An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayers, Please! May Be Signing Out Of Vocation Station...

Ancilla Domini

The other thing is that remember with religious life, discerning and the discerning journey continues through aspirancy, postulancy and then the noviciate up to Final Vows.  You are not committed at all the moment you knock on their door and ask about them, even if you decide to do a live-in.  It is all part of discerning and the discerning journey.  With marriage it is probably courtship and then the engagement.

Nuns and religious sisters are very happy people most often, delightful people..........and they are not on their knees 24x7, not even in monastic contemplative life.  Ok to ask all the questions you have of religious and their way of life and they are usually very happy to respond........and before any sort of considering, even a live-in for a few weeks to get a taste of the life.

I am hoping that you will be able to find a spiritual director and very soon and this will be an intention of mine for you.  This, I think, is the best way to start out or continue on a discerning journey and perhaps most especially if one is unsure or even somewhat unsure about which road and direction to take.  The important thing re vocation and where one is being called is to remember that all roads lead to God.

I did read somewhere or other that very often it is the one who is convinced they have a religious vocation that prove not to have one (not always mind you!) and those that are very shaky and unsure initially are the ones who seem to stay.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

• 4 weeks later...
Ancilla Domini

I wrote to Sister Scholastica of the Benedictines of Mary, (the order I am/was interested in) telling her about everything that was going on with me and asking if I could still visit, to be sure, and she said (among other things, of course) that she was afraid that she couldn't let me come and visit unless I am quite sure of my calling to the religious life, since they have very limited space. :unsure: So, I'm not exactly sure what to do...there aren't any other convents that I've really interested in, and I know that if I'm to be sure whether I am or am not called somewhere, I need to visit. But visiting any convent other than the Benedictines is not going to help me in that respect...soo.... :unsure: Thoughts?

In Corde Matris,

– Cilla

puellapaschalis

Go visit.

Here's my reasoning: you're attracted enough to OSB life (which of course is the best order there is but don't tell the Carmelites here that) that you got in touch with her. So there's that.

As to timing: offer Christ, before anyone or anything else, the wholeness and entirety of your heart and devotion and life. If He would rather you do something else, He will make that clear. But give Him first "refusal" (not that He ever would, but you understand the concept I'm getting at I hope).

Perhaps something to try would be going to a general vocations retreat to try to determine whether or not you have a vocation to the religious life before visiting with a specific order? The only trouble would be that usually these retreats are sponsored by specific orders and tend to be for people who are discerning with a specific order. I am sure there is something though. If you can't find one of those, obviously turn to prayer, the sacraments and spiritual direction (though you should do those whether or not you go to a retreat). Spend some quiet time in front of the Blessed Sacrament, and just wait. He will make the answer known, in His timing.

Ancilla Domini

I am not holy, and my prayers are probably not worth much, but I will surely pray for you. :)

Thank you so much, curiousing. :) Your prayers are worth so much - how could the prayers of one whom Our Lord loved so much that He died for her "not be worth much?" ;)

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Go visit.

Here's my reasoning: you're attracted enough to OSB life (which of course is the best order there is but don't tell the Carmelites here that) that you got in touch with her. So there's that.

As to timing: offer Christ, before anyone or anything else, the wholeness and entirety of your heart and devotion and life. If He would rather you do something else, He will make that clear. But give Him first "refusal" (not that He ever would, but you understand the concept I'm getting at I hope).

this

Seconding this!

Ancilla Domini

Go visit.

this

Seconding this!

I would love to, I really would! But in response to my letter, Sister Scholastica said that unless I am fairly certain of my call, she can't really ask me to come on a visit, since they have limited space. I know I really want to go visit them, but of course I can't just respond, "jk, I'm fairly certain of my call! Let me come!" so that I can visit...

Lovely Cilla....I am not around much anywhere at the moment. I will pray, yes, most certainly.

And from a purely selfish point of view, I will be very happy if you continue to be around on VS or any other part of the phorum, and if ever you leave for whatever reason. I would miss you!

Ancilla Domini

Lovely Cilla....I am not around much anywhere at the moment. I will pray, yes, most certainly.

And from a purely selfish point of view, I will be very happy if you continue to be around on VS or any other part of the phorum, and if ever you leave for whatever reason. I would miss you!

Thank you, Max. :) :buddies:

Perhaps you could visit another Benedictine convent? While I know you are only interested in the Benedictines of Mary, there are a few other Benies that are similar to them. Clear Creek, and Regina Laudis are also TLM communities, and they also live out monastic life in a similar way to the BoM's,  That way you could still go on a visit, (with a community of the same family), to better discern if you are called to religious life.

Praying for you in this season of life!