An Old School Catholic Message Board

Weird Things Non-catholics Have Told You

RoseOfGuadalupe

That's literally eat his flesh, not symbolically, thank you very much Mr. Uneducated Meme Creator.

Maybe it's talking about Protestantism.

I had a woman I dated tell me that if she would ever be married, she would be married in the catholic church 'cause they've been around for at least '100 years'.

Ya, things didn't work out between us.

When I was going to see john Paul the Great in 1993 (World Youth Day), my friends asked me what the 'big deal' was all about.  I told them that we get together with the pope and burn protestants on wooden stakes.  After that, they all wanted to come.   :unsure:

Edited by Didacus

Let's see....aside from the usual "you have dirt on your forehead" on Ash Wednesday, I've heard: 

1)  There is a church that shows Mary crucified on the cross.   

2)  That the reason Catholics can't eat meat on Fridays is that the Pope wanted to help his brother who had a fish market: 

http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1661618#post1661618 (caution:  some crude posts on this forum).

3)  Once on a Friday I had a slice of cheese pizza and my friend said to me, "You know, Passover is over.  You can eat meat now". 

Edited by Norseman82

Not A Mallard

When I was going to see john Paul the Great in 1993 (World Youth Day), my friends asked me what the 'big deal' was all about.  I told them that we get together with the pope and burn protestants on wooden stakes.  After that, they all wanted to come.   :unsure:

That escalated quickly.

Not A Mallard

I've heard some under the impression that Catholics don't drink.

One can argue that those under 21 who take the chalice drink, but that ain't really wine.

Nihil Obstat

One can argue that those under 21 who take the chalice drink, but that ain't really wine.

Worldwide, I am sure that the majority of Catholics under the age of 21 drink, at least occasionally.

I was told that all monks are homosexuals. I was 13 at the time and did not know what a Homosexual was or why that was a Bad Thing

1.) A non-Catholic friend who accompanied me to church one day was warned by her dad not to come. He told her that he'd been in a Catholic church once to see what they were like inside and he'd found people 'praying to a red candle'.

2.) An Evangelical Protestant missionary once sent me a tract that talked about the miserable rule-bound state that we Catholics live in. An example of this state is the fact that we're all morally obliged to eat fish on Fridays, or - and I'm quoting directly here - macaroni cheese. (If that were true it really would be a huge penance for me. *shudders*)

3.) Trying to check the religious understanding of my non-Catholic nephew, who was nine at the time and enrolled in a Catholic school, I asked him, "Robert, do you know what Mass is?" The reply: "Yes, it's when Father Pearce goes to the front and eats that teabag."

I'm sure there are others, but those are the three that really stick out. The last one especially!

Basilisa Marie

In high school a bunch of us would get together on lunch breaks and carpool to noon mass on Holy Days of Obligation, because it felt super cool to skip out on public school for religious reasons. On Ash Wednesday of my senior year everyone piled into my car to do the same thing (because why not), and we got our ashes at mass. 

When my friend and I went to our AP US Gov and Politics class, my teacher (a democrat who tried hard to be unbiased) remarked, "So why do you guys have the black spot of death on your foreheads?" My friend and I laughed and told her it was Ash Wednesday. 

She was absolutely horrified with embarrassment, and started apologizing profusely for her comment. We busted a gut laughing at the look on her face, and reassured her that we weren't offended at all, and in fact that was probably a really accurate descriptor for what the ashes meant. :)  

RoseOfGuadalupe

3.) Trying to check the religious understanding of my non-Catholic nephew, who was nine at the time and enrolled in a Catholic school, I asked him, "Robert, do you know what Mass is?" The reply: "Yes, it's when Father Pearce goes to the front and eats that teabag."

Fr. P eats a what