like all feelings and sensations, you can learn to be detached from it and just let it pass by without acting on it. Arousal is not something you do.

The body uses arousal to ready itself for sex. So acting upon arousal unless with your husband/wife in the proper way (masturbation, fornication, e.g.), would be sinful, as that would be acting on temptation.

Similarly, because arousal is geared towards sex, deliberately doing something to cause arousal (reading saucy novels, perhaps some films, noticing someone you see and letting your imagination run, e.g.) would also be sinful. That would be putting yourself or someone else in a position of temptation.

Everyone's threshold is different in terms of what they can be aroused by, and what they can 'resist'. It is nonetheless good to be prudent and avoid situations when you can tell beforehand that there's a likely chance you or others will be brought into temptation by it.

The best way of strengthening yourself against temptation - any temptation, not just sexual - is to flee it, rather than take it on. Staying close to the Sacraments, holy reading (not saying you can't read anything else though), daily Rosary - these are some things that enable to withstand the garbage.

Hope this helps a little. I'm not an expert, just someone who's been there.

Said arousal so many times it's stopped looking like a word. Otherwise good.

puellapaschalis

Said arousal so many times it's stopped looking like a word. Otherwise good.

Will try better next time. Where's my thesaurus....

Thanks for the replies! :) I don't really have any further questions. Thanks again.

Thy Geekdom Come

Sexual arousal is morally neutral in itself. To pursue sexual arousal outside the context of intercourse is a sin (a mortal one, actually).

Here's a blog post that touches on the subject in a specific scenario: http://taylormarshall.com/2010/11/is-french-kissing-mortal-sin-pope.html

Of course, a person might be in a situation where they are aroused accidentally, but not pursuing arousal. In this case, yes, it would be an occasion of sin for them to continue doing what aroused them. Some people may be hyper-sensative. If hand-holding arouses you, I'd recommend praying - in that moment - for the person you're with and otherwise not stressing it. Obviously, that doesn't apply to everything. There are some things that, unlike hand-holding, are naturally arousing. You shouldn't be doing those things outside the context of intercourse.

We always need to remember that occasions of sin differ from one person to another. If you put me in an empty building with a lighter and a gas can, I won't sin. An arsonist would. Humbly knowing yourself will do a lot.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it.

Edited by Poorly Catechized Convert

Catherine Therese

It seems to me that spontaneous sexual arousal is natural and makes the world a much more beautiful place.

I'd agree with that, when it only WILFULLY occurs within the context to which it is ordered.

If outside the context of marital love, and if the will, intellect and imagination are all brought into the equation to deliberately prolong the experience, you find yourself in murky waters... that becomes an intellectually driven variation on masturbation, i.e. an abuse of that which is natural and which should be making the world a beautiful place.

If outside the context of marital love, and if the will, intellect and imagination are all brought into the equation to deliberately prolong the experience, you find yourself in murky waters... that becomes an intellectually driven variation on masturbation, i.e. an abuse of that which is natural and which should be making the world a beautiful place.

I am not sure the concept of masturbation can be extended to the intellect, will or imagination. I think the human race would die out if people did not fantasize about the other sex with their will, intellect and imagination outside of the bonds of marriage. 

OK, so I'm going to reword somethings to be more clear. First, my purpose in asking was to discern something about mysepf via answers based on Catholic theological explanations. I'm sorry for not mentioning that and that my question didn't convey that. I find this line of conversation awkward and I don't know what to say, but I needed to ask some things.

Next, I want to emphasize something's about my previous post. Despite arousal I've never had sexual temptation or anything close. So I guess I'll ask this: given that, should I treat arousal as an occasion of sin? Using the previous example of hand holding: if I were to do that, I'd probably become aroused. Although, it would have no emotional or mental impact on me. There'd be no fantasies or anything. The only thought would be, "oh no, I hope it doesn't look like I want sex."

Lastly, I want to add another question. How should temptation be identified? I aks because I have never noticed any and I'm 20 and have had a lot of crushes.

Please discount that last post-- I think it may be better to ask my confessor about all of these things, despite my embarrassment. Thanks for the replies; I really did appreciate them. I hope no one feels tgat I wasted their time. Now I think it's best to let this thread die. Thanks again.

Edited by Poorly Catechized Convert