An Old School Catholic Message Board

Medical Marijuana Or Weed In General

BitterHoney

Disclaimer: I don't smoke dope myself.

I am curious though if your statement applies to alcohol as well? Because after all God made wine to cheer man's heart. Only the misuse of alcohol is a sin. So is there an amount of marijuana use that is acceptable or not? And certainly the use of it for medical purposes is not blasphemy, is it? Just interested in your opinion - not challenging you.

Alcoholism is a very serious deadly disease, only one drink has been know to distroy lives.
Pot is much the same way, some people just can't handle it.
Both (as well as other chemical drugs) should be avoided as its usage weakens the mind, body and most importantly your Spirit. Edited by little2add

Working with those who experience homelessness in Denver, we see how the legalization of marijuana has impacted the homeless population here.

There's much more to the debate than just that, but that has especially influenced my distaste for its legalization.

Working with those who experience homelessness in Denver, we see how the legalization of marijuana has impacted the homeless population here.

There's much more to the debate than just that, but that has especially influenced my distaste for its legalization.

Have there been any academic studies of the link between homelessness and marijuana's legal status?

Basilisa you missed my point. I'm under the impression that tobacco and weed have different effects, in terms of when it is being used. I've never heard of someone being arrested for a DUI after smoking tobacco, but I'm pretty sure people have been arrested for a DWI while high.

I guess maybe I missed your point, come to think of it.

Edited by Amppax

People always have the most difficult time with consistency on this topic. But you know, I kinda get it. If you are never exposed to legitimate data and information you will never form a sound opinion. And even if someone is exposed to legitimate data or information, the disease of anti-intellectualism allows them to turn a blind eye to favor a bias. 

Edited by CrossCuT

Not A Real Name

People always have the most difficult time with consistency on this topic. But you know, I kinda get it. If you are never exposed to legitimate data and information you will never form a sound opinion. And even if someone is exposed to legitimate data or information, the disease of anti-intellectualism allows them to turn a blind eye to favor a bias. 

Is this your way of calling people stupid?

Ehh, maybe. Its moreso my way of wanting to debate but also submitting myself to the outcome of past debates that went nowhere. 

Instead of adding nothing to the discussion except your own self-righteous smugness, how about sharing this data you're so wild about?

I don't have a particularly strong opinion, but I've noticed way too much of this "all the data supports us!" attitude, followed by very little data.

I personally avoid discussing illegality, because I don't really care, I'm more concerned with the morality.

For me personally, I find that anecdotes add very little to this particular topic, because we have heard them all. One side says marijuana does this and this and this to a person over the long term, or whatever, and one side says that it either does not do those things, or that those things are caused by other things, or that the benefits far outweigh the costs. 

Whatever the argument is, we have all heard it.

What I want is hard data, proper studies, peer reviews. And I know that data is sparse, I know there is a lot more work to do, but at this point that is all I think we can rely on to come to defensible conclusions. Otherwise this debate cannot progress.

They are not hard to find. Ive posted them in past conversations but people dont give two bothers. 

I personally enjoy PubMed.

veritasluxmea

Well, here's some data. For people addicted to marijuana (use it on a regular basis), it can lead to brain damage. This was "discovered" last year, actually. 

http://www.medicaldaily.com/marijuana-use-causes-brain-damage-confirmed-241869

Of course, supporters of marijuana argue that it can still be used safely as long as it's rare. Unfortunately, this isn't good news for people who use pot on a regular basis. Brain damaging or not, it still gets you high. Yes, you can be arrested for driving while high, like driving while drunk. It's not legal to drive while high in any state. 

Here is a large article outlining pretty much all relevant up to date studies and information we have on cannabis. Plenty of links to studies. Includes pros and cons etc etc etc

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2012/07/25/cannabis-cannabinoids-and-cancer-the-evidence-so-far/

The only ironic thing is that we never seem to debate alcohol and or cigarettes which are well documented as pretty much terrible in all circumstances. But who cares they're legal!!!!!!!

But if even one shred of information says that marijuana will make someone more likely to stub their toe, its satan's puffs! If you are all so cool beans with people drinking and/or smoking themselves to death, why do you care if this is legal so they can marijuana themselves to death? (which has never happened ever...)

Concerning the debate on the most ample level, here's a report that considers the various angles within the context of Vermont. As you said, it fits the arguments that we tend to hear. In aspects legalization would be positive, in others less.

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/media/lib/210/4/5/2/452693ca-4384-404c-83d0-863e30ec364c/RAND_Report_Regarding_Marijuana_Legalization_in_Vermont.pdf

Responding to your other post concerning those who are experiencing homelessness, organizations in Denver are reporting a greater number of people staying in their shelters, particularly youth, who credit their presence to the legalization of marijuana. However, it's worth noting that this is largely the result of outsiders coming into Denver to smoke pot without being penalized. There is not necessarily a distinction made between those who were living homeless before they arrived and those who accepted a state of homelessness to smoke pot legally. You're observation is applicable again (at least as far as I know): there's not much thorough evidence directly relating marijuana use to homelessness. Here are a handful of articles concerning that, but you can google the subject to find any number of them:

http://dailysignal.com/2014/12/28/rocky-mountain-high-30-homeless-denver-shelter-came-marijuana/

http://news.yahoo.com/pot-seen-reason-rise-denver-homeless-175115981.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/28/marijuana-legalization-homeless-denver_n_5626948.html

That being said, the Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area published a report on marijuana-related incidents in relation to its legalization, and the review is general negative.

http://www.rmhidta.org/html/August%202014%20Legalization%20of%20MJ%20in%20Colorado%20the%20Impact.pdf

One way or another, I think it will be hard, if not impossible, to ever prove that marijuana has a direct negative impact on society. We can only measure tendencies in human behavior since our decisions aren't made by a mere cause-effect mechanism. If we are waiting for that kind of "proof", we will be waiting forever. However, there are certain things that can provoke or strengthen the factors that don't nourish human flourishing, and I think there is plenty of evidence to show that marijuana is one of those. I know that it's not enough to make a case against its legalization, especially when compared to other things we have that are legal, but I don't think that the comparison to other legal things is sufficient to argue for its legalization either.

Peace be with you all,

I don't think it's a good argument to propose legalizing cannabis just because we permit smoking and drinking. The latter two are unhealthy pastimes that can be dangerous in excess but are a part of American culture and have been grandfathered past anti-drug legislation. Giving license to more drug abuse wont make our situation better. 

Pax et bonum