An Old School Catholic Message Board

St. Scholastica Priory Come And See

andibc

This is certainly a fine, vibrant and healthy community. Office is in Latin using the Solesmes books. mass is also in Latin and they use the Propers also in Latin. the property is beautiful and about halfway between Boston and Albany. They have two juniors at the moment i think.

Their history is quite interesting. Perhaps someone more educated than I will tell the story. I believe Sister Mary Catharine is familiar with their story!

This sounds like a very welcoming community to make this available. I hope people will take advantage of it!

Blessings and prayers,
Rose

They do have a fascinating history. The house they are in is a former summer house. It was once leased by Bill Cosby when he was working on his doctorate. The group itself was initially part of the feeneyite community in Still River. Part of the community is also from their former daughter house at Tickfaw, LA. There are at least three Harvard grads. The Novice Mistress is the older sister of the Prioress. Their oldest member recently died at the age of 98 after 50 years in Solemn Profession. I a not sure you can still make your Solemn Profession when you are that young anymore!

IgnatiusofLoyola

They do have a fascinating history. The house they are in is a former summer house. It was once leased by Bill Cosby when he was working on his doctorate. The group itself was initially part of the feeneyite community in Still River. Part of the community is also from their former daughter house at Tickfaw, LA. There are at least three Harvard grads. The Novice Mistress is the older sister of the Prioress. Their oldest member recently died at the age of 98 after 50 years in Solemn Profession. I a not sure you can still make your Solemn Profession when you are that young anymore!

You mean "that old," right? If she was 98, and celebrating her 50th Jubilee, she would have been 48 when she made Solemn Profession, so probably entered in her 40's.

I live across the street from several religious Sisters who have celebrated their 75th Jubilee, and were able to make it to their party! These Sisters range in age from late 90's to early 100's, which would put them around their mid-20's for final Profession, which isn't unusual, particularly back then. Granted, back in the day, this Order allowed some girls to make first profession at 18 (although I believe that was unusual), but I THINK (not sure) that if they made their first profession that young, they spent a longer period of time in temporary vows before making final vows.

And 48 isn't old for making Solemn Profession. Sister Mary Amata of the Summit Dominicans made Solemn Profession within the past couple of years, and while I don't know her age, my guess is that she was older than 48.

I also could EASILY be missing your point completely, and when you refer to Solemn Profession it means something different than what I mean. :hmmm:

IgnatiusofLoyola

Sorry that was 80th anniversary of Solemn Profession, meaning that she made her Solemn Profession at the age of 18

Oh okay. That is VERY young!