An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocations

Chastisement

I've been thinking about consecrated life.. you have no idea how many priests have just come up to me out of the blue and said, "You'd make a very good nun!" without even knowing that I'm discerning! :P

I feel that I would be called to a more contemplative, traditional order.. though I have not had much experience with those types of sisters. The only orders we have around here are the more 'non-traditional' liberal orders who don't wear habits or anything :( It's just something I'll have to do a little more homework on! (prayer, too, of course!)

All for the Immaculata,

Katrina

USE THE INTERNET! You can find out so much about so many orders.....Have you considered the Fransiscan sisters of the renewal? or the sisters of life? they wear habits and try to follow the simple life of a nun the way it used to be, but anyway, I've heard that a lot mre youth are being called to more traditional orders than the liberal ones......just a thought....

Fransican Sisters of the Renewal

Nashville Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia

Sisters of Life

I found out about all of these on EWTN.....Life on the Rock Audio Files! They have such great fresh, vibrant interviews with young nuns, they just make me so glad that today there are young people considering religious life, and so enthusiastic about it!! Listen to them on www.ewtn.com!!

Problem is, I really want kids, and I have been given "visions" I guess you could call them of my future children....

I had the same vision. Before I got married I gave priesthood a lot of thought but found it was not my calling. I like being around children and wanted some of my own but felt really strong about dedicating my like to Jesus and help sheppard His people. I felt like I was stuck between a rock and a hard place but I put my life in Gods hands and let Him guide me and hopefully He'll let me see the forest through the trees. At one point I was looking at enrolling at Saint John's Seminary College in Camarillo, California but just before I did I met the woman of my dreams and all is history for there on.

While we are on the subject, please pray for my cousin Austin Macedo who has just become a deacon and God willing will be a priest in less than a year. Please pray that the Holy Spirit give him strength, knowledge, and inspiration to serve Jesus and the people around him.

The fact that you are not yet Catholic doesn't really matter to Him.

hahahah I couldn't help but laff at that...

very persistent i see.

Lol

:P

Being a nun is something that's been in the back of my mind for most of my life. I'm a senior in college this year though, so it's come more to the forefront lately. I also feel a strong calling to have children, and to devote my life to God. Also, two of my good friends here at school are now officially discerning and meet with a spiritual director and stuff, so it's got me thinking about whether or not I should do that. I still haven't gotten up the courage to take that step.

It's all very worrying sometimes to think about what the future has in store, but at the same time I always remind myself that God has a plan for my life, and He will guide me to it. I just take one day at a time and see where life takes me. :D What will I be doing in a year? I have no clue, but I can't wait to find out what God has planned!!

:rolleyes: I hope you do! It's one of the most beautiful vocations I can think of!

Thanks Vera.

Ya know, I discussed with my fmaily and friends a few times. Each time I do they all jump up and start cheering me on and I feel so pressurised.

I know my best bud would LOVE for me to become a priest cause he could always go to me for confession. I told him that if I did become a priest and was confessing him I'd make him walk around the church doing the stations of the cross as penance!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sad part is that my mom wants me to join the priesthood because of my homosexuality and I keep trying to tel her that thats a very bad reason for me to join.

I pray that I will be able to discern my calling..

And you guys BETTER PRAY FOR ME!!!!

Chastisement

Many people have had the call before the conversion.

My Parish Priest is testament to that, he used to be, by his own omission, "a die hard, silly Baptist", but he'd had the calling since an early age, but he knew it wasn't to be a Pastor, but a Priest.

Thomas Michael

I had thought about becoming a priest when I was like, 6 or 7, but as soon as I heard that priests couldn't marry, that pretty much quashed that idea. I'm probably more suited to being lector or music director, anyway. Maybe the deacon life is in my long-term future. Who knows... as long as I can include a wife and kids in the equation, I'm up for almost anything.

Edited by Thomas Michael

I know quite a few Catholics in real life, and interestingly enough, several of my cousins and my own brother have all thought about becoming Priests, but not many females thougth about being a Nun.

However, I've thought about being a Nun, I'm still thinking about it, actually. Before I started classes that would lead me to my first communion, this was back when I was six, we had to get up in front of our church and tell them about us. I said, that "when I grow up I'm going to be a Nun". Of course everyone laughed. But I have really given it serious thought.

Problem is, I really want kids, and I have been given "visions" I guess you could call them of my future children, so asking the Lord if that's what my life will bring, I couldn't be sure, so I asked for scriptural confirmation, and I got that passage about God promising Abraham descendants as numerous as the stars.

Anyway, I did say to God that if I'm still single by the time I'm 30 I'll give him my life.

So, has anyone else thought of joining the vocation?

Before I got married I gave priesthood a lot of thought but found it was not my calling. I like being around children and wanted some for my own but felt really strong about dedicating my like to Jesus and help sheppard His people. I felt like I was stuck between a rock and a hard place but I put my life in the hands of God and let Him guide me. At one point I was looking at enrolling at Saint John's Seminary College in Camarillo, California but just before I did I met the woman of my dreams. God does work in mysterious ways.

While we are on the subject, please pray for my cousin Austin Macedo who has just become a deacon. Pray that the Holy Spirit give him strength, knowledge, and inspiration to serve Jesus and all the people around him.

God bless,

yesygerm

Jake Huether

Like Priests, nuns won't marry and will not have children, they have to remain chaste.

Carson touched on it, but I wanted to make it absolutely clear...

We are all called to be chaste. Priests and nuns are called to be celibate (sp) in addition.

Married people can make love and still be chaste.

Hhahahah - I'm chaste a lot... by my wife. Hahahaha!