Luigi

Upcoming Come & See Weekends

Luigi

Dominican Nuns - Los Angeles (technically, Hollywood) 

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Consecrated Life Day - Come and See

Quite a line-up! A bishop, a Dominican prior, a Dominican, brunch with the nuns & friars, a conference by a Dominican professor from the Angelicum in Rome, followed by the rosary & benediction!  

https://www.facebook.com/MonasteryOfTheAngels/photos/a.346266285449800.77979.346262895450139/825384187538005/?type=1&theater 

Edited by Luigi

Luigi

Holy Cross Trappist Abbey (Virginia), September 11 - 13, 2015. $300. Men only. 

This is not necessarily a Come and See Weekend - they call it a Monastic Immersion Weekend. But if I were interested in the Trappists...

PRICE FOR WEEKEND IS $300

Monastic Immersion Weekends are intensive retreats in which participants ‘immerse’ themselves in the life of the community and monastic life. Originally intended only for men discerning a vocation, in 2013 the community expanded the MIWs to include one for men and one for men and women. These retreats are open to all-those discerning and those not candidates for monastic life but simply looking for a more intense experience in and with the community.

MIWs require participants to participate in the full life of the community. This means retreatants are expected to attend every Office in the Abbey Church including getting up at 3am to be in choir for Vigils at 3:30. Because participants in the MIW join the community for the Divine Office it means having choir practice with the monastic cantor, Fr. James once or twice during the retreat and it means attending at least three conferences conducted by monks and the Companion of the Abbey on the Rule of St. Benedict, history of monasticism with special emphasis on Cistercian monasticism, and creating a personal lifestyle of prayer and praying the Divine Office.

These are mostly silent retreats, though obviously there is conversation during the conferences. Meals are taken in silence with reading in the monastic tradition.

MIWs depend on the contributions of those attending so we ask for a minimum contribution of $300 for the weekend, which includes all the materials, choir shirt and other clothing which MIW participants receive. Those who wish to attend but can’t afford to make a contribution are encouraged to send email to companions@virginiatrappists.org to request a scholarship.

A sample schedule for an MIW would look like this:

3:30 am     Vigils

4:15             Half hour of silent prayer in the Retreat House chapel

4:45             Rest, lectio divina

7:00             Lauds and Mass

7:45             Breakfast

9:00            Conference with a monk or Companion

10:30           Rest/lectio/exercise

12:00 noon  Lunch

1:00              Rest

2:00pm        Mid-day prayer

2:15-4:30     Private time

5:30pm        Vespers

6:15pm         Dinner

7:30pm        Compline

8:15             The Great Silence

Men only weekend is September 11-13, 2015

If you are interested email companions@virginiatrappists.org or call the Companion Office at 540-955-4604

corban711

It's not an official Come and See weekend, but I am going on a 17-day Come and See starting this Saturday.  Please pray for me and my discernment!  This will be my second come and see with this Community.  My last Come and See was a 9-day live in and it went very, very well.  So far the entire discernment process with them has been very positive both from my end and from theirs.  

Last visit, I had the opportunity to have multiple meetings with the Vocation Director and the Novice Master, as well as one with the Prior while sharing fully in their life.  This time around, I will be undergoing the dreaded psychological exam!  

marigold

It's not an official Come and See weekend, but I am going on a 17-day Come and See starting this Saturday.  Please pray for me and my discernment!  This will be my second come and see with this Community.  My last Come and See was a 9-day live in and it went very, very well.  So far the entire discernment process with them has been very positive both from my end and from theirs.  

Last visit, I had the opportunity to have multiple meetings with the Vocation Director and the Novice Master, as well as one with the Prior while sharing fully in their life.  This time around, I will be undergoing the dreaded psychological exam!  

​17 days and a psych exam is no cakewalk... wishing you the best for it! :)

:o)Katherine:o)

​Prayers for you! :)

TheresaThoma

I found out today that I will be spending most of next week with the community I am discerning. with. Part of it will be a young adult conference but I'm coming down a couple of days early to visit and help out. I'm so excited and happy. Its not really an official come and see but the Community uses these young adult retreats/conferences as an intro into their life and spirituality.

corban711

​Thank you both (marigold and Katherine) so much for the support and prayers!  It is going to be a very blessed time, I know.  God is exceedingly good and merciful.  I am really excited to be there again and spend more time with the community.  2 days of psych exams I am not excited for, but hey...gotta do it!   Haha

I found out today that I will be spending most of next week with the community I am discerning. with. Part of it will be a young adult conference but I'm coming down a couple of days early to visit and help out. I'm so excited and happy. Its not really an official come and see but the Community uses these young adult retreats/conferences as an intro into their life and spirituality.

​TheresaThoma, that is amesome.  How exciting!  I will pray for you while I am at my come and see.  I pray it is a very blessed time for you and helps you to come to know ever more clearly the desires of the Heart of Jesus for you

Edited by corban711
Because I am not very good at phatmassing

marigold

​Hurray! How exciting!

:o)Katherine:o)

So exciting Theresa! Prayers for you as you spend time with them! 

sr.christinaosf

Just curious, when you attend these come and see weekends, what are your expectations; what are you hoping for?