An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Weird Vocation Journey

superblue

ty all, I have kinda been tied in knots over this now,  it is weird knowing that either way I am going to be okay in life, my faith in and my relationship with Christ; is exciting and aggravating this may for what ever reason fall to pieces and for what ever if I ended up homeless I know deep down I would be okay and find a way with Christ.  I think it would hurt more on missing out on having some great friendships with the brothers at the Abbey, more than not being a Benedictine if that makes sense....    So hopefully by the end of the day Monday I will hear something, i won't be surprised if i don't, lol but at least i won't have to admit to them that i am checking my email constantly for a response !

An i am so impressed with my VD, he really does care about me and has been very patient with me and the abbot is just as kind and funny ( he cracked some jokes with me i did not see coming !  which makes it even funnier )

The thing i see again for me and i would say i am looking too far down the road but actually i am not for once, is being rejected this time, i know what it is going to feel like, i know how long it is going to take me to get back on my feet on a bunch of levels,,,, and i just do not want to go through that at this point in my life. But Christ, the Blessed Mother, my patron saint, guardian angel ,and St.Michael an i am sure many others are the ones who are there mending those wounds time and again.

anyhow

peace out for now.

ill keep yall posted.

3 days they have had my paper work n still nothing...... I understand I have to be patient, but why is it so difficult to say, hey we have a lot going on at the moment, it is going to take some time to go over things, I will contact you on such a day and let you know how things are going so you wont be stressing out waiting on a reply.  It is a lot of heart ache waiting.

Try to keep yourself busy and not think about it.  if you know its there then you can at least relax and know they have it, its not like they saw your papers and put them through the paper shredder!!  They will say something sooner or later.

Also, try to think of and use this time as a time of preparation, especially spiritual preparation.  If someone is going on a trip in order for it to have the lesser amount of trouble down the road it helps to prepare.  One researches the weather of the destination what to do things to see etc,.  Looks for decent places to stay makes hotel and flight bookings etc..If you are traveling by car on a long trip you make sure everything is good, oil, gas, air in tires.  Pray to God and ask Him to get ready in you all the things that need to be done spiritually if you are to enter. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

3 days they have had my paper work n still nothing...... I understand I have to be patient, but why is it so difficult to say, hey we have a lot going on at the moment, it is going to take some time to go over things, I will contact you on such a day and let you know how things are going so you wont be stressing out waiting on a reply.  It is a lot of heart ache waiting.

​I know how awful it is to wait for things. One thing to perhaps keep in mind--In the secular world of texting, etc. an instant response is often expected--even considered polite, if only to say "I'm busy right now." But, outside of that world, 3 days isn't really that long. Other people, even secular people, don't necessarily operate under the same "immediate response" timetable that has become common in the "texting" world. They may perhaps not even realize that you would expect any kind of response from them so quickly. I can't imagine the Community is being purposely rude (and it's clear that you are not saying they are rude).

I think your enthusiasm and desire to be in religious life is wonderful and shows how much you love God. But, sometimes God, working through other people, works on a different timetable, and isn't purposely trying to be rude or thoughtless.

Even though you are going through agonies waiting, I'd counsel that you not contact the Community too quickly to try to find out when you can expect to hear from them. I'd think that if you hadn't heard from them for two weeks or so, then you might call, just to get an idea of when you'd hear.

Note to Others--I came up with "two weeks" off the top of my head, as a reasonable amount of time to wait before asking when you can expect to get a response, making the assumption that the Community probably does not operate on a "texting/immediate response" timetable. Obviously, certain Communities are very quick with electronic responses, but I get the feeling that they are the exception. So, if anyone else reading this would suggest a different period of time before contacting the Community and politely asking when an answer might be expected, PLEASE speak up. I am no expert. Maybe waiting a week is more reasonable?

As someone who is VERY impatient, and has only learned a modicum of patience by God hitting me over the head multiple times, I understand what you are feeling. Hang in there. <hugs>

Ty for the responses all I appreciate it, I just needed to vent a lil,  an I do understand how things are, and I have no doubt that part of the response time is do a lot of activities going on at the Abbey at the present moment. I agree that two weeks sounds like a reasonable amount of time, before I reach out to them and ask what is going on... I suspect with the way things are busy at the moment for them I should hear something by the middle of next week.

Actually I am really happy with how this entire process has gone, versus my first crash an burn attempt with my diocese, I never had a chance to personally speak with my bishop, I went on like maybe 2 come an see weekend trips, and then I asked for the application packet an that was that.  I had the most awkward interview ever, and if frogs had wings > I learned a lot of valuable lessons though, which has made me appreciate the discerning process with this Benedictine order, everyone there has reached out to get to know me on some level and better yet, they are taking their time with things now even though it is turning me in knots, I would rather them take their time than have gotten back to me in next day an been like adios with out really taking the proper time to discern things on their end.

Plus the other things, I have family coming over at the end of the month, and I am a sponsor for a teen candidate for confirmation who is being confirmed this month as well. An my religious ed director was telling in a very nice warm way that I can't leave till May lol so looks like that might be the case.

I really do appreciate the prayers and keeping tabs on me here.

What abbey are you applying to? IF its private that okay.

​Private, if you check the pinned rules it explains, and I make sure to talk in generalities when speaking about my diocese / and where I have been.

No harm no foul,

• 3 weeks later...
superblue

for those of you keeping tabs, I have formally been accepted for postulancy with the Benedictine order I have been discerning with and my entrance date is in a few weeks.

It is a humbling and gut wrenching time, but I know I am in good hands.

God Bless all who have been praying and rooting for me, it has been a long and painful journey to this point and I know now that I have a great family with these Benedictines it is an odd feeling sometimes, love and joy, when  I have personally not experienced it on a regular basis and have only known it passing by .  It will be interesting to see what the new me later in life has become and done.

Swami Mommy

Congratulations!  May God's Presence fill your heart with peace and joy as you venture forth into the mystery of your deepening relationship with the Divine.