An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Weird Vocation Journey

superblue

superblue it is good that your hope outweighs your worries. Bringing a small notebook is an excellent idea. I would also suggest writing down the answers that you get after your conversations. I did this after each phone call with the VD and it was so helpful because over time I would forget the specific answers. 

As far as the questions try to be as honest and true as possible. In my experience the questions asked are more broad (what is your family, what has your faith life been like, what are you doing right now etc). General questions for them to get a sense of who you are. The communities always waited for me to express further interest before they started asking the more in depth questions.

My last visit was harder as far as the questions but that was mostly due to the amount of time we spent talking. This was also my 4th visit with the community.

Thanks for the replies,  I think T.T my real question at the end, well to them will be how many visits do I make before they are ready to allow me to fill out the forms and make the first step towards Postulancy , I might find they want to test me out more and have me make 4 or 5 visits before getting to that stage so I have to be ready for that too, i have always been one for wanting answers right away, so that is one thing i am constantly doing is practicing patience.

An yes copying down the answers to the questions is just as important and i will be doing that too so i can reflect on things when i get back.

It sounds like you are really serious about this community. So I would put all your energy and funds into visiting them. My best guess on visits would be at least 1-2 more, depending on the length of your visits. My suggestion would be to try to make a couple longer visits rather than a bunch of short visits. Personally I found it takes me a day or two to decompress and find my interior silence that I need to discern. Obviously that it really hard to do when I am only there for a weekend.

One thing I have found helpful is to stay in stay in contact with the community both before and after you visit. If you are able to get the basic info established via phone or email then you visit will be more productive. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have just returned from my visit with the Benedictine order I am interested in ,and it was a beautiful experience, the biggest thing that hit me was ; I feel like I found a home.   An that struck a big cord with me as on past discernment engagements I was told that is something to be aware of and look for , I noticed i didn't miss much of anything while I was gone either which is awesome.  The weather was bleh nasty but the connections I made with the brothers, the abbot,  I knew that St. Benedict has heard my prayers along with The Blessed Mother and Christ,  everyone working together through Christ to reach me in this powerful small visit.  It was a solid two day visit being Wed and Thurs, half days were arriving Tuesday and leaving Friday.

more over they want me back, and the Abbot has expressed interest in me as well.

All good stuff but the problem was coming back home, it is all bitter sweet, letting go of what I have, which is absolutely nothing, what I have are crutches, to gain so so much, and I think well, I can gamble that perhaps I can find a way to work for myself, and find a wonderful woman, which I sorta have found a woman who is a beautiful person in so many ways, but it would take such strides on my part to solidify that relationship , it is just sad, I wish I could have met her a long time ago when I was working,, she has been a great friend,, but in the end it isn't really what I " want " it is what I need, and what God wants, and can I accept the call to step out of the boat and go to Christ.

I am smart enough to not balk at this , I am going to take some time to cool down and absorb what has taken place, and my next visit will be for two weeks, if all is good after that , I should be entering postulancy sometime soon this year.

Edited by superblue

ty rose,

well, things are moving once again, I contacted my V.D and scheduled my next visit for the beginning of Feb, for roughly a full 9 days, this time around I will get to participate in a full schedule of chores and prayer, and I am excited as I am getting zero accomplished here at home,  and then I am like can I really handle this schedule and I have to laugh and remember the grueling schedule, and heart ache of my time in the military,  the only real thing I will have to fight this time around is that groggy feeling after getting up, which compline around 7pm doesn't sound so crazy after a full schedule.

I am really hopeful that this is going to work out, with caution, as nothing is done until it is done, but my over all small goals are first postulancy, and so on to becoming a Benedictine Monk, and after that then I will know if I am ready to undertake the journey to priesthood, but I would like to continue my journey in that manner if possible. 

peace.

MarysLittleFlower

That's good that your discernment is moving along :) the only thing I'd say though is that many spiritual directors advise not to date while discerning religious life because this can be confusing and makes discernment harder. Its best to concentrate on prayer and distance oneself from earthly things :)

That's good that your discernment is moving along :) the only thing I'd say though is that many spiritual directors advise not to date while discerning religious life because this can be confusing and makes discernment harder. Its best to concentrate on prayer and distance oneself from earthly things :)

oh ya my female friend, I cant really consider me and her dating, in fact we are not; so all good there, we are in a balanced friendship I would actually think we have a very healthy and normal friendship after getting to know her. so no worries there.

cant really distance oneself too much from these earthly things what ever they are , are apart of life and we either learn to use them as tools or be used by them.  I deff wont miss the internet, this is like my biggest crutch in life that I am looking forward to letting go of.  I appreciate the sentiment though.

Ah yes getting rid of the internet and cell phones.... I always love turning off my cell phone when on retreat.

yup , people have forgotten the days before the internet and cell phones;  I don't mind them as tools to get tasks done or for research, but I see how in my life they have become nothing but  time wasters , distractions that I don't need anymore.

I am looking forward to getting into the postulancy with this order so I can get to some real work, and further my formation on this journey.

nothing left for me here in town and it is driving me nanners.

Spem in alium

Ah yes getting rid of the internet and cell phones.... I always love turning off my cell phone when on retreat.

It really does bring such peace. 

yup , people have forgotten the days before the internet and cell phones;  I don't mind them as tools to get tasks done or for research, but I see how in my life they have become nothing but  time wasters , distractions that I don't need anymore.

I am looking forward to getting into the postulancy with this order so I can get to some real work, and further my formation on this journey.

nothing left for me here in town and it is driving me nanners.

I will be praying for you as you move forward. May you journey in peace, with the Lord as your companion and guide.

Edited by Spem in alium