An Old School Catholic Message Board

Medical Marijuana Or Weed In General

BitterHoney

I think your entire argument distills down to this quote.

Why smoke weed recreationally if you're not getting stoned?

But it is a simple answer. If marijuana were legal, someone could smoke it in a recreational manner in the same way that one now can drink in a recreational manner.
You are too hung up on the fact that prohibition encourages immoderate usage in several ways.
One can drink with the intention of enjoying alcohol's effects in a reasonable manner. The same could - does not, but could - occur with marijuana were it legal.
Please note the qualifiers.

Peace be with you Nihil Obstat,

But it is a simple answer. If marijuana were legal, someone could smoke it in a recreational manner in the same way that one now can drink in a recreational manner.
You are too hung up on the fact that prohibition encourages immoderate usage in several ways.
One can drink with the intention of enjoying alcohol's effects in a reasonable manner. The same could - does not, but could - occur with marijuana were it legal.
Please note the qualifiers.

But the question is can marijuana be used in such a manner? I have never heard of someone smoking with the intention of avoiding a high, but perhaps it's possible that it's used this way. 

Personally I don't think prohibition leads to the abuse, I think marijuana has historically been used for it's mind altering state. In other words, the culture that surrounds marijuana inhalation is not of moderation to avoid severe changes in the mental state, but is instead used to encourage them.

Perhaps a brave soul will be able to talk about their own experiences with the dub. 

Oremus Pro Invicem

I'm no brave soul and I only speak for myself. In the 12 years that I smoked marjiuana recreationally I never, ever, smoked to not get high. I also never bought weed with low levels of THC. If such a dealer had weak weed, that person would not get my business. If I received weak weed I quickly got the word out to my friends that, that dealer had very low grad marijuana. Lastly when I started selling I met all types of individuals, teens, moms, dads, older folks, and successful business men and women. Not once did they ask for,or request, weak weed. All of them wanted the highest THC grad weed for their $.

I'm not brave but if I smoke it's usually 1 to 3 times a week. Sometimes none at all. I'm not sure what "stoned" even technically means but if it's comparable to really drunk then no I don't get stoned. When I smoke it's a very small amount. Do I get a buzz? Yes. A buzz that is not comparable to an alcohol buzz. Is this buzz strong at times? Yea initially then it gradually calms down. I usually relax after I smoke and watch tv or listen to music. I enjoy to read also. It's really not a big deal if a grown adult wants to use small amounts of marijuana. Alcohol almost ruined my life and killed me. My family has a lot of people who have had problems with alcohol. I'm thankful to God I haven't had a drink in 16 months. Me using marijuana in moderation is nothing more then me doing it do it unwind and relax. Not something I need or am dependent on.

Edited by Guest

Beer and whisky both contain alcohol. According to your logic nobody would ever buy beer because it is much weaker. We know that is not the case, so we must then ask why.

Oremus Pro Invicem

Beer and whisky both contain alcohol. According to your logic nobody would ever buy beer because it is much weaker. We know that is not the case, so we must then ask why.

If you want to keep comparing how or why people use alcohol as being the same as how or why they would use marijuana then this discussion is going to go nowhere. Unfortunately there is no way for me to get through to you that weed and alcohol are not the same thing nor are they approached in the same way, neither is the culture the same.

If you want to keep comparing how or why people use alcohol as being the same as how or why they would use marijuana then this discussion is going to go nowhere. Unfortunately there is no way for me to get through to you that weed and alcohol are not the same thing nor are they approached in the same way, neither is the culture the same.

Exactly. I'm sorry I haven't expressed this point very well but that is the gist of it. The cultures are very different. 

Oremus Pro Invicem

Exactly. I'm sorry I haven't expressed this point very well but that is the gist of it. The cultures are very different.

Very different. A recreational alcohol drinker would be out of there element at festival like Hempfest, just as how a recreational marijuana user would be out of their element at a festival like Oktoberfest. Edited by Oremus Pro Invicem

Peace be with you Oremus Pro Invicem,

Very different. A alcohol drinker would be out of there element at festival like hempfest, just as how a recreational marijuana user would be out of their element at festival like Oktoberfest.

Thank you for sharing your witness. What is the sensation to be experienced with weed? Is the will and intellect affected? What is the culture from your perspective?

Pardon the questions, address whichever you feel comfortable

Nobody has communicated any actual reason for that yet. I have said repeatedly that I am waiting for it. Go ahead.

Ark, exactly what should be done to people who smoke weed? What are you advocating by saying society withhold permission for people to indulge in this particular vice?

Oremus Pro Invicem

Peace be with you Oremus Pro Invicem,

Thank you for sharing your witness. What is the sensation to be experienced with weed? Is the will and intellect affected? What is the culture from your perspective?

Pardon the questions, address whichever you feel comfortable

During my use with marijuana the sensations experienced have varied. One thing that I will say, which echoes what Josh stated, is that marijuana comes on strong and then tapers off. The sensations are different and can change over time. Sometimes you can be completely relaxed, giddy, sleepy, and happy. Sometimes it's very difficult to stay focused, while other times you find yourself overthinking things.

As for the weed culture, in my opinion, it is difficult to pin down. Like alcohol there are different types of users, however, I've found that unlike alcohol the majority of people who use weed do so to get high. For alcohol users, the majority I've met, do not drink to get drunk. In fact a drunk is still considered a person who has abused alcohol. A receational marijuana user who is high is not looked at as abusing marjiuana. Does that make sense? Edited by Oremus Pro Invicem

Oremus Pro Invicem

Nobody has communicated any actual reason for that yet. I have said repeatedly that I am waiting for it. Go ahead.

Both Josh and myself have given our experiences with marijuana and while they have been different we have both been in agreement that they are not approached or used the same as alcohol. You shouldn't need a study to tell you that different substances will be approached differently.

Your idea that a recreational marijuana user would go searching for and purchase low grad THC marijuana, is about as logical as saying a recreational cocain user would go searching for and purchase coke cut with the most baby laxatives.

Peace be with you Winchester,

Ark, exactly what should be done to people who smoke weed? What are you advocating by saying society withhold permission for people to indulge in this particular vice?

Interesting question, I'm not sure, maybe community service.