An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confused Cradle Catholic!

Ora et Labora

Ora et Labora

Hey guys... SOME of you guys might remember me! I'm a very old member who has not been on this site for 4ish years. I'm 24 now, almost 25! I stopped going to Mass Christmas Eve 2010. I went to my 1st mass after 4 years yesterday. I felt a peace and familiarity while I was there, which was comforting, but I can't ignore the many reasons my head is telling me not to commit to catholicism again. I'm sure you guys have seen these questions before and are maybe a little confused as to why a previous practicing catholic is so confused... believe me! I would tell you guys if I had that answer. The validity of the bible is I believe the biggest concern. WHY do we believe so ardently that Jesus IS God? These two questions are the biggest ones. I'm going back to basics here. The teachings of the church aren't too confusing for me for some odd reason. It's a little embarrassing to even admit that I need help with these answers, but I would love anything at this point. My heart is heavy. I wish I wasn't so doubtful. I simply want answers and the truth! I hope this made at least a little bit of sense. Thanks in advance Phamily. :)

Kristina

Why do we believe Jesus is God? For me the witness and powerful effects of the Resurrection are convincing. The martyrs, starting with St. Stephen, speak to me that this is a true event and not made up by liars. It is by his divinity that he rose from the dead. It is by his resurrection that we have hope for ourselves in the next world. 

Also, his words in scriptures are wisdom itself. I am moved by the original and authoritative love he gives especially to the poor and sinners. His words are different than anyone else I have ever read ancient or modern. 

Why do I accept the authority of the Scriptures? Because people with the power of Christ to bind and to loose have bound me to do so. This is not to say Scripture, especially after studying it academically, is not something I struggle with. The Bible is kind of a mess. And it gets messier the more you study it. This is why the Church took 200 years to arrange the Canon of Scripture. So,  I too struggle with scripture. And for me, following St. Augustine, I only accept it on the account of the Church. This is not to say that I do not read it and contemplate its truth. Despite the mess, and sometimes because of it, it is really beautiful. And often my wrestling with Scripture leads to the fruit of greater love in my life. 

Ask God to show you the way. He will.