An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Weird Vocation Journey

superblue

Ty Theresa,

I still have a lot of paper work to do in a short amount of time, so I am hustling and hope things will go well, they want to see my paper work before giving me a entrance date so that kind of makes me wonder what gives, but I am trying to remain calm and not let fear set in.

It is weird seeing the difference between there an home, when I am at home I fall into the same poor habits, but when I am there I am active , and feel good, I enjoy praying with the brothers , I think my poor mother is stressing more about my entrance than I am to tell ya the truth, mainly because I have told so many people already that the abbot accepted me for the postulancy to then hear that they want to review my paper work first, but I think my faith in Christ is in the right place and that at the very least I will be in the postulancy this year. IF for some reason I miss their cut off date, I will have to wait till next year. I wouldn't enjoy that wait but I could handle it.

anyhow I hope to keep everyone posted, and who knows what might happen, might even see a religious tag under my name some day.

AccountDeleted

Ty Theresa,

I still have a lot of paper work to do in a short amount of time, so I am hustling and hope things will go well, they want to see my paper work before giving me a entrance date so that kind of makes me wonder what gives, but I am trying to remain calm and not let fear set in.

It is weird seeing the difference between there an home, when I am at home I fall into the same poor habits, but when I am there I am active , and feel good, I enjoy praying with the brothers , I think my poor mother is stressing more about my entrance than I am to tell ya the truth, mainly because I have told so many people already that the abbot accepted me for the postulancy to then hear that they want to review my paper work first, but I think my faith in Christ is in the right place and that at the very least I will be in the postulancy this year. IF for some reason I miss their cut off date, I will have to wait till next year. I wouldn't enjoy that wait but I could handle it.

anyhow I hope to keep everyone posted, and who knows what might happen, might even see a religious tag under my name some day.

We look forward to seeing the religious tag under your name too! :) 

TheresaThoma

Probably with the wait with the paperwork is making sure you can get it all in before your entrance date. 

From my experience in a communal setting inviting a new member to come and setting a date but then having to push off that date is hard on the community. Better to make sure everything is in order and then set a date.

TheresaThoma

It may also be like when one gets a job offer but pending reference and background checks.

Try not to stress too much and enjoy this wonderful season of Triduum and into Easter.

• 2 weeks later...

UGH okay so I got a chunk of paper work done, and I finally got the results back from my psych exam so I can send that off tomorrow,  I know most candidates do not get to view their results, but since this was on my dime I did, an it wasn't anything I don't already know... I just didn't like having to rehash the memories and really hope that this will not be a monkey wrench in the machine.

So personally I think my chances of getting in this month ( April ) are not going to happen which is fine cause I have personal things to take care of, I just have to mail this off tomorrow, let my V.D mull it over an talk with the community/ abbot, and hopefully be given an entrance date for next month ( possibly this month but again I doubt it ) or next January ( which is fine too cause I mean what is the rush, they ain't going anywhere, and neither am I. )

I will be so surprised if I actually get to literally pack my bags and enter as a postulant, an if I do I have no doubt that I will actually be on the right path in life for once and be headed for solemn vows.

GREAT NEWS! I have 2 questions:

Willl you still be posting on here as a monk ?

Do you like to pray the divine office ? I think its the best prayer in the world.

GREAT NEWS! I have 2 questions:

Willl you still be posting on here as a monk ?

Do you like to pray the divine office ? I think its the best prayer in the world.

​The Abbey does have internet access so I guess I would be able to ,others in the community use email / there is just less " free time " to actually be on the internet once in a community and I didn't miss the internet at all during my visits.  The L.O.H / Divine Office is different from the version that the diocesan priesthood prays but I do enjoy praying it mainly because I am praying with the brothers in church for vigils,lauds,etc.. an there is the organ that is played so that enhances the moment and sometimes lay people in the community will stop by to participate or listen which is great too.

For me I am still learning and picking up on the meaning of the psalms we pray an so I find myself pondering some of the prayers if not all of it while I am praying them. I really enjoy my personal time to pray on the monastery grounds, I found myself able to pray the rosary daily mainly because of the silence in the area and the privacy ( I get easily distracted so I appreciate having places from the chapels in the church to anywhere on the grounds to move around ) . I am looking forward to the postulancy because if I actually get in I will have more freedom to find spots in cloistered areas that was off limits to me before as a visitor so I wont have to always return to my room for lecto divina ( which is another form of prayer I need to practice because I find myself wanting to read an entire chapter instead of just focusing on one paragraph or text )

Peace

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Divine Office and actually have the Benedictine Breviary for the LOTH.It is the original one St.Benedict aranged for the Psalms the 1962 Brevarium.Are you a marian guy or do you not really have a devotion to Mary.

well you are one step ahead of me if you have a Benedictine Breviary, an I actually completed the 33 Days to Morning Glory, so yes I guess I do have a devotion to Mary,  I find myself praying small prayers throughout the week to the Blessed Mother , Christ, my patron saint, guardian angle, St.Michael, pretty much anyone in heaven who will give me the time of day. I need all the help I can get in life.

TheresaThoma

Superblue a thought on the lexio. Maybe try just focusing on the readings for the day. Get a missal so you only have the readings there and not the whole chapter. I have found that helpful for my own lexio, I also found it helped me to stay focused in Mass because I had already spent time with the readings beforehand.

well, the Abbey now has all the required paper work as of today, and my V.D stated in an email that he will review with the Abbot, and I will be notified when they come up with something.  I really wanted to include a statement with my psych exam an be like hey this was from two years ago, I have changed a entire bunch and for the better.

so it is a relief that , this part is over, if they give me the go ahead then I just whip up a auto bio an bobs my uncle .

I really do hope I hear back by some time Monday cause any later an I am going to start getting ants in my pantaloons.

well, the Abbey now has all the required paper work as of today, and my V.D stated in an email that he will review with the Abbot, and I will be notified when they come up with something.  I really wanted to include a statement with my psych exam an be like hey this was from two years ago, I have changed a entire bunch and for the better.

so it is a relief that , this part is over, if they give me the go ahead then I just whip up a auto bio an bobs my uncle .

I really do hope I hear back by some time Monday cause any later an I am going to start getting ants in my pantaloons.

​I hope you get an opportunity to talk about that, whether just informally or if you get to review your app together, before any decisions are set in stone. They seem pretty open-handed from what you've said so far. Fingers crossed for you ;)