An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reality Show About Five Women Discerning Religious Life

DameAgnes

I'm a bit weary about this as well, especially since the trailer has come out. First of all they keep using the term "novice" incorrectly. Second it seems as though the young women that are a part of the show aren't fully aware of the requirements of the convent before entering (no make-up, cells phones, etc.). This looks like something more along the lines of "The Convent" show, where various women lived in the convent for several weeks. I'm rather upset at the way they are describing the show, it's extremely misleading.

(small side note: what pre-postulants wear pencil skirts? Seriously?)

Tradosaurus Rex

I'm skeptical that the main stream media will be able to treat the subject of religious life with respect and dignity. In short I hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Prayers that God will bring some good out of this.

Ooh, ooh ooh.........the trailer was SOOOOO bad.  Locking the girls in their rooms at night?  Pencil skirts? And I could go on and on.  Don't think I'm going to be watching. And IMHO, I don't think it's good for the Sisters either.  But....stranger things have happened  :nun3:

Yeah but after I looked at the website I'm a little confused. The young woman that I met that was supposed to be on the show was named Angela and none of those women are her lol. Plus she told me it would be on TLC not lifetime, unless this is a different show but I'll be surprised if there are two reality shows about this...

I would not at all be surprised if TLC had their own version coming up. There are many different shows that feature the Amish on different cable networks. People have a curious fascination with them, just as they do with Sisters. The networks love doing copycat shows, if those shows have good ratings.

Funny, I talked to Cracked as well about writing a piece for them. Didn't go forward with it, but I'll admit, it was tempting. The piece would have been very difficult to express for them in a manner that would still be respectful of religious life in general, though. That was important to me.

AveMariaPurissima

A friend and I have been discussing this show, and we both feel a bit wary of it, especially after watching the trailer.  But I am interested to see the actual show once it starts.

If you follow the link to the trailer, there's also an option to view photos. Whew!! Neon nail polish, lots of jewelry including multiple piercings, heavy makeup. Are these girls aspirants or what?! Maybe I'm too old to get it :)

If you follow the link to the trailer, there's also an option to view photos. Whew!! Neon nail polish, lots of jewelry including multiple piercings, heavy makeup. Are these girls aspirants or what?! Maybe I'm too old to get it :)

I looked at the photos and think the network is blatantly sexualizing them in any way possible: posture, stance, gaze...

I looked at the photos and think the network is blatantly sexualizing them in any way possible: posture, stance, gaze...

No kidding - that's what struck me about the pictures the first time I saw them.  The garb they're wearing almost makes me think the network is trying to fetishize them - their uniform looks rather Catholic-school-girlish.

puellapaschalis

Nothing about reality tv is actually real. It wouldn't surprise me if these 'discerners' were in fact actresses looking for their break, and willing to do anything the producers told them to do.

I hold the hope that God will use this situation to touch the hearts of these women in such a way that it will be visible to all who see it.  We may be forgetting that God has given us the means to help these women in their discernment.   We should remember these women in our prayers and during Mass, and offer our penances up for their conversion.   They are our sisters in Christ and we are their family.  

veritasop1206

These attempts by various media people to get into the mind and heart and soul of a discerner (whether the person is discerning consecrated religious life, priesthood, or marriage) fail dismally. Discernment is a deeply personal journey and something like this trivializes that journey. It's sad and disappointing.

Wow, the trailer features the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm.  I used to live down the road from their motherhouse and work in their nursing home.  They are a good group of sisters but I knew from the beginning I was not being called to the active life.  It's good to see them.  Seems a tad bit over dramatized.

Peace and Good "Kateri89"
Just wanted to say sorry that that I only recently found your message and have now sent you a reply.
I hope to hear from you soon!
Best wishes of Holiness,
Friar Antonio.

Hey you guys might catch a glimpse of my face if you watch the show :)  I was on a retreat with one of the women that's on this show.  Just a couple months ago I was visiting the Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth and the film crew was there so at most you might see me entering the chapel with the rest of the young women and that's about it lol.

Spem in alium

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought the girls were being sexualized in those pics. 

Oh no, they are clearly being sexualised - so unnecessary and inappropriate. Praying for these women and for the Sisters featured - I hope they have a positive experience journeying together.