An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Blogosphere

Amppax

I follow Brandon Vogt on Facebook (Fr. Barron's right hand tech man) and he's been picking on this site (http://www.cruxnow.com/) recently. From context I'm guessing the site is pretty new, and that it's on the dissident side. He's singled out a couple of columns from their "ethical advice" columnist as examples of their poor start. 

On a similar note, I've been hearing that some of those affiliated with Patheos are leaving, and that it's looking like a lot of people aren't too happy with them. Marc Barnes (BadCatholic) has recently said he's leaving, and deleting his archive. What's up with the Catholic Blogosphere? 

I think there are Catholic bloggers out there who, perceiving Francis to be less focused on doctrinal orthodoxy, feel emboldened to express what had previously been latent, perhaps suppressed heterodoxy and modernism. Under Benedict, whom they perceive as 'ultra-orthodox', they had to likewise express themselves in a very orthodox manner if they wanted 'street cred' in the Catholic blogosphere.

Whether or not Francis is or is not, I think that perception plays a role. I think many popular bloggers are rather sycophantic in the sense that they are willing to compromise a message of orthodoxy in favour of greater popularity under a 'new regime'.

An alternate possibility, and one to which I am rather sympathetic, is that many 'professional Catholics' have let their (rather minor) fame and influence go to their heads. Given that blogs exploded when they did, perhaps they are all beginning to implode on a more or less parallel timeline. 

I think there are Catholic bloggers out there who, perceiving Francis to be less focused on doctrinal orthodoxy, feel emboldened to express what had previously been latent, perhaps suppressed heterodoxy and modernism. Under Benedict, whom they perceive as 'ultra-orthodox', they had to likewise express themselves in a very orthodox manner if they wanted 'street cred' in the Catholic blogosphere.

Whether or not Francis is or is not, I think that perception plays a role. I think many popular bloggers are rather sycophantic in the sense that they are willing to compromise a message of orthodoxy in favour of greater popularity under a 'new regime'.

An alternate possibility, and one to which I am rather sympathetic, is that many 'professional Catholics' have let their (rather minor) fame and influence go to their heads. Given that blogs exploded when they did, perhaps they are all beginning to implode on a more or less parallel timeline. 

Interesting. I know a lot of the angst I've heard concerning Patheos has been regarding posts made recently concerning homosexuality, which seems to be the issue of the day. Could play into your first suggestion. As to the second, yeah, that makes a lot of sense too. I've seen that happen on quite a few occasions, not necessarily on a grand scale, but yeah. 

There is certainly a lot swirling around our Holy Father these days. More proof that we ought to pray for him every day. 

I second that. Easy come, easy go and all that.

Off topic, but I've read posts online where the tone sounded terrible, and then spoken with them in real life and re-read the topic, and realized it wasn't a mean/sarcastic/bitter/pompous tone they were writing it, it was a nicer tone expressed differently. Kind of like the different culture flavors between Star Trek and Star Wars. Without body language it is so, so, so difficult to communicate. 

I think blogging is on its way out anyway. People seem to spend more time on social media, where everything is served up in bite-sized chunks. It's a shame, as really good quality Catholic blogging is still necessary. I agree with Nihil's take on things - people are often motivated by popularity and what will get them most page views, so they write on issues that are considered 'topical' (to be honest, I would rather read an insightful commentary on a Bible text or a post on liturgical symbolism than the 452nd article on homosexuality in a month) at the expense of producing more solid content. The blogosphere is also prone to gossip and cults of 'celebrity', with people forgetting that they run a popular blog and not the entire northern hemisphere, which doesn't help.

Basilisa Marie

Well, Marc (bad Catholic) is a college student right? Maybe he's trying to start a new chapter of his life.

I think there's WAY too much drama in the Catholic blog world. I don't even participate in tumblr Catholic stuff and I've been rather rudely attacked by this one popular blogger a few times, and it's just given me a bad taste. I do follow simcha though. :)

Well, Marc (bad Catholic) is a college student right? Maybe he's trying to start a new chapter of his life.

I think there's WAY too much drama in the Catholic blog world. I don't even participate in tumblr Catholic stuff and I've been rather rudely attacked by this one popular blogger a few times, and it's just given me a bad taste. I do follow simcha though. :)

I know Marc (not close friends, friendly acquaintances). He's got more projects going on, never mind classwork, than he knows what to do with. But also, I get the feeling that he's lost his touch with the blogging, and that it really isn't the medium for him anymore. I know he's working on a book at the moment. 

Basilisa Marie

Frankly I'm surprised Marc hasn't gotten a book deal yet. I feel like he was one of the few who really did a good job measuring his snark.