An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Saints And Not So Much

Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

Simcha Fisher had an article a few days ago about how sometimes, saints can be jerks.  I thought it'd be fun to find out if people have a favorite and "least favorite" saint. :) 

PhuturePriest

This seems divisive and like it will lead to in-fighting on Phatmass. All of the Saints are in heaven, and that's that. I don't want to read people making posts once again about how much of a jerk they think Saint Padre Pio was, because he is my Confirmation Saint, and though last time I kept my head cool, this time I will get violent.

Basilisa Marie

This seems divisive and like it will lead to in-fighting on Phatmass. All of the Saints are in heaven, and that's that. I don't want to read people making posts once again about how much of a jerk they think Saint Padre Pio was, because he is my Confirmation Saint, and though last time I kept my head cool, this time I will get violent.

The whole point is acknowledging that 1) saints weren't perfect people on Earth (besides Mary, obvs) and 2) there's a lot of diversity in the Church - what one person thinks is wack might speak to another person. 

You don't have to participate. :P 

PhuturePriest

The whole point is acknowledging that 1) saints weren't perfect people on Earth (besides Mary, obvs) and 2) there's a lot of diversity in the Church - what one person thinks is wack might speak to another person. 

You don't have to participate. :P

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that Saints weren't perfect. But last time it dissolved into downright Saint bashing, and some people questioned if Saint Padre Pio should have been canonized in the first place, which is rather unbecoming of us. I just don't want another thread to devolve into that. I have no problem with a person saying "I didn't like this person's style", and if it only goes that far, I'm fine with it. I just don't want it to go as far as last time.

puellapaschalis

Everything I'd heard about St. Jerome suggested to me that he's a crochety old geezer. Then I realised that I'm pretty crochety myself, so now he doesn't bother me much anymore ;)

favorites: chiara bandano. she knew how to have fun. charles de foucald. so loving and simple. karol wojtyla. duh.

least favorites: padre pio. he was amazing, but he could be really uncharitable and his definitions of modesty throw me through the roof. let me think of a few more. GIVE ME IDEEEEASSS.

Everything I'd heard about St. Jerome suggested to me that he's a crochety old geezer. Then I realised that I'm pretty crochety myself, so now he doesn't bother me much anymore ;)

THANK YOU. i am so glad i'm not the only one who feels this way.

Saints I'm friends with (off the top of my head): 

St. Agnes, St. Ambrose, St. Augustine, Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity, St. Emiliana, St. Benedict, St. Scholastica, St. Maria Goretti, Bl. Albertina, St. Joan of Arc.

And Dom Gueranger who is not canonised and that is a travesty. 

Saints I'm not really friends with:

Padre Pio. He was cool and all (bilocation sounds like a super useful skill) but like the171, the modesty stuff gets to me.

St. Therese. DON'T JUDGE ME OKAY. I just don't get it. Zero appeal. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that Saints weren't perfect. But last time it dissolved into downright Saint bashing, and some people questioned if Saint Padre Pio should have been canonized in the first place, which is rather unbecoming of us. I just don't want another thread to devolve into that. I have no problem with a person saying "I didn't like this person's style", and if it only goes that far, I'm fine with it. I just don't want it to go as far as last time.

There is no rule requiring you to read every thread. If this subject is not one of your favorites, simply ignore the whole thread, and trust that if it does get out of hand, the mods are fully competent to handle it.

Basilisa Marie

John Vianney's a strange one for me. On one hand I really love his "pastoral method" (Msgr John Cihak talks about it here), but he's also really out in right field on certain things (like dancing). Understanding his cultural context is a big help, because people weren't going to Sunday mass and spending all their money at the taverns and whatnot.  

I think it's interesting how certain saints are portrayed a certain way, and how more often than not it's the way people present a saint that turns people off. Like how St. Therese's diary was heavily edited before it was published, and so she can come off as this frail little-miss-perfect, when that's not the whole story. 

PhuturePriest

There is no rule requiring you to read every thread. If this subject is not one of your favorites, simply ignore the whole thread, and trust that if it does get out of hand, the Mediators of Meh are fully competent to handle it.

It's not the subject that bothers me, it's where it leads to. It's kind of like when everyone freaks out here if someone makes a thread on modesty. It's not the topic, it's where it always inevitably leads to. I'm just as allowed to voice my opinion that this isn't a good idea as Lil Red is to voice her opinion on how terrible an idea it is to even say "modesty" on Phatmass.

Favorites: Bd. Zelie Martin, St. Therese, St. Rose of Viterbo, St. Clare, St. John Bosco, St. Gemma, St. Faustina, St. Padre Pio, St. Joseph, St. Thomas More, St. Raphael, Bd. Pier Giorgio Frassati, St. Maria Goretti, St. Kateri, St. Josemaría Escrivá, St. Philip Neri, St. John Paul II, Ven. Margaret Sinclair, pretty much all of the "modern Saints" and about a zillion that I am forgetting to list.

Least favorites: I wouldn't necessarily say I have a least favorite; I have some things that I don't particularly like *about* some Saints, perhaps? I love St. John Vianney but I do not like that he was against dancing. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Padre Pio, but the modesty standards are a bit much for me. There are some Saints I just don't feel a particular closeness to, but I can't think of any right now. Maybe someone like St. Anthony of Egypt. He's a great Saint, but I don't feel a particular closeness to him.

Ash Wednesday

Let's just put it this way: people are free to discuss this with honesty as long as it's even tempered and respectful. But tread lightly on all sides and remember to be respectful not just of the saints but of each other. A little careful wording goes a long way.

I, for one, am not crazy about the usage of the word "jerk" to describe a saint the way Simcha's article does, on the other hand I'm willing to understand what it is she's trying to say. Maybe if you feel some dismay that someone does not care as much for a saint as you do, rather than get overly confrontational and violent in your wordage -- ask the saint to pray for us. They all gladly do so.