An Old School Catholic Message Board

Entering A Monastery Our Of State - Insurance Dilema

SilentJoy

I am entering a monastery in another state. I've been staying with them for five months but have not officially become a resident yet. I can't be insured under their Medicaid until I have been a resident for 6 months, so I have to be insured (as inexpensively as possible!) on my own plan for now. I have no health problems (barring an accident) and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions? My current PPO plan, since I'm out of state, will cover emergencies only, and its going to cost the same amount.

Edited by SilentJoy

Is it possible to stay on your own PPO plan for an extra month until you can sign up for Medicaid? Its not ideal but it is only for a month.

brandelynmarie

Maybe Sr. Mary Catharine would have some suggestions. And didn't we have a thread somewhere around here on insurance in RL?

:secret: SJ, I am so so so soooo happy for you!

Edited by brandelynmarie

Thanks, all, for your suggestions. I think it is going to be simpler to just stay on my own plan for now; I can afford to keep it a little longer and it's actually (for now!) a teensy bit cheaper than Obamacare and any catastrophic plan I might want to get out here. Legally, I could probably file an exemption (change in state of life and income) and wouldn't be fined for not having insurance at the moment but the nuns wouldn't like that too well. :hehe2:

Changing healthcare is a pain. Ok health insurance in general is a pain. I'm transitioning between jobs so that means transitioning healthcare....

Nevermind, I called my insurance to be sure, and they said that I'm only covered out-of-state (though for emergencies only) so long as my resident address is the same. If I actually move to another state, nada. And then they transferred me to the Marketplace and I can't apply for another plan unless I'm actually a resident in the state I'll be moving to. I won't be a resident until I enter the Monastery and they kinda wanted me to have insurance first. 

#firstworldproblems

Nevermind, I called my insurance to be sure, and they said that I'm only covered out-of-state (though for emergencies only) so long as my resident address is the same. If I actually move to another state, nada. And then they transferred me to the Marketplace and I can't apply for another plan unless I'm actually a resident in the state I'll be moving to. I won't be a resident until I enter the Monastery and they kinda wanted me to have insurance first. 

#firstworldproblems

I would see if you can speak to some kind of healthcare social worker in the state you plan on living in.  Given your income level, or lack thereof, I believe you'd be treated much like a student who had decided to establish residency.  Basically, you're grandfathered in.  It varies state to state, however.

I would see if you can speak to some kind of healthcare social worker in the state you plan on living in.  Given your income level, or lack thereof, I believe you'd be treated much like a student who had decided to establish residency.  Basically, you're grandfathered in.  It varies state to state, however.

Thanks!

I think the insurance thing is going well (so far). It makes me laugh - several months ago, I mentioned to the Vocation Directress, "When I go shopping, it takes me 15 minutes just to pick which shampoo to buy - there are 17 different flavors of Suave!"

So they sent me out to buy insurance. :rotfl2:

Once, they did actually send me shopping for shampoo - Suave, the cheapest brand at Wal-Mart. I thought, 'Aaaa! I can't  even pick my own shampoo and now I have to choose it for other people! My life is hilarious.' Then, when I got back to the shampoo isle, Wal-Mart was ENTIRELY cleared out of Suave brand shampoo - except one row, Cherry Blossom. I hope they liked Cherry Blossom 'cause that's what they got. :smile4: