An Old School Catholic Message Board

Upcoming Come & See Weekends

Luigi

300 bucks for a weekend... :( I'm pinching pennies to pay for flights half that price!

It's not an official Come and See weekend, but I am going on a 17-day Come and See starting this Saturday.  Please pray for me and my discernment!  This will be my second come and see with this Community.  My last Come and See was a 9-day live in and it went very, very well.  So far the entire discernment process with them has been very positive both from my end and from theirs.  

Last visit, I had the opportunity to have multiple meetings with the Vocation Director and the Novice Master, as well as one with the Prior while sharing fully in their life.  This time around, I will be undergoing the dreaded psychological exam!  

It's not an official Come and See weekend, but I am going on a 17-day Come and See starting this Saturday.  Please pray for me and my discernment!  This will be my second come and see with this Community.  My last Come and See was a 9-day live in and it went very, very well.  So far the entire discernment process with them has been very positive both from my end and from theirs.  

Last visit, I had the opportunity to have multiple meetings with the Vocation Director and the Novice Master, as well as one with the Prior while sharing fully in their life.  This time around, I will be undergoing the dreaded psychological exam!  

​17 days and a psych exam is no cakewalk... wishing you the best for it! :)

:o)Katherine:o)

​Prayers for you! :)

TheresaThoma

I found out today that I will be spending most of next week with the community I am discerning. with. Part of it will be a young adult conference but I'm coming down a couple of days early to visit and help out. I'm so excited and happy. Its not really an official come and see but the Community uses these young adult retreats/conferences as an intro into their life and spirituality.

​Thank you both (marigold and Katherine) so much for the support and prayers!  It is going to be a very blessed time, I know.  God is exceedingly good and merciful.  I am really excited to be there again and spend more time with the community.  2 days of psych exams I am not excited for, but hey...gotta do it!   Haha

I found out today that I will be spending most of next week with the community I am discerning. with. Part of it will be a young adult conference but I'm coming down a couple of days early to visit and help out. I'm so excited and happy. Its not really an official come and see but the Community uses these young adult retreats/conferences as an intro into their life and spirituality.

​TheresaThoma, that is amesome.  How exciting!  I will pray for you while I am at my come and see.  I pray it is a very blessed time for you and helps you to come to know ever more clearly the desires of the Heart of Jesus for you

Edited by corban711
Because I am not very good at phatmassing

​Hurray! How exciting!

:o)Katherine:o)

So exciting Theresa! Prayers for you as you spend time with them! 

sr.christinaosf

Just curious, when you attend these come and see weekends, what are your expectations; what are you hoping for?

TheresaThoma

My biggest hope is to get a good idea of what the community is actually like. I want to know what their apostolates are and what their prayer life is like.I know that you can't cover everything in a weekend but I want to be able to get a good enough idea of what the community is like to see if I want to continue discerning with them. Its nice to have one or two "fun" things thrown in but for me on a come and see I'm not there for a "fun" retreat  I'm there to learn about the community.

Honestly I think the ideal size for a come and see weekend especially if the community is smaller is about 10. Its not as intimidating as a visit by yourself but the group isn't so large that it throws the normal schedule out of whack. Larger communities obviously can host larger groups but I think making sure to cap the number so each woman can have some individual time is crucial.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dominican friars, Province of St. Joseph (eastern US) - Dates for the '15-'16 academic year. 

Sept. 18-20, 2015 vocation weekend #1
Oct. 23-25, 2015 vocation weekend #2
Feb. 5-7, 2016 vocation weekend #3
Mar. 18-20, 2016 vocation weekend #4

For more details, questions, reservations, etc., see: http://vocations.opeast.org/2013/09/27/vocation-weekends/ 

Dominican friars, Province of St. Martin de Porres (southern US) - 

Come and See Weekend – October 16-18, 2015   October 16 – 18, 2015   St. Dominic Priory and Studium 3407 Lafayette Avenue St. Louis, Missouri 63104   Contact Fr. Charlie Johnson, O.P. to register or for more information: vocations@opsouth.org or (504) 837-2129 x6   A weekend to come and learn more about what it means to be a Dominican friar.   Is God calling you to be a Dominican friar (priest or brother)? The Catholic Church in the South needs more friars preachers, it needs you!   For more information visit the links below: 

http://www.dominicanvocations.com/becoming-a-dominican/discenment-weekends/