An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pilgrimages

chrysostom

Query 1:

I'd like to understand pilgrimages a little more.  Clearly they go back to Old Testament times.  Pilgrimage is there when Jesus sets his face towards Jerusalem and makes the way of the cross.  It seems to be a part of the fabric of every Catholic civilization.  How would you describe it?  What books or other resources would you recommend on it?

Query 2:

Where have you made a pilgrimage?  Where do you plan to?  Where do you want to?  :)

I don't know all the places to go, but I would of course like to go to the Holy City of Jerusalem and to St. Peter's Basilica.  I think I would also like to go to Walsingham and Lourdes.

puellapaschalis

Query 1: Can't think too much on this yet.

Query 2: I've been to Lourdes and Rome amongst the 'big places'. There are a couple of less well-known places I regard as a pilgrimage each time I go.

brandelynmarie

To be honest I've never been on a big pilgrimage out of the country or even here in my country. I do however, consider pilgrimage to be a state of the mind & heart. I have taken mini retreats at monasteries & have been to local holy places. :) I travel light, but make sure to bring spiritual reading & a journal with me...& I try to listen to Him.

Like puella, there's more I'd like to say, but I'm really tired & not certain if even what I wrote is making much sense :topsy: More later... :)

Query 1:

I'd like to understand pilgrimages a little more.  Clearly they go back to Old Testament times.  Pilgrimage is there when Jesus sets his face towards Jerusalem and makes the way of the cross.  It seems to be a part of the fabric of every Catholic civilization.  How would you describe it?  What books or other resources would you recommend on it?

Query 2:

Where have you made a pilgrimage?  Where do you plan to?  Where do you want to?  :)

I don't know all the places to go, but I would of course like to go to the Holy City of Jerusalem and to St. Peter's Basilica.  I think I would also like to go to Walsingham and Lourdes.

Walsingham is lovely :)

LouisvilleFan

Query 1:

Query 2:

Good question. I've never made a pilgrimage (aside from the occasional labyrinth, a.k.a. the Spiritual Communion of pilgrimages). But I see a pilgrimage as summarizing our earthly journey from birth until we arrive at death. There's a passage in one of St. Paul's epistles that comes to mind, where he wrote about celebrating the Eucharist as a people who are in flight, so I think a pilgrimage can help put us in that frame of mind in our everyday life.

Martin Sheen's movie "The Way" is still on my watch list, but I'm sure it's a good resource.

Regarding #2, I'd go to Belgium to visit the Trappist brewing monasteries :beer:  Of course, St. Peter's and the Holy Land are on the list. I'd also love to walk about the monasteries at Mt. Athos.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I would like to go to see the great cathedrals of europe. Unsure how many there are but officially i think there is like 5 or so of em. Oh there is this one cathedral in finnland i would like to see, it is made of wood and is hugely viking looking, and huge too. :) Oh and the church of bones, where there are bones of the martyrs in the walls and the alter is made soley of the bones of martyrs, i forget what this church is called or where it is, and no it is not a satanic church, lol.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

brandelynmarie

I would like to go to see the great cathedrals of europe. Unsure how many there are but officially i think there is like 5 or so of em. Oh there is this one cathedral in finnland i would like to see, it is made of wood and is hugely viking looking, and huge too. :) Oh and the church of bones, where there are bones of the martyrs in the walls and the alter is made soley of the bones of martyrs, i forget what this church is called or where it is, and no it is not a satanic church, lol.

I think there's a Franciscan crypt church in Italy that has the bones everywhere...

Ancilla Domini

I've been to Lourdes and to Rome but don't really consider them pilgrimages since the one to Rome was a vacation and the one to Lourdes was a tour. I've made a pilgrimage from Paris to Chartres, though. (A full fledged pilgrimage where you walk the whole way. ;))

I'd love to walk the Camino, but after the way my body felt when I walked into Chartres Cathedral, I'm not sure I'd make the whole thing. XP I'd also love to go to the Holy Land, of course.

I think there's a Franciscan crypt church in Italy that has the bones everywhere...

I've been here! It's soo amazing!

Ancilla Domini

If you ever go to Rome, climb the Scala Santa - the stairs that Our Lord climbed to reach the judgement seat of Pilate.

One climbs them on one's knees, saying a prayer each step.

scala_santa_sacred_stairs_2.jpg