An Old School Catholic Message Board

Solemn Profession

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

Your prayers are asked for a former PM'er and VS'er who entered an OSB monastery and who will, Deo volente, make his solemn profession next week!

(Suitably anonymised and ninja'd in order to conform to current VS rules)

Great.  I have no clue who it is, so I will pray for the anonymous Benedictine.  Of some persuasion or not.  I understand the rules... but I don't like 'em very much.   Respectfully.

puellapaschalis

Yea, I know, and yea, I know :)

I'm writing a letter this week and will add in all the props and prayer love.

OBEDIENCE and STABILITY ought to be our 'PhatPhows' as well....  :rolleyes:

Please give the Dom of Mystery our love and tell him we want to know ALLL when, God willing, we all get to Heaven!  

800px-St._Benedict_Parish_%28Terre_Haute

Edited by AnneLine

Sr Mary Catharine OP

According to the current norms for rites of profession, etc. Solemn (and Perpetual) Profession are public events in the life of the Church and it is preferred that the faithful are notified in sufficient advance so that people can attend in greater numbers! If his profession is a public not private ceremony why isn't it OK to say who the monk is and what monastery? I guessed I missed something along the way.
Prayers for him and his perseverance!

puellapaschalis

Because Phatmass, Sr. At least that's my reading of all that sticky up at the top of VS, and life's too short to engage in pointless battles with people on their own turf on the internet. There are enough trolls in meatspace (if you'll pardon the expression).

Because Phatmass, Sr. At least that's my reading of all that sticky up at the top of VS, and life's too short to engage in pointless battles with people on their own turf on the internet. There are enough trolls in meatspace (if you'll pardon the expression).

The rule is that the community must be okay with the information being shared.... And please don't post baptismal names. PM names or religious names without surname are more than fine. :)

puellapaschalis

The rule is that the community must be okay with the information being shared.... And please don't post baptismal names. PM names or religious names without surname are more than fine. :)

Well call me Chris and slap my thigh. Once more it seems I'm stricter with myself than all the rules require.

I'm such a dufus.

From the rule/post/thread in question, for clarity's sake:

Here is the issue:  when someone enters and leaves, this list may be of issue.  Also -- right now how the list stands, who knows who has authorized what should be posted.  Finally, there could be communities out there who would have an issue with their members being listed. 

When posting on Phatmass, please be forewarned -- this info is around forever.  So if you enter and then leave for whatever reason, it is recorded "for eternity" (in saecula saeculorum) on the internet.

This does not mean that a person who is entering is prohibited from posting that "I'm entering xyz community on Month day, year" or a discerner can't post "I am discerning abc community."

It does mean that great care has to be taken when a second person posts updates on a person's vocation.  Please, please make sure that the person (and the community) is ok with this information being made public.

Remember, when such information is posted (either by the person themselves or by a second person with permission), it is forever (even if a Mediator of Meh modifies a post -- it has already hit the web).

Hopefully everyone on the Phorum will understand why this is being done ... we do want to celebrate with someone when they enter, when they become a novice, when they make first vows, and when they (God willing) become perpetually professed.  We also want to be sensitive to those who, for whatever reason, may not want this information out there.

We're not crazy! We just want common sense to be followed in terms of privacy. I know I don't like it when people use my name on the internets (there are still really embarrassing blog posts people wrote about me back in the day that come up when you search my name. It's not funny anymore).