An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Are You In Your Discernment? Version 3.0

TheresaThoma

Exciting news, TT! And nerve-wracking :)

I don't know where I am nun-wise. I'm living with friends and just got hired for a really good job. Faith is coming easier since Christmas - but it was a really bleak autumn. Mostly I'm just super fed-up of the Orthodox Church in this country. Work on the new monastery has stalled, and with everything else, I've been wondering if 'nothing happening' is God's way of saying 'you choose'. But I'm trying my absolute hardest to not 'write my own story' of how I want things to go...

Just received a copy of BXVI's Jesus of Nazareth in the post though, so it's not all bad :)

"Wondering if 'nothing happening' is God's way of saying 'you choose'"....

That's a really good question, Marigold. I'm thinking about that very much in my life.

Could I ask for prayers for my family? I am in application with a community and my family is still very in denial about it. Hopefully they will come around to being more supportive over the next few month. Thank you:)

Do trust in the Lord, He will do it if it is in His will. My family was very reluctant about my way and you can see it even on the photos of my first entrance. At the beginning their faces are dark, and in the end of the celebration everyone is happy. HE is the God who does great wonders.

I got home from my come and see visit last night, and I had such a wonderful time. God provided the peace necessary for me to affirm that my vocation is to the religious life, specifically with this community. It has been, and will continue to be an arduous journey, but I am so thankful to God that I have gotten this far.

Well I guess visiting communities is out of the question since I'm saving for WYD. Could use some prayers for that and other other things.

I also need to stop watching Call the Midwife. I love it but it makes me feel so confused.

"Wondering if 'nothing happening' is God's way of saying 'you choose'"....

That's a really good question, Marigold. I'm thinking about that very much in my life.

It took me a very, very, very long time of wondering and praying about this question to finally come to peaceful affirmation that God does desire that we co-create our lives under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  I had SOOO wanted some kind of clear indication that would show me the ONE specific path that God had for me.  I no longer believe that it works that way (at least not for most of us). It seems more like we make each little step in each moment through allegiance to Christ, and even if there are unexpected and/or painful experiences along the way, God really does make things work out. I look for the fruits of the Spirit as indicators that I am walking with my eyes fixed on Christ, and the things-I-don't-know-about-what-comes-next seem to be much less of an anxiety. Quite freeing, actually.

Just my two cents on a really good question that is so germane to this forum.

Grace and peace,

Graciela

Graciela I kind of think it is like when your GPS gets confused/lost (I had an old GPS that did this ALOT). The best way was to just pick a direction and go. Eventually my GPS would sort itself out and get me where I needed to go. For me my spiritual life ha been like that. I just go in one direction until God shows me (usually through someone) I need to change directions. 

I recently spent a day with the Religious Sisters of Mercy and I feel like that confirmed my call to religious life - up until then I was very much on the fence, but seeing the beauty of community life and the potency of the vows in service to the Church magnified my realization that this is something I truly want.  I'm still unsure about which actual community I feel called to, I still have some more discerning to do in that regard, but at this moment I feel drawn to the RSM or the Daughters of Charity. 

I got home from my come and see visit last night, and I had such a wonderful time. God provided the peace necessary for me to affirm that my vocation is to the religious life, specifically with this community. It has been, and will continue to be an arduous journey, but I am so thankful to God that I have gotten this far.

I recently spent a day with the Religious Sisters of Mercy and I feel like that confirmed my call to religious life - up until then I was very much on the fence, but seeing the beauty of community life and the potency of the vows in service to the Church magnified my realization that this is something I truly want.  I'm still unsure about which actual community I feel called to, I still have some more discerning to do in that regard, but at this moment I feel drawn to the RSM or the Daughters of Charity. 

I'm happy for both of you! Glad you had good experiences! :)

It took me a very, very, very long time of wondering and praying about this question to finally come to peaceful affirmation that God does desire that we co-create our lives under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  I had SOOO wanted some kind of clear indication that would show me the ONE specific path that God had for me.  I no longer believe that it works that way (at least not for most of us). It seems more like we make each little step in each moment through allegiance to Christ, and even if there are unexpected and/or painful experiences along the way, God really does make things work out. I look for the fruits of the Spirit as indicators that I am walking with my eyes fixed on Christ, and the things-I-don't-know-about-what-comes-next seem to be much less of an anxiety. Quite freeing, actually.

Just my two cents on a really good question that is so germane to this forum.

Grace and peace,

Graciela

Graciela I kind of think it is like when your GPS gets confused/lost (I had an old GPS that did this ALOT). The best way was to just pick a direction and go. Eventually my GPS would sort itself out and get me where I needed to go. For me my spiritual life ha been like that. I just go in one direction until God shows me (usually through someone) I need to change directions. 

Yes, yes, and amen! You two have articulated it so well... I think I've had that belief for a long time - thinking of it as 'following my gut instinct' but maybe it's just trusting God enough to pick one option and know that if he wants something else, he'll let me know. And that gut instinct has never yet been wrong (on the big things. On how many cookies to eat, that's another story).

My flatmate and I were talking about this the other night actually, I'd just made quite a big decision and had been wrestling with what to do for a while. I realised that all the fear and anxiety and restlessness (the fruits Graciela mentioned) I was feeling about the situation were signs that it was heading in the wrong direction - and once I chose one option over another, all the pressure lifted. Which seems to be a sign that it was the right thing to do for now :)

Just placed an order about black postulant's wear at some inexpensive fashion label. Funny feeling. I had to give some thought to the size: Sister told me the jackets and pullovers should be large enough to fit over the tunic afterwards.

Just placed an order about black postulant's wear at some inexpensive fashion label. Funny feeling. I had to give some thought to the size: Sister told me the jackets and pullovers should be large enough to fit over the tunic afterwards.

Aha, so you have decided!  :winner:

Oh:) Obviously I have. You're right. :D

Today I've figured out where you get high-necked black shirts with long sleeves: men's undergarments! It's even washable at high temperature. :D

For some explanation: I had asked Sister about these things just under the premise I might need them later. In case I would decide to enter. But you're right, obviously I have already made my decision without noticing it:D

For some explanation: I had asked Sister about these things just under the premise I might need them later. In case I would decide to enter. But you're right, obviously I have already made my decision without noticing it:D

Which community are you entering? congratulations!

Also, your username reminds me of the movie Freaky Friday with Lindsay Lohan.  There's a scene where she tries to pronounce the word "senescence" :D