An Old School Catholic Message Board

Something Fun To Dream About!

SNJM

As some of you know, I'm in L.A. I sometimes work with neighboring dioceses. Recently, through one adventure after another, a beautiful house was donated for the purposes of discernment - basically to offer women the experience of living together, praying together, perhaps working off debt - and, since it is so large, we have the luxury of creating a chapel. (I will be the advocate and on site director). We will also be hosting prayer evenings for women interested in religious life, and days of prayer. Here's where you come in! We will not be able to have the Blessed Sacrament in our chapel, but we do want to make it a sacred space, reserved for prayer services, Lectio, LOH, Rosary, etc. . One of the women who will be moving in is a professional artist and has offered to do a mural on one of the walls. This chapel will be a little larger than a normal sized bedroom. It has a closet with mirrored sliding doors already removed. I'm very interested in hearing from any of regarding the following: What would your dream chapel consist of? What Saints come to mind? If you could choose a mural, what would it depict and what style? (The woman artist who has offered has shown me some lovely Beuron prints.) We have two women whom are definitely leaning towards Carmelite and one Benediction.
I was thinking that the open "closet" would be perfect for a credenza that we would decorate, the Bible, candles, etc. . We have a holy water font. Would you like kneelers? Prie-dieux? Chairs? Would you use the room for spiritual sharing or the recreation room? Would you want to be able to sign out the Chapel at certain times so you could spend time alone in there? I am thinking we should have a bookshelf filled with our prayer books. What do you think? One woman suggested wearing head coverings in the chapel - or at least letting that be an option - not necessarily mandatory. What do you think? It's very difficult to organize and create a chapel without the Blessed Sacrament, but The Word Of God will be given great significance. I am really hoping to get lots of ideas from different people so we can make this beautiful property welcoming to all who enter. It's a lovely opportunity for women in discernment to save money and experience prayerful communal living, with appropriate "rules." I am excited about this opportunity and dream coming to fruition, and in addition to your thoughts, I am hoping all of you will prayerfully answer & please, please keep this new venture in your thoughts and prayers. We have 5 women (plus me) preparing to move and I hope we will be one of many in this country! I think women (especially women!) need support as they embark on the possibility of religious life, and God willing, this will be a helpful bridge! Blessings and thanks, Rose

brandelynmarie

How exciting & what a blessing, Deo Gratias! :bounce: What I'm picturing is murals of the saints who founded/reformed religious Orders: St.Francis Francis of Assisi & St. Clare, St. Dominic, St. Benedict & St. Scholastica, St. Frances de Sales & St. Jane de Chantal, Holy Father Elijah with St. Teresa of Avila & St. John of the Cross... & use icons, say Rublev's Holy Trinity, one of our Blessed Mother as well as a Crucifix for a focal point for the Word of God. :)

Have several options in your oratory for different prayer positions, several chairs, one or two kneelers &/or prayer stools as well as a floor cushion or two.

Gotta have blessed candles...

Hmmm...more later...Will be praying for this beautiful intention!

Edited by brandelynmarie

Credo in Deum

I love this picture: Dore_Jesus_Praying_Mt_OlivesS.jpg

Then have this part of the verse as a banner underneath: "Could you not watch one hour with me?"--Matthew 26:40

There is a beautiful Reparation to the Sacred Heart prayer book I have which has this picture and that part of the verse, and it always inspires me to give my full attention to Christ in my prayer. To be alone with Him, praying, in this valley of tears.

Catherine Therese

A mural of the Annunciation might be a nice one for a house of discernment.

My school chapel when I was growing up had this as the mural behind the altar. It is essentially Christological, of course, for this is the moment of the Incarnation. But it is also the moment of Fiat, that great inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and that generous cooperation with Him on her part that culminated in a yes to echo down through the ages and inspire other women to give their lives to Him.  

Drawing of a Monstrance comes to mind! Also.. I hope there won't be a "age" limit on who can come and stay as they discern!
I think chapels should have (wooden) kneelers for sure!!!
I am very happy for you being able to do this! What a joy and much needed place for something such as this!!
Maybe one of the Bizillionairs that live here in Washington state, would be generous and donate a large living space in order to start a second place to have a wonderful opportunity in order to be able to do something like this!!
Personality, this is something that would help me alot!!!
In any case, thank you for posting this and allowing us to voice our ideas etc ;)

I wish wish wish we had something like this! It's really caught my imagination.

The only chapel I've ever been in that did not have an iconostasis and altar was in the women's dorms at the monastery of St. John the Baptist in Essex. It was a tiny room with rush matting on the floor and a couple of low wooden prayer stools. The walls were frescoed with icons and a red lamp hung before the main icon at the front (can't remember what it was now unfortunately). There were two stands with an icon each of the Mother of God and Christ. The heavy door and rush matting meant that it was basically soundproofed and so peaceful. I think a lot of women considering their path in life had probably prayed in there over the years :)

What comes to my mind is not to make anything to "finished", but rather to rest provisoire, so that each "new generation" can adapt the chapel to their needs. It is not a convent chapel, but in a "discernment" house there will be (hopefully!) a lot of movement, since people are entering, deciding for following God "in the world". .... I would not stick to certain carismes, etc. but make it a beautiful, lightful, very simple space where each "generation" is able to change what she needs. (p.ex. the question of chairs or kneelers...)

