An Old School Catholic Message Board

Father Benedict Groeschel Died

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Fr. Benedict Groeschel died last night - the same day as St Francis of Assisi.

(I love when God adds a final note like that.)

May he rest in peace. We've truly lost a very beautiful man.

The Catholic Church and the Franciscan family lost a giant today. This moment is one that finds the Community of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal (CFR) with mixed emotions, as we are deeply saddened by the loss of Fr. Benedict but also relieved that God has set him free from the physical and mental suffering he has experienced over the past decade.

http://franciscanfriars.com/father-benedict/

Edited by FuturePacker

I had the privilege of meeting him once. He blessed me, prayed with me, and gave me advice about a young teenager with severe mental health problems whom I was caring for at the time. He promised to pray for her by name every day and I've no doubt that he kept his promise. A remarkably gentle man with such a wicked sense of humour. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.

I met him in Florida the day before he got hit by the car. He was the one who told me to give Ave Maria Singles a try. He changed my life.

I never met him but I remember some of his broadcasts on EWTN. I met some of the CFR's in Albuquerque and have stayed at their friary a couple times.

Thy Geekdom Come

He led my seminarian retreat in 2003. A living saint. I was too nervous to go to Confession with him. I wish I had. I hear he could read hearts.

When we met, he was walking up the hall toward me. He shook my hand, asked my name. When I mentioned my last name, he said, "Murphy? You know what that means, right?"

"Sea warrior, Father."

He yanked my arm and pulled me in close with a mischievous grin.

"Or PIRATE!"

CountrySteve21

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace.

Edited by CountrySteve21