An Old School Catholic Message Board

Unbroken: The Worst Movie Ever Made

It's horrible. And Angelina Jolie is a bad person for having made it. The story that the movie is based on is an amazing one. But the movie is awful. I would personally rather spend 137 minutes in a Japanese POW Camp than sit through that movie again. 

I loved the movie. It spoke of the power of the human spirit and she did not ignore his strong faith. Too bad you didn't read the book or were able to appreciate the film for what it is. Reports over the weekend said that it appealed to an older, more sophisticated audience. I guess your reaction proves the point. He was truly an American (and spiritual) hero. I hope you will take some time to express inward gratitude for what men like him gave us. I'm sure he was pretty bored on the raft for 48 days, and the torture was most likely nothing you had to endure by watching the movie. Sad. I'm sure you'll be less bored by Will Ferrell's next movie.

Oh, and yeah. She's a terribly bad person for making that movie. If you did indeed read The book -including his book - I think we can agree you wouldn't last longer than 45 minutes in a Japanese POW camp (which didn't abide by the Genrva convention rules, btw). Good luck sifting through the meat and fish they brought to our allies, rotten, filled with maggots and drenched in human waste. Yeah, you'd definitely last.

Welcome to Phatmass, Obonitas!

I should warn you: You're off to a bad start. We don't assault people's character around here. And we really try to limit our snark. (Not that we're perfect, but still...)

Iunno. That was a pretty mild snipe. Harse can handle it. :)

Yeah, but s/he doesn't know Hasan, and this is his/her very first post.

Bad sign.

I loved the movie. It spoke of the power of the human spirit and she did not ignore his strong faith. Too bad you didn't read the book or were able to appreciate the film for what it is. Reports over the weekend said that it appealed to an older, more sophisticated audience. I guess your reaction proves the point. He was truly an American (and spiritual) hero. I hope you will take some time to express inward gratitude for what men like him gave us. I'm sure he was pretty bored on the raft for 48 days, and the torture was most likely nothing you had to endure by watching the movie. Sad. I'm sure you'll be less bored by Will Ferrell's next movie.

Your intellectually lazy and poorly expressing rebuttal falls exactly into her cynical trap. 

Yes, the story is an amazing one. I said as much in my original post. Louis Zamperini was a fascinating and inspiring individual. That doesn't mean that Angelina Jolie's movie was a good movie. 

Louis Zamperini being an incredible person does not make Angelina Jolie a good director.

See the difference?

Oh, and yeah. She's a terribly bad person for making that movie. If you did indeed read The book -including his book - I think we can agree you wouldn't last longer than 45 minutes in a Japanese POW camp (which didn't abide by the Genrva convention rules, btw). Good luck sifting through the meat and fish they brought to our allies, rotten, filled with maggots and drenched in human waste. Yeah, you'd definitely last.

Again, you're conflating three different thing. The actual life and experiences of Louis Zamperini, the biography that was written about him, and the awful and lazy movie that the profoundly untalented Angelina Jolie made about this inspiring individual, thereby robbing a competent director the chance to make a movie that actually does justice to the subject matter. 

I don't need to read the book to know about the conditions of Japanese POW camps. My grandfather's commanding officer and family friend survived the Bataan Death March (as a consequence, he was morbidly obese for the rest of his life, hunger triggered flashbacks) and I had family members who fought against the Japanese in the South Pacific and saw the handy work of the Imperial Japanese Army. 

You are falling right into her trap. Angelina Jolie wants an oscar. So she made this awful, shallow, cliche drenched movie to try to conflate the experiences and story of Louise with her talents as a director. It's a cynical and lazy move.

Clint Eastwood could have probably made a great version of this movie. But that's because a) Clint Eastwood is actually talented and is not just the offspring of a talented actor and b) Clint Eastwood actually believes in the values that his movies celebrate, he's just just trying to ape them so that the oscar folks feel guilted into honoring his efforts. 

My mom read the book and loves it. She also hated this movie. Because it's a bad and lazy movie.

Except for the cinematography, which is quite good and was not done by Angelina Jolie. 

Ash Wednesday

In some cases, the following would suffice when having a differing opinion. 

e53d7f8067067a51029cde8260094ff5867b10ab

I think that may come in handy here at some point.

That is normally the case. However, there are times when a stand must be made. Plus I wasted 10 dollars and 137 minutes of my life. Villainy must be confronted.  

Ash Wednesday

That is normally the case. However, there are times when a stand must be made. Plus I wasted 10 dollars and 137 minutes of my life. Villainy must be confronted.  

Wasn't really directed at you.

But yeah:

Eastwood > Jolie

Thanks for the welcome & advice. I've been on Phatmass since it started, but I cannot - for the life of me - figure out how to install my old name. I also moved, which accounts for some of my computer issues. Anyway, I didn't really hang out in Open Mic since I'm in active discernment, and I don't know the group here. This subject caught my eye because it was on the feed. I was totally reactionary and I apologize if anybody had their feelings hurt.

That all being said, in all honesty, I worked on the film (in LA not in Australia) and my reaction was purely personal. I've worked with a lot of people and she was the kindest, most considerate director I've ever seen. She's also extremely gifted with a great eye. Yes, Clint Eastwood, too. And I would be remiss in not mentioning Mel Gibson. I'm not a high level person, but a worker who most people would not acknowledge as I run for coffee or whatever - can't say that about her or anybody associated with her. I had the good fortune of meeting Louis Zamperini and he was what anybody who read his books would imagine. He also LOVED what he saw. I don't believe the entire film was finished when he saw it, but I know he saw a rough cut.

I'm sorry if any of you took offense at my remarks, which clearly the OP could handle, but calling a director evil because you don't like the movie is really not okay. Just so you know, if you don't like you movie, you are free to leave and ask for your money back. Obviously, not after you've seen the whole thing.

You are entitled to your opinion and clearly you're passionate about film. In the future, if you find yourself so traumatized and tortured: leave. But out of everybody in Hollywood, I can say with my whole heart that Angelina Jolie is not evil.