It is a beautiful project and I wish you all the best and keep you in my prayers

Thanks for your thoughts & answers!!! I want to answer a few questions...NO age limit! Part of the "deal" is that each person will commit to living in the house for at least a year (unless mutually decided it's best to leave, they enter somewhere OR they show an inability to live by the simple rules - which are: dinner together (unless work forbids it), silence "upstairs", three days of prayer time & sharing, daily recreation WITHOUT TV or iPhones, evening prayer before bed...and of course - Mass together on Sunday. Days of prayer, guests, etc., will be organized through me. There is a house like this (which has more turn around) for men in this diocese, so I'm hoping we can have some joint days or retreats, and of course, events with Sisters. The one thing I have seen the men's house do (and yes, they have the Blessed Sacrament, and yes, they have priests) is create a very changeable "place." After my own discernment, I don't want to do that. I want to create something that has some stability - not only for the women who live there, but for the women who visit and might end up on our waiting list!! I want to be able offer hospitality to women whom have left the convent and are at a loss; spiritually, mentally, emotionally & need time to be still. I LOVED the thought of the
Annuniciation! Patron saints of founding orders?! Great idea! Any ideas for the name of the house or the Chapel? It's fun to dream about this, knowing that it will indeed become a reality! I will keep you posted! And whoever made the comment about really wealthy people - yes, we need houses like this, to offer an opportunity to get life in order, get access to advice, and enter into a time of preparation. The "goal" is not to "get" women into the Convent! The goal is to help women (all ages) discover where God is calling them!! So there is no opportunity for failure here, and yes, the women who will be "our" pilot group have been psych tested, interviewed, etc. and one last thing, the Board & I decided that were we to include the women in the creation of the Chapel or the routine, it would create a false sense that Church/Communal Life is democracy. We struggle with that issue enough on a national basis! We really want this house to stand as witness to peace, stability, hospitality, prayer, and communal living. I know you have ALL had so many experiences, I want to learn from you! Rose

Hi! Lady-Indis here. :)  I'm brand new, and I'm excited to hear about your chapel project!

I would suggest head coverings be strongly encouraged in chapel...maybe put a basket of scarves, mantillas, and/or bananas near the door? I've seen that that helps people decide for them, esp. if everyone else is wearing one!

Decorations? How about a large crucifix right over/behind the altar? A picture of Mary, Undoer of Knots? (Sorry, it's really blurry!) After all, discerning sometimes feels like a knot with no end! 

mzl.sbftxvwh.jpg

Can't think of anything else right now, but I will pray for you!

God bless

Lady-Indis

Dear Lady-Indis,

I love this idea!!!! At this rate, the artist will be painting murals in every room!!
Keep them coming! I'm supposed to be having "practical/work" meetings, but my mind & heart feel like a super excited 20 year old!!!! I keep catching myself day dreaming! Oops!

Rose

What comes to my mind is not to make anything to "finished", but rather to rest provisoire, so that each "new generation" can adapt the chapel to their needs. It is not a convent chapel, but in a "discernment" house there will be (hopefully!) a lot of movement, since people are entering, deciding for following God "in the world". .... I would not stick to certain carismes, etc. but make it a beautiful, lightful, very simple space where each "generation" is able to change what she needs. (p.ex. the question of chairs or kneelers...)

It is a beautiful project and I wish you all the best and keep you in my prayers

That's a good idea.

Edited to add: and Juchu you're becoming so French! ;) Edited by marigold

That's a good idea.

Edited to add: and Juchu you're becoming so French! ;)

Yes, I know!! My english is becoming so bad, slowly french is becoming dominant in my head! I work with the volonteers who spend some weeks up to a year with us and so I constantly switch French/English/German/Spanish/Portugues..... Lately I wrote a paper with work descriptions and asked a native english speaker to correct it and I made some very funny mistakes. My english used to be really good (bilingual school, lived some time in an english speaking country) but now I am also making the structure of the sentences equally to the french ones. Well, I think it is a good sign that I have really arrived here ;)

and one last thing, the Board & I decided that were we to include the women in the creation of the Chapel or the routine, it would create a false sense that Church/Communal Life is democracy. We struggle with that issue enough on a national basis! We really want this house to stand as witness to peace, stability, hospitality, prayer, and communal living. I know you have ALL had so many experiences, I want to learn from you! Rose

You are right, communal life is not a democracy. But in a discernment house like this I see a big opportunity for learning to contribute to decision making, to learn to listen to each other, to learn to look what is good for the "entire body". Maybe something might not be my personal opinion or good for me, but I can learn to see that it is good for the unity of the entire body.  This does imply to learn that maybe a different decision is being taken that I think is the good one. And maybe that the decision is not being taken by me at all, but by a resident person and a board of directors. Obedience is complex!

my two cents....