An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Have Food Neophobia?

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

http://mealtimehostage.com/2012/11/28/food-neophobia-scale-and-category/

I am a notorious picky eater. I scored a solid 55 on this, and 35 is considered abnormal an/or worrying. I don't have OCD or anything, and I don't have a fear of food or different tastes, I merely hate the taste of most foods. I am willing to try new foods, though, so technically I don't have a phobia, as my sister does. She rarely tries new food out of fear that it will be disgusting.

You're a teenager.  You haven't been exposed to a ton of flavors and quite frankly, you've probably had a dozen or so people cook for you.

I think most people are this way until they get int their mid-20's and start cooking for themselves/for a family.

My husband's cousin will not eat any vegetables, most fruits, chocolate, most spices.  But since being out on his own his diet has expanded....a little...very little...

...and there's people like my Polish uncle who ate only plain foods and plain veggies his whole life and never tasted real spice till he married.  The guy seriously ate potatoes, bread, mild kielbasa, squash and other basically flavorless items his entire life. To this day he's not that daring but tolerates some non-bland food.

veritasluxmea

My life I had a ton of exposure to new foods as a kid. Quinoa, sauerkraut, Kombucha, rabbit meat, veggie dishes, raw milk and cheese, and the like. Then I grew up and lived off of starbucks, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, white rice, and jelly beans. Now I'm starting to change my diet again. I'm good with eating whatever I can get, I'm not picky at all. As long as it's not spicy... I can not, not, not stand spicy foods. How can you eat something that is physically painful to eat???

PhuturePriest

My life I had a ton of exposure to new foods as a kid. Quinoa, sauerkraut, Kombucha, rabbit meat, veggie dishes, raw milk and cheese, and the like. Then I grew up and lived off of starbucks, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, white rice, and jelly beans. Now I'm starting to change my diet again. I'm good with eating whatever I can get, I'm not picky at all. As long as it's not spicy... I can not, not, not stand spicy foods. How can you eat something that is physically painful to eat???

It's not painful, it's just unpleasant. If it's causing you actual physical harm, that's a severe medical condition, not the fault of the food in itself.

I can't handle hot food/drinks. I have a sensitive mouth, and I can't drink coffee or hot food without scalding my mouth and tongue, even when everyone else is eating and drinking it just fine.

veritasluxmea

No, spicy food is physically painful to eat. It burns you and coats your tongue with fire. Like the fire of hell. It's Satan's food. People who can tolerate it are obviously in league with Satan... That's what you get for reading Harry Potter.

PhuturePriest

No, spicy food is physically painful to eat. It burns you and coats your tongue with fire. Like the fire of hell. It's Satan's food. People who can tolerate it are obviously in league with Satan... That's what you get for reading Harry Potter.

Central and South America are basically the centers of modern day Catholicism, and they have a diet which is heavily spicy. :|

I suppose I have a different classification of pain. I deem really spicy foods as uncomfortable. Painful for me implies something like a bruise or a cut.

I suffer from extreme pickiness and have all my life. My mother stopped trying to feed me when I was about 8. I just ate whatever I wanted to, which wasn't hard, because all the food items I ate could be counted on two hands.

That being said, I eat my pad thai triple-Thai-hot, which isn't even on the menu as an option and blows the guys in the kitchen away, considering I look Irish.

Not The Philosopher

I have never been a picky eater. As a kid, my parents loved that they could put just about anything on the plate in front of me and I'd shove it in my face.

veritasluxmea

This thread makes me hungry for some pad thai. Or sushi with sriracha. MMMMMMmmmm. 

Let me guess, you also listen to AC/DC. :P

Central and South America are basically the centers of modern day Catholicism, and they have a diet which is heavily spicy. :|

Well, they also have a history of sacrificing people so. 

PhuturePriest

Let me guess, you also listen to AC/DC. :P

Well, they also have a history of sacrificing people so. 

I don't listen to AC/DC. I used to listen to AC/DC. I simply know pretty much all of their songs on guitar, which is kind of easy to do, seeing as how 95% of them consist of a different variation of 4 power chords.