An Old School Catholic Message Board

Online Movie Streaming?

LittleWaySoul

LittleWaySoul

What is the morality factor of watching a movie online that you definitely own but can't get to because it's at home? Like, it was already paid for, so does that mean it's okay to watch for free online?

Thoughts?

Basilisa Marie

Eh, it's morally ambiguous.  It's nearly impossible for someone to catch you streaming a pirated movie online (uploading/downloading are different). You aren't making money off of it. You invite friends over to your house to watch a movie. You're allowed to donate or lend or sell used books without consequence. There might be some moral problem with maybe breaking a law, but it's a dumb law. So. Yeah. 

veritasluxmea

It's a tough call on the legality thing, I can't seem to find a clear answer. I've heard everything from it's illegal if you download it, but not if you watch it. Or it's illegal if you're the one posting it, but ok if you watch it. Or it's not illegal if you give credit. On the other hand, I've heard that it's completely illegal to download and watch it. But what about all those YouTube videos with the background music that is technically pirated? If you look up lyric videos on YouTube is that illegal? And I think it depends on where you live- in North America or Europe the laws are different, or something. Anyways, I've heard of music companies suing nine year olds for downloading music, so it could technically be illegal. 

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2003/09/09/12-year-old-sued-for-music-downloading/

Brianna LaHara said she was frightened to learn she was among the hundreds of people sued yesterday by giant music companies in federal courts around the country.

"I got really scared. My stomach is all turning," Brianna said last night at the city Housing Authority apartment where she lives with her mom and her 9-year-old brother.

"I thought it was OK to download music because my mom paid a service fee for it. Out of all people, why did they pick me?"

The Recording Industry Association of America (search) â€” a music-industry lobbying group behind the lawsuits — couldn't answer that question.

"We are taking each individual on a case-by-case basis," said RIAA spokeswoman Amy Weiss.

Basilisa Marie

Yeah, lots of the laws surrounding copyright that affect the internet are more about making buckets of money and less about protecting someone's intellectual property from theft. 

Plus when people actually study the behavior of people who pirate or consume pirated media, they actually find that most "pirates" actually do pay for lots of their media, because they want to support the artists they enjoy. Most bands don't make their money off of CDs or MP3s, they make it from concerts and merchandise and all of that. It's a giant hassle trying to download, crack, install, and patch a pirated computer game, and it's really easy to mess it up (and mess up your computer) if you don't know what you're doing. The people who do really need all of those individual sales are independent artists, and most people are happy to support them with a financial donation (like what many podcasts do) or actually purchasing their product.

Yeah, lots of the laws surrounding copyright that affect the internet are more about making buckets of money and less about protecting someone's intellectual property from theft. 

Plus when people actually study the behavior of people who pirate or consume pirated media, they actually find that most "pirates" actually do pay for lots of their media, because they want to support the artists they enjoy. Most bands don't make their money off of CDs or MP3s, they make it from concerts and merchandise and all of that. It's a giant hassle trying to download, crack, install, and patch a pirated computer game, and it's really easy to mess it up (and mess up your computer) if you don't know what you're doing. The people who do really need all of those individual sales are independent artists, and most people are happy to support them with a financial donation (like what many podcasts do) or actually purchasing their product.

Just because bands make more music from shows and merchandise doesn't mean that freely taking their pirated music--also known as stealing-- is okay. That's like stealing staplers, boxes of paper, etc. from work “because they won't miss it." Stealing is stealing, no matter who you're stealing from or the amount you're stealing. Also, stealing with the view of repaying them later, through donations, is still stealing...

PhuturePriest

Indeed. For instance, rather than fight free music on the internet like Metallica did, Iron Maiden chose a different tactic by simply viewing where in the world they're getting the most hits on Youtube and touring there. It seems a lot smarter and easier than fighting an internet battle you can't win.

The only time I don't feel morally obligated to pay for music or movies, and download them instead, is when they are out of print or not available to purchase anywhere. For example, the movie Rad. I couldn't pay to watch that movie even if I tried so I have no moral qualms downloading a bootleg version. Same for some old albums. Otherwise, I think you should pay for stuff. Even if you've already bought it once and lost it.

This is going to be less of an issue once we start purchasing everything in digital format though--because then we technically should be able to access that digital file wherever we are.

I am torn on this issue.  On one hand my brother is a musician trying to make money off of sales, on the other hand the barriers to view many forms of media have become so horrendous that going elsewhere is the only option.  Not only that, the commercials now have absolutely NO barriers whatsoever. 

The political ads on hulu of late are revolting (on both sides) and are just crass fear-mongering. Some of these nasty ads show up on family shows (Last Man Standing and The Middle).  The "best" ads are the Old Spice ones and they are bizarre...and sometimes inappropriate.

So to me streaming (never, ever downloading) is my way of fighting against the completely inappropriate content that is now dished along typical TV shows.  I am happy to "pay" for TV by watching ads, but no way am I going to listen to the propaganda of NuvaRing over and over.

i have netflix. they dutifully charge my credit card every month. i am currently located in phnom penh, cambodia. netflix blocks content in camobida. so I use a proxy server to trick them into thinking im watching from the US.  This is not illegal. It is a violation of the terms of service agreement. gimme a minute, I need to get through the last season of Sherlock before I tell you how many cares I give.