An Old School Catholic Message Board

Taize Monastic Community

onajourney

I remember the former prioress of Grandchamp once saying that they were once seen as a sort of female equivalent of Taizé (without being that officially) but that at a certain point their community consciously broke away from that idea in order to develop in their own way - although they retained good relations with the brothers. I'm not sure whether that was when they ceased to have a community at Taizé (I had thought it was earlier than that) but I imagine that it may have been. FWIW....

​Yes, you are right that there always has been - and still is - a good and close relationship between the two communities. The Grandchamp community, as you can read on their homepage here, has their beginnings in the 30s with the ministry of retreats. So they have always also had "their own way". It is also true that when the sisters adapted the rule and the liturgy in the 50s, the connections got stronger, because the unity of the vocation got more visible. That the community focused again more to "develop their own way", was during the time when the former prioress started her ministry, so many years before the community stopped to have a presence in Taizé. Also while Grandchamp "developed more their own way", there was always a relationship between the communities.