An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sadness

ithinkjesusiscool

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=36225

The pain caused by the awareness of some personally experienced evil. Unlike sorrow, which implies a sense of loss or of guilt and remorse, sadness includes past, present, and especially future evils. It is nurtured by preoccupation with the dark side of one's own life, as distinct from pity, which is sorrow for another's pain or loss, and from envy, which is sorrow for another's good.

ithinkjesusiscool

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=36225

The pain caused by the awareness of some personally experienced evil. Unlike sorrow, which implies a sense of loss or of guilt and remorse, sadness includes past, present, and especially future evils. It is nurtured by preoccupation with the dark side of one's own life, as distinct from pity, which is sorrow for another's pain or loss, and from envy, which is sorrow for another's good.

I didn't really understand. Could someone please explain.

Ash Wednesday

I think it depends on how someone defines it. I see sadness as something more temporal, a mood or an emotion dealing with a particular state in life. It's something that touches on the differences between happiness and joy, or sadness and despair. To me, joy is something of a deeper disposition, a knowledge and trust in something greater than ourselves (God and a divine plan) and a sense of fulfilment in being part of that plan and being an instrument of God. Happiness to me has more to do with something more temporal, a state in life and a temporary mood that can come and go.

Sometimes because of things going on in my life, I often feel a very deep and abiding sadness that lingers constantly. But it's distinctly different than despair, in that while I acknowledge that while I'm going through trials, they will eventually pass. At the same time I also feel joy and trust that God has beautiful plans for us despite life's trials. 

I hope that makes sense. It's a question I imagine we have asked for thousands of years. I could write more but it's probably best to leave it up to further discussion.

To me sadness especially tonight is when I thought about my one dog who passed away almost a year ago. He died on October 30th l miss him terribly such a good dog. I have owned quite a few but he was the best