An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Respond To An Atheist With This Objection?

I want to be real clear that I'm not questioning God or his goodness. I'm 14 months sober and I have no one to thank but God. He has blessed me more then I could ever tell you in this thread. I have had real life experiences with Him that let me know He really exist. I am thankful for these experiences because it's made having faith in Him much easier. As a Catholic Christian I think I should be able to answer objections like these when presented by a non believer or someone who is honestly curious. I already have an answer deep down in my heart but I feel like most of my brothers and sisters in Christ would tell me it's wrong. So I'm asking you guys for some help. Thanks. God is good. God bless.

Edited by Guest

Respond like Pope Benedict XVI in his document Verbum Domini. This may have been brought up but it needs to be shown again.

Quote:

42. In discussing the relationship between the Old and the New Testaments, the Synod also considered those passages in the Bible which, due to the violence and immorality they occasionally contain, prove obscure and difficult. Here it must be remembered first and foremost that biblical revelation is deeply rooted in history. God’s plan is manifested progressively and it is accomplished slowly, in successive stages and despite human resistance. God chose a people and patiently worked to guide and educate them. Revelation is suited to the cultural and moral level of distant times and thus describes facts and customs, such as cheating and trickery, and acts of violence and massacre, without explicitly denouncing the immorality of such things. This can be explained by the historical context, yet it can cause the modern reader to be taken aback, especially if he or she fails to take account of the many “dark” deeds carried out down the centuries, and also in our own day. In the Old Testament, the preaching of the prophets vigorously challenged every kind of injustice and violence, whether collective or individual, and thus became God’s way of training his people in preparation for the Gospel. So it would be a mistake to neglect those passages of Scripture that strike us as problematic. Rather, we should be aware that the correct interpretation of these passages requires a degree of expertise, acquired through a training that interprets the texts in their historical-literary context and within the Christian perspective which has as its ultimate hermeneutical key “the Gospel and the new commandment of Jesus Christ brought about in the paschal mystery”.[140] I encourage scholars and pastors to help all the faithful to approach these passages through an interpretation which enables their meaning to emerge in the light of the mystery of Christ.

I think the best way to respond to this is to acknowledge that these passages are very problematic. Don't try to say oh God didn't inspire dark passages, God is ok with violence in the Old Testament, along with other justifications. Be honest say this doesn't make sense.

If you are able to recognize that there are dark passages that are hard to explain I think you can gain some respect with atheists. Of Course be able to explain how you still believe God is behind the writing of the scriptures and it is still God's word.

The Church remains very silent how to interpret dark passages, she leaves it to exegetes to explain them, and scholars and pastors to interpret these in the light of Christ.

I may respond to some of the passages, but above is how the Church calls us to approach these passages.

Edited by Guest

Another good post from Catholic Answers:

Many non-Christians object to Christianity based on misinterpretations of the Old Testament. They don't object to the historical elements of the literature portraying wars and killing, they object to motivations imputed to God that justify the killing of one people by another. Especially those who are possibly defenseless or innocent.

Practically everyone knows who Jesus is and what he stands for, even on a superficial level, and can recognize the glaring inconsistency between Jesus, who our faith and defines Christianity, and the god of the old testament.

It is hugely important that Catholics properly explain this seeming inconsistency with the mind of the Church. We must know what inspiration is, what inerrancy is, what allegory is, what metaphor is. We must especially know what it means to be an author of Scripture and how the author is inspired.

The passage that PRmerger posted above from Benedict is essential reading for anyone who wants to explain the Catholic understanding of Scripture.

Edited by Guest

It's sad but I honestly think the Old Testament genuinely stops a lot of atheist from coming to Christ. They read a lot of it and really examine it and they don't want nothing to do with a God like that. It's sad because they don't see the whole picture and a lot of protestant fundamentalist make it a millions times worse because they are clueless in what they preach. The word allegorical is not in their vocabulary.

Edited by Guest

Don't bother responding. People who have already made up their minds have already made up their minds. That door is closed. You can knock, but you can't get in. You'll only give yourself a bloody fist. 

If a person asked me face-to-face, in a tone of voice that showed me they wanted to understand my perspective, I'd be happy to tell them whatever. 

Otherwise, save yourself the frustration. 

Although you might tell them that, in Judaism, being a slave isn't such a bad gig. If a slave and his master are traveling and there's only one bed to sleep in, the master is obligated to give it to his slave. If there's little water left, it goes to the slave. Not enough food? Slave gets it.

Shellfish, on the other hand, can send you into anaphylactic shock.

Really Batman? You dont see a difference from Jesus and the way God is portrayed in the O.T. ? Anyhow really don't want to go down this road. I found my answer. It would actually be cool if a mod closed this thread.

Edited by Guest

In the meantime God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Edited by Guest

I don't see a difference between the OT God and the NT God.

I don't think that's helpful. There are some apparent discrepancies worth addressing imho

I don't think that's helpful. There are some apparent discrepancies worth addressing imho

I don't think that's helpful.

Looks like we're both not very helpful.

I personally do not see any discrepancies. Especially when in Acts Simon Magnus is stuck dead by God in true OT fashion! Edited by Batman