Jump to content
Luigi

Upcoming Come & See Weekends

Recommended Posts

Luigi

************************

Dominican friars, Province of St. Albert the Great - (Midwest US) - 

Same dates and place as the Southern province. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luigi

St. Anselm Benedictine Abbey, Washington DC. They run an elite middle & high school.

############################################

"Come Seeking God" Monastic Discernment Weekend

Find if Monastic Life is God’s calling for you.
Visit Saint Anselm’ s Abbey


Date: October 16-18, 2015 (RSVP)
Location: St. Anselm's Abbey (directions)
(Download PDF)


If you are a Catholic male pondering whether God may be calling you to a monastic vocation, consider experiencing a long weekend living with our monastic community, participating in its prayer, work, study, and communal life.

Even if you cannot participate in one of these weekends with other men seeking to answer God’s call, you are invited to contact the vocation director and make arrangements to visit the Abbey. All are welcome any time to participate in the praying of the divine office with the monks.

If you have further questions or plan on attending please contact Father Christopher, O.S.B., Vocation Director, by e-mail at: vocations@stanselms.org or you can phone: (202) 269-2335.

Listen carefully, my child to your master's precepts, and incline the ear of your heart (Prov. 4:20).


For more information, contact:

Fr. Christopher, Vocation Director
tel: 202-269-2335
email: vocations@stanselms.org

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luigi

Benedictine Monks - Mary, Mother of the Church abbey in Richmond, VA. They operate a military school - pretty ritzy from what I can tell. It's a small community of monks, but they've had a number of vocations recently. 

http://www.richmondmonks.org/ 

################

DISCERNMENT WEEKEND

When:    Fri Oct 16 - Sun Oct 18
Where:  Abbey 
For Who?:  Men 18 - 45
Call:  804.708.9653

Email: vocations@richmondmonks.org

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luigi
St. Procopius Abbey, Benedictine monks, in Lisle, Illinois (near Chicago). They run a middle & high school as well as a college.

Just a brief notification that our next "Come and See" vocation discernment weekend, for men 18-45, is scheduled for Friday-Sunday, November 20-22. If you know anyone interested, have them contact me at vocations@procopius.org or at 630-829-9279.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luigi

Monastic Immersion Weekend - Virginia Trappists - with nearly full scholarship

https://www.virginiatrappists.org/join-us-in-prayer/join-us/monastic-immersion-weekend/ 

MIW almost full-scholarship offered

AUGUST 8, 2015 BY KURT LEAVE A COMMENT

We actually call each Monastic Immersion Weekend group a ‘class’ since we only have two MIWs a year.  We also say, after you attend that you have been ‘crossed’ because you receive a new Holy Cross Abbey crucifix from the Abbot your first night here in a fairly moving ceremony at the high altar in the abbey church.  Some, who have attended more than one MIW, consider themselves ‘double crossed’ having received more than one cross from the Abbot.

One of our double crossed MIW alumni so enjoys the abbey he has sent a check to cover the cost of the MIW ($300) for someone who perhaps would like to attend but can’t afford it.

If you are interested in this scholarship send email to companions@virginiatrappists.org and let us know … we’ll consider each person applying (along with our alumnus donor) and let you know.

Do it quickly though because there are only a couple slots left.

The MIW (information at Take Part on the home page) is September 11-13 this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luigi
Come and See Weekend: Friday 13 November - Sunday 15 NovemberPDFPrintE-mail
Written by Fr Augustine   
Wednesday, 14 October 2015 17:50

comeandsee.png

Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 October 2015 17:57

 

I think this is the first Come & See Weekend this monastery has offered. They're English Congregation Benedictines, but only about four or five of the monks these days are from England - all the rest are American. They run a very upscale and academically rigorous school for boys, grades 6 through 12. A buddy of mine is the prior there. They have LOTS of younger monks. There are maybe 30 or 32 monks in the monastery, and about 12 of them are considered "juniors." Maybe six or seven of the monks graduated from the monastery's high school. 

 

Interesting footnote  - the abbot had polio as a child (probably the last man in America to have polio!), so he uses a golf cart to get around the grounds and those waist-high crutches to get around in a building.  

Web site: http://www.stlouisabbey.org/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katherineH
On August 13, 2015 at 12:34:48 AM, Luigi said:

Monastic Immersion Weekend - Virginia Trappists - with nearly full scholarship

https://www.virginiatrappists.org/join-us-in-prayer/join-us/monastic-immersion-weekend/ 

MIW almost full-scholarship offered

AUGUST 8, 2015 BY KURT LEAVE A COMMENT

We actually call each Monastic Immersion Weekend group a ‘class’ since we only have two MIWs a year.  We also say, after you attend that you have been ‘crossed’ because you receive a new Holy Cross Abbey crucifix from the Abbot your first night here in a fairly moving ceremony at the high altar in the abbey church.  Some, who have attended more than one MIW, consider themselves ‘double crossed’ having received more than one cross from the Abbot.

One of our double crossed MIW alumni so enjoys the abbey he has sent a check to cover the cost of the MIW ($300) for someone who perhaps would like to attend but can’t afford it.

If you are interested in this scholarship send email to companions@virginiatrappists.org and let us know … we’ll consider each person applying (along with our alumnus donor) and let you know.

Do it quickly though because there are only a couple slots left.

The MIW (information at Take Part on the home page) is September 11-13 this year.

Do you have any idea why the retreats cost so much? It seems like it wouldn't cost more than $50 to feed and house someone for a weekend...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luigi
Just now, katherineH said:

Do you have any idea why the retreats cost so much? It seems like it wouldn't cost more than $50 to feed and house someone for a weekend...

No clue whatsoever. It's also past. I assume that future weekends would cost about the same amount, though.

I'd e-mail the monk-in-charge and ask him if I were you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katherineH
Just now, Luigi said:

No clue whatsoever. It's also past. I assume that future weekends would cost about the same amount, though.

I'd e-mail the monk-in-charge and ask him if I were you.

Thanks Luigi! I was mostly just asking out of curiosity. I've never heard of retreats costing that much.  I know the Michigan and Nashville Dominicans charge about $50 but that makes more sense to me since they house many people and food costs can add up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luigi

Dominican friars. Applies to the southern province (St. Martin de Porres) and the central province (St. Albert the Great). 

12376808_10153280305166546_6423423942117

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×