An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am Soon Departing From This State

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

I am going to the airport at 3:30 in the morning, and shall be departing from this wretched State for the cold and rugged rains of Indiana for 8 days.

This is my first time flying in a plane, and I have a layover flight in Chicago O'Hare, which is the second busiest airport in North America. Keep in mind I am doing all of these flights alone with no one to guide me but the moody TSA agents.

Yay adulthood.

PhuturePriest

Just don't joke about bombs or having ebola.

P.S. thank you. :)

I told my friend last week on the phone that as I go through security I should tell the TSA agent "Dude, I am the bomb!".

She told me to make my humor behave and try not to get detained. :|

Not The Philosopher

Oddly enough, I went on quite a few plane rides as a child/teenager, but have hitherto not done so as an adult.

PhuturePriest

Oddly enough, I went on quite a few plane rides as a child/teenager, but have hitherto not done so as an adult.

Aside from the stress of having no clue what I'm doing, flying sounds like it will be fun to me. I reserved window seats for myself, so it should be quite the ride.

Ash Wednesday

The first time I ever flew on an airplane was in college. Tiny bug smasher plane.

First commercial flight was an international flight to London. Some of the best times of my life. (Who knew I'd end up living in those parts)

Some people get very scared about flying, after one very bad flight across the Atlantic I got really nervous about flying for a while but just reminded myself that it's statistically WAY safer to fly when it comes to modes of transportation.

I love airports and flying. My husband always gets pulled aside for the pat down search and it's actually been so frequent now it's a running joke between us.

PhuturePriest

The first time I ever flew on an airplane was in college. Tiny bug smasher plane.

First commercial flight was an international flight to London. Some of the best times of my life. (Who knew I'd end up living in those parts)

Some people get very scared about flying, after one very bad flight across the Atlantic I got really nervous about flying for a while but just reminded myself that it's statistically WAY safer to fly when it comes to modes of transportation.

I love airports and flying. My husband always gets pulled aside for the pat down search and it's actually been so frequent now it's a running joke between us.

I'm quite compliant and apathetic to pat downs, to be honest. I don't know why so many people freak out about them. Seems like a good conversation starter, really. "Needless to say I've been working on my calves and quads recently. Pretty nice, don't ya think?"

But really. If I'm chosen for a pat down it will put into question the judgment of the TSA as a whole. Anyone who looks at me and thinks I'm a threat is either mentally deranged or dangerously paranoid.

Flying sounds really fun. I'd imagine on long flights it's pretty boring, but these are only two hour flights from airport to airport. Also, the second flight will be on a commuter airline, so I'm going to feel it every time a person shifts their weight or coughs. Thankfully I'm not afraid of planes or heights, so I'll be pretty okay on it.

Ash Wednesday

I'm not really sure what makes people get selected for pat downs if they don't look overtly suspicious. Though my husband is a bit of an odd one and has a penchant for odd radio equipment, pelican cases and numerous techie gadgets so that probably doesn't help. 

It's definitely a privacy issue with a lot of people taking issue, though. The recent ones where you stick your arms up in the air to get your picture taken in that tube and it's practically a naked x-ray is pretty unsettling. I got one of those in the past year and just thought, "Good thing I'm in the best shape of my life." :|

PhuturePriest

I'm not really sure what makes people get selected for pat downs if they don't look overtly suspicious. Though my husband is a bit of an odd one and has a penchant for odd radio equipment, pelican cases and numerous techie gadgets so that probably doesn't help. 

It's definitely a privacy issue with a lot of people taking issue, though. The recent ones where you stick your arms up in the air to get your picture taken in that tube and it's practically a naked x-ray is pretty unsettling. I got one of those in the past year and just thought, "Good thing I'm in the best shape of my life." :|

Meh, I'm kind of a doormat. :P I'm also just not a private person, if you haven't been able to tell from my Phatmass history. I don't mind naked x-rays in the name of security, but I understand why others would.

In other news, if a terrorist attacks on the plane, I can put my words from my most regretful Phatmass thread ever to the test and see if I really would be the first one to stand up and fight. :|

If I am, Hasan owes me a sandwich, because he called BS on it.

I told my friend last week on the phone that as I go through security I should tell the TSA agent "Dude, I am the bomb!".

Hahahahah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY_mtfhiMJw

Ash Wednesday

Meh, I'm kind of a doormat. :P I'm also just not a private person, if you haven't been able to tell from my Phatmass history. I don't mind naked x-rays in the name of security, but I understand why others would.

My life is too boring for me to care. Eavesdroppers be like "all she does is say the hail mary and talk about art and cats."

My best tips for getting through security is to smile and be nice to the agents. I always tell them good morning and ask how their day is going. And then thank them when they return my documents to me. 

Good luck at O'hare I HATE O'Hare. if I have to go through Chicago I prefer Midway. Though with any airport I always find my connecting gate first before I do anything else (like get a snack or go to the bathroom, unless I really really have to pee). The gate agents are usually pretty helpful if you are lost just go up to any gate agent and they can point you in the right direction. You'll survive.

Window seats rock, best for sleeping and for the views. My personal pick is window seats right in front of the wing, because that is the most stable point of the aircraft (yes I'm an airplane nerd).Coming out of Chicago you might catch the tip of the Lake Michigan, its pretty cool. I love flying over the Great Lakes (and I love living by them).