An Old School Catholic Message Board

Patron Saints 2015

Lil Red

Every year I offer to pick a saint through the guidance of the Holy Spirit for phatmassers, family, friends, and loved ones. I do this every year before the new Church year starts (this year it starts November 30). 

Patron Saints 2010

I feel prepared (as I can be) for doing this. This year, I ask that you not message me with your intentions unless you feel you need to. It is mentally and spiritually exhausting, and right now I couldn't handle that. Just post here that you'd like a saint, or message me. You can request one saint for a couple or a family, or if you'd like you can request one saint for each person. I'd love if you shared stories of your saint from last year, or years before. The only thing I ask is that you would please pray for me & my intentions. 

Copied from previous years:

This is a beautiful Catholic devotion. Basically the idea is that I put together saints names in a basket, and draw one for anyone who wants one, after praying over the basket with your name and intentions in mind. Please, pass this onto anyone who you think would like a saint picked for them. Here's a little more on this devotion:

Religious orders, both male and female, particularly in the 1800's and early 1900's got into the habit of drawing a saint's name at the close of each year, and that saint would be their "patron" for the coming year. St. Faustina writes about this in her diary, but it was not an unusual practice at all. The saying is, "you don't choose the saint, the saint chooses you - that in the realm of the Eternal, they know better than you what your needs for the coming year will be, and so they "choose" to be with you, through it. But the point is to not simply pull the saint but then develop a bit of a relationship with him/her -ie, learn about them, include them in your prayers, ask them to pray for you, and (when praying) to join you in prayer -that sort of thing.

“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament, where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.” (Excerpt from Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina)

Edited by Lil Red

Oremus Pro Invicem

I would love one. I deal with a lot of fears, so my intention is to face those fears and trust in God's goodness. .

I would love one. I deal with a lot of fears, so my intention is to face those fears and trust in God's goodness. .

Welcome, OPI!

Please choose a Saint for me as well, Lil'Red.  I'll post the 'Virtues and Continents' over the weekend, but I didn't -- and don't -- want to steal your thunder!  St. Pius X and I have had a Good year together, so thank you!