An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another New Postulant!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Congratulations!  So you let another Canadian in, eh... :cold:

It's a race who is taking over...the Canadians or the Pennsylvanians! :saint2:

Lily May Gath

Sr. MC,

I wanted to reply to the blog, to ask you to please post the text of the simple ceremony for the entrance of a Postulant,

Please would you share?

Many thanks,

Lily

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr. MC,

I wanted to reply to the blog, to ask you to please post the text of the simple ceremony for the entrance of a Postulant,

Please would you share?

Many thanks,

Lily

It's very simple. When the postulant is greeted at the door by the prioress the community processes into Choir singing Ps 122. Then the novice mistress does a text from Ephesians and there is a prayer and we sing the Salve! That's it! We all go to the community room to give the new postulant a lot of hugs!

brandelynmarie

It's very simple. When the postulant is greeted at the door by the prioress the community processes into Choir singing Ps 122. Then the novice mistress does a text from Ephesians and there is a prayer and we sing the Salve! That's it! We all go to the community room to give the new postulant a lot of hugs!

What an awesome tradition :love:

Do you know know if the pictures are going to work again? I keep getting an error that says all of the images have failed to load. The next line is This is most likely a TimThumb permissions error.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I'm not sure what the problem is as I went to the blog and was able to see all the pictures. Perhaps clearing your cache and trying again? Are you using Chrome? I know that sometimes with Chrome there are problems with viewing blog posts. It has to do with Wordpress and Chrome not having the most congenial relationship!

So I always used to feel kind of odd when someone enters and then everyone is asked to "pray for her perseverance."

I mean, if "perseverance" means "staying in this congregation" well not everyone who enters as a postulant is called to stay there for life.  That's why we HAVE postulancy and novitiate.  Discerning that you're called elsewhere is not a terrible thing.  That'll happen sometimes.  Otherwise people would make vows on day 1.

And then I reframed things to understand "perseverance" as "perseverance in following God's will for your life, whatever that is."  And maybe that means we'll party at your Diamond Jubilee and maybe that means summoning up the courage to leave when it's becoming clear this isn't your calling, when stepping out into the unknown is really hard and scary. 

Ah.  THAT I can pray for wholeheartedly!