An Old School Catholic Message Board

Costs Of Discernment

totustuus20

This thread reminds me of Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity who could see the Dijon Carmel from her window and visit there in just a short walk!  Lucky girl. 

I'm starting to feel really bad that I lived a short train ride from the only Orthodox monastery in the UK for so long and hardly ever visited...

brandelynmarie

Since I'm working full-time & am the only person in my household, I am hoping to make initial visits next summer/fall in a two week period. I'm writing communities that are anywhere from three hours away driving to four hours flying. :) Work has restrictions for vacation time of up two weeks at a time per year plus long weekends...unless I try to negotiate for more & that's tough.

I'm also worried about any live-ins because that would require a leave of absence & I would have to have enough money to cover my bills for the weeks/months I'm off...plus, work may not approve it or I may lose my specific shift. I'm not saying it will happen, but these are concerns of mine on top of what everyone else wrote above ^^^^.

Now, that being said, we must not be afraid & we must trust Him Whom we love & our dear Mother to bring us through if indeed it is God's Will. :nunpray:

Edited by brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie

And let me add that just for once I wish the good Lord would let me win the lottery so I can tie all these financial loose ends up & then give it all away so I can enter! rotfl

puellapaschalis

And let me add that just for once I wish the good Lord would let me win the lottery so I can tie all these financial loose ends up & then give it all away so I can enter! rotfl

Amen. Ayyyyyyyyyymen.

I will pray for you, too, that you win the lottery, and pay all your debts, and give the remainder to me. :winner:

I tried totaling up my cost of discernment thus far but with this that and the other and I think it about 1k. I've also used frequent flyer miles a couple of times so that helped. 

At this point I've made 5-6 visits however most were cross country and one was international. I'm blessed now because I have been able to move within driving distance of the community I am discerning with. One of those visits was a young adult retreat so that contributed to my costs.

There's just so many choices, and this makes it difficult. (I've heard it in regard to dating as well, people not wanting to actually 'date' one person because they can't decide on just one.)

This is a good point. I took a seminar class on psychology and happiness, and we looked at how # of choices affects a person's happiness. Oddly enough, although people tend to want more choices up front, those with more options are more likely are, among other things, more likely to be unhappy with their decision, more likely to make their decision on superficial cues (perhaps this is in reference to the dating study you mentioned), and less likely to commit to a decision or take longer to do so.

This is a huge problem in discerning what the direction of my life would be. 20K+ in debt doesn't help either.

There was never the problem of orthodoxy in the past either. Every girl knew that the Masses, confessions, and other sacraments would be valid, almost always licit, and generally well done (Father may not have been the best
homilist but he never spoke about Mother-God.)

Do you mean Eastern Orthodoxy? Edited by Theotokos123

puellapaschalis

Do you mean Eastern Orthodoxy?

I'm not truthfinder, but I don't think she does here. Instead I read her comment as meaning that there just wasn't the widespread non-Catholic stuff preached as there often is now.

Do you mean Eastern Orthodoxy?

I'm not truthfinder, but I don't think she does here. Instead I read her comment as meaning that there just wasn't the widespread non-Catholic stuff preached as there often is now.

Puellapaschalis is correct.  I wrote little 'o' orthodoxy, as in no heterodoxy or heresy, or for your penance think happy thoughts about Sr. Mechtilde of the Holy Whipping.

I live in the upper corner of the states,right next to Canada. The states surrounding me, are all not known for having vast quanities of assorted religious communities to choose from (besides the two communities in Spokane and one in the San Jaun islands and the only Carmelite Monastery in Shoreline) that I know of around here. So traveling out and about in order to go visit is a must!