An Old School Catholic Message Board

Boston Visitors!

macguy4143

Hello Pham! Happy to be back on the phorum. Anyone in the Boston area should stop by this incredible catholic church called The Paulist Centre: Boston. Anyone been???

I visited when I was going to grad school. But I couldn't relax. IDK it felt angsty, high strung. Although everyone was nice. The great thing about Boston is there are so many religious communities. Religious priests are awesomesauce and you can see how the community charisms flavor their ministry.
I ended up dividing my time between these two places:

St Anthony Shrine -- run by the Franciscans. Confessions for several hours a day, every day of the week - and they are gentle, thorough confessors. They have a wonderful ministry of providing for funerals for the city's homeless population. The atmosphere is low key, less "dramatic" or something than the Paulist Center.
St. Clements Shrine-- open 24 hrs for perpetual Eucharistic Adoration. College and grad students flock here from across the city, some from the suburbs. Run by the Oblates of the Virgin Mary. Finest homilies I have ever heard, week after week a home run. Their ministry is spiritual direction and they are darn good at it.

Great to hear that you have visited! It is a very different style of Catholic church. With all there liturgical dancing and beautiful signing, it makes it a very .... different atmosphere. I live in a small seaside city about 40 min outside of Boston and come in every weekend for the sunday noon. I have not visited those churches yet but will look into them :) 

I visited when I was going to grad school. But I couldn't relax. IDK it felt angsty, high strung. Although everyone was nice. The great thing about Boston is there are so many religious communities. Religious priests are awesomesauce and you can see how the community charisms flavor their ministry.
I ended up dividing my time between these two places:

St Anthony Shrine -- run by the Franciscans. Confessions for several hours a day, every day of the week - and they are gentle, thorough confessors. They have a wonderful ministry of providing for funerals for the city's homeless population. The atmosphere is low key, less "dramatic" or something than the Paulist Center.
St. Clements Shrine-- open 24 hrs for perpetual Eucharistic Adoration. College and grad students flock here from across the city, some from the suburbs. Run by the Oblates of the Virgin Mary. Finest homilies I have ever heard, week after week a home run. Their ministry is spiritual direction and they are darn good at it.

wow, Eucharistic Adoration 24 hours. That is a rare privilege.

Great to hear that you have visited! It is a very different style of Catholic church. With all there liturgical dancing and beautiful signing, it makes it a very .... different atmosphere. I live in a small seaside city about 40 min outside of Boston and come in every weekend for the sunday noon. I have not visited those churches yet but will look into them :)

:twitch:

Anne or Cod?

Cape Ann :)

Sweet, you know St. Joe's in Wakefield has near perpetual adoration, right?  They don't have it during Mass and Saturday?  Not sure.  But it's a pretty aggressive schedule.   It's a bit of a drive from all points Cape, but way worth it.  I know they also have pretty strong parish ministries.  I had a friend on Cape Anne so when I'd visit we'd go there.

Sweet, you know St. Joe's in Wakefield has near perpetual adoration, right?  They don't have it during Mass and Saturday?  Not sure.  But it's a pretty aggressive schedule.   It's a bit of a drive from all points Cape, but way worth it.  I know they also have pretty strong parish ministries.  I had a friend on Cape Anne so when I'd visit we'd go there.

Never been. Sounds like it might be worth a drive. I have my local parish here on Cape Ann called St. Anns