An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vigil For Persecuted Christians

pippo buono

I'm a missionary living in Ayaviri, which is a small town in the High Andes of Peru.

Although the world can appear really small here, we wanted to open ourselves to what's going on beyond our little town.

So we decided to have a vigil for the persecuted Christians in the Middle East.

We filled the night with prayers, which is more than enough in itself. However, we wanted to leave a visible expression of solidarity for our brothers who suffer on the other side of the world.

So those of us who finished/waited for our turn to pray took the time to make this video. We didn't have much to work with, but we're really proud of how in came out. We did it in Spanish and in Quechua, but there are subtitles in English.

Maybe you all would like to do something similar?

As an Eastern Christian, I want to thank you.

As me, I am curious how it was learning Quechua. Did you take a course or learn from people you know? Was it hard? So much I do not know...

You're welcome.

The reality is that I'm still learning. I still haven't been here for very long (I haven't even completed my first year), and there are a number of challenges in learning Quechua. Being an indigenous language, there are much fewer resources available for learning it. Moreover, I've found that when I have questions concerning grammar and the like, the people aren't able to help me much. For them the knowledge is entirely intuitive, and they don't necessarily understand the rules of what they say.

So it became clear for me that I have to have a similar intuitive approach in learning the language in the meantime. My community is planning on setting apart some time to have some intense courses soon, which will be quite welcomed on my part. Spanish, although known by most in the Andes, can only get you so far. If you want the evangelization to really have an impact here, Quechua is essential.

puellapaschalis

When I was doing linguistics I was always so fascinated by research projects that "just" went out and worked on descriptive grammars.

That is, researchers would go out into a population as you do, learn the language just as you're doing, with the goal of figuring out how the language's grammar (or sounds, etc) works and then writing all that down. As you say, it's hard because the majority if not all of these people don't think about their language's grammar...they just speak! I was in contact with someone who did this work in Papua for her PhD. It was wonderful to talk with her and learn about it.

(Sorry, off-topic)

When I was doing linguistics I was always so fascinated by research projects that "just" went out and worked on descriptive grammars.

In reality I'm not as cool as those people. Although Quechua is an indigenous language, it's the most spoken indigenous language in the world. So it's not like we're in 0 like some of these other truly awesome people you mention.

That being said, the fact that there is significantly less resources in comparison to other languages makes the adventure all the more exciting!

Ok and now that I've watched it - beautiful! I love it!

Was the correspondence between the 'Nazarene' symbol and the monstrance deliberate? If so it was pretty cool :)

Was the correspondence between the 'Nazarene' symbol and the monstrance deliberate? If so it was pretty cool :)

It wasn't, actually. But neither were a lot of the connections that just happened to fall into place. Intuition inspired by grace, I suppose.  :)

My expectations were surpassed. For those who are interested, I received a response from Fr. Luis Montes VE, the priest in Iraq to whom we sent the video and who directs the webpage Amigos de Irak. He said the following:

Dear Philip: Thank you so much for the gift!

I suppose you may have seen that we put the video on our blog. A lot of people have seen it, and messages have come in that manifest that they liked it. It even appears in ACIPrensa.

God bless you all!

Greetings to everyone!!!

I can now say mission accomplished! I'm so glad that our little overlooked town in the middle of nowhere could offer something of value in this time of crisis.