An Old School Catholic Message Board

This Is Love

Gabriela

Dog Hitches On to Ambulance Driving His Owner to Hospital

AP_ambulance_ride_dog_sk_141117_16x9_992

A 4-year-old part-Beagle named Buddy who hung on for miles to the outside of an ambulance that had his owner inside is quickly becoming a viral star.

“His stardom has taken off tremendously, to say the least,” Brian Wright told ABC News.

It was Wright who first shared the story of Buddy’s heroic efforts to local media around the Mason, Texas, ranch where Buddy lives with his owner, J.R. Nicholson.

1-jpg_195623.jpg

Nicholson, 85, was taken by ambulance late last month to Hill Country Memorial Hospital after complaining of dizziness.

Wright stayed behind to close up the ranch and noticed that Buddy was missing but, he says, had no reason to be concerned.

“Buddy is part Beagle and I never get too concerned when he’s missing because he always comes back,” Wright said.

When Wright arrived at the hospital a short time later, medical staff told him that Nicholson was stable and that Buddy was there at the hospital too.

“They told me they rode anywhere from 15 to 21 miles until a motorist flagged them down and told them there was a dog on the side of the ambulance,” Wright said.

The first responders pulled Buddy into the ambulance, where he rode the rest of the nearly one-hour drive to the hospital.

The road that Buddy traversed while hanging onto the ambulance included twists and hills, a bridge and a highway.

3-jpg_195616.jpg

“Buddy was not injured,” Wright said. “That’s the only reason it’s such a good story.”

Buddy, whom Nicholson's daughter got him from a shelter four months ago, is used to riding along on utility vehicles around the ranch, according to Wright.

Those involved believe it was likely that familiarity with being on the road plus the sight of his beloved owner leaving that prompted Buddy to jump on the ambulance.

“I don’t think he wanted to leave his buddy, his best friend,” Wright said.

The story had an even happier ending because Nicholson was also able to leave the hospital that same day, with no complications.

Both owner and dog are now back at home and adjusting to life in the spotlight. The pair, along with Wright, was on their way back from a photo shoot when reached today by ABC News.

Wright says they hope their happy story inspires other people to do two things.

“Going to an animal shelter and helping a dog or thanking first responders because we think those are the most important things right now,” he said.

Edited by Gabriela

PhuturePriest

Animals are incapable of love as they are not rational creatures with human souls. They are merely instinctual, and do not have free will, thus meaning they cannot love.

#ReasonsWhyTheologiansAreOftenDisliked

PhuturePriest

I think my basset hound is more capable of love than many humans I know.

I think your basset hound is a very fine and loyal animal. This does not mean he is capable of loving in the sense that humans are.

SaintOfVirtue

Animals are incapable of love as they are not rational creatures with human souls. They are merely instinctual, and do not have free will, thus meaning they cannot love.

#ReasonsWhyTheologiansAreOftenDisliked

However, Aristotle would argue that they do have spirits (not to be confused with a soul), and as for the "love" that depends on how you define "love".

However, Aristotle would argue that they do have spirits (not to be confused with a soul), and as for the "love" that depends on how you define "love".

From what I am aware of Aquinas says animals do have souls (sensate souls) but not souls like ours (rational souls). Same with plants, they have vegetative souls but not sensate souls or rational souls.

PhuturePriest

From what I am aware of Aquinas says animals do have souls (sensate souls) but not souls like ours (rational souls). Same with plants, they have vegetative souls but not sensate souls or rational souls.

Precisely. According to Aquinas, everything has a soul. But only humans have been given rational souls which are capable of reason.

Edited by PhuturePriest

So amazing! Sometimes I wonder if God made animals simply to teach us.

"But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee: and the birds of the air, and they shall tell thee. Speak to the earth, and it shall answer thee: and the fishes of the sea shall tell"--Job 12:7-8

I think your basset hound is a very fine and loyal animal. This does not mean he is capable of loving in the sense that humans are.

Nor is he as capable of hating like most humans.