An Old School Catholic Message Board

Meeting The Superior

Mr Cameron

This weekend, I'll be sitting down with the superior of the Redemptorists to discuss my vocation.

What should I say? What should I do? What kind of wine do I bring?

Just be yourself. They will ask the questions mostly..be honest, answers should be directed to the question asked..elaborate when its called for. Have your own questions ready.Its natural to feel excited and nervous. Try and relax though. You are not being interviewed by the FBI or IRS!! Lol Other advice on here will be more helpful Im sure!

• 2 weeks later...

Relax, and don't overthink it.

I allowed myself to over think the situation once and ended up beating around the bush, majorly. 

veritasluxmea

When I meet with the Vocation Director for the order I'm discerning with, I was super worried and of course trying not to make a fool of myself- but it went super well. I acted as if I was meeting with my manager at work, but was honest about where I was and what I was thinking. I had questions and what I wanted to tell her clearly laid out before I did the meeting. Sure, I wasn't perfect (am I ever?) and I would have phrased some things differently, but it felt like I could be myself and act natural, and she liked me. So it went well. I'll pray yours goes the same. So my best advice is: know what you're going to ask/say before going in. 

I'd say to simply be yourself. You've probably done, or are doing,  all this anyway but this is my advice > Have a think about where you've come from, where you've been and where God was in that. Maybe review over how has your sense of vocation grew or come through over time? Why the Redemptorists etc. How does that relate to the sacraments, the liturgy, prayer and a sense of religious calling? Are you called to a brother and or priest brother vocation, and why would you think so? I think they simply look for honesty, a well rounded person (never out to impress nor hinder), who has a mature outlook and understanding of their life (as far as you can anyway).

Maybe do some reading on religious life/priesthood and the redemptorist charism before you go. If you can dig out their constitutions/statutes, as a means of undertsanding the order and its life (or if you have questions, this will help). Most orders I've visited love sharing chocolates, biscuits, crackers, sweets, tea etc. I took wine once and I got  told by a brother jokingly that I'd soon learn with them what is good wine. I stayed neutral ground after that on what I carried along :hehe2:

The British Redemptorists I've met have been really welcoming, so I'm sure you'll do great. I've met them a few times, in their parish retreats, but mostly at Invocation and about. They aren't for me but I wish you the best of luck

Edited by Benedictus

p.s if only you were the PM David Cameron, then I could have an extra reason to pray for you to lose next years election :hehe2:.  It would be a win win situation  :bounce:

• 5 months later...