An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm In A Glass Box Of Emotion About This Pope

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

He's cool and all. I'm not exactly a fan, and still long for the days when we had a German pontiff. However, I try to be fair and not argue with everything he does. I often empathize with many points traditionalists raise against various statements of his, and I am not exactly pleased with what's going on with the Franciscans of the Immaculate, but now I'm in an awkward place because trads are flipping out over the Pope's statement on global climate change this morning and I'm left as the lone traditionalist who actually agrees with his statement.

Why me. :|

But really, I don't see anything in his statement that should rouse anger and tomato-throwing:

"As stewards of God’s creation, we are called to make the earth a beautiful garden for the human family. When we destroy our forests, ravage our soil and pollute our seas, we betray that noble calling."

There's nothing in that which is heretical, liberal, or out-of-line with Church teaching. Pope Benedict XVI himself spoke about being stewards of the earth and said much the same thing while he was Pope.

The over-politicization of the Church is getting out of hand.

Edited by PhuturePriest

He's cool and all. I'm not exactly a fan, and still long for the days when we had a German pontiff. However, I try to be fair and not argue with everything he does. I often empathize with many points traditionalists raise against various statements of his, and I am not exactly pleased with what's going on with the Franciscans of the Immaculate, but now I'm in an awkward place because trads are flipping out over the Pope's statement on global climate change this morning and I'm left as the lone traditionalist who actually agrees with his statement.

Why me. :|

But really, I don't see anything in his statement that should rouse anger and tomato-throwing:

"As stewards of God’s creation, we are called to make the earth a beautiful garden for the human family. When we destroy our forests, ravage our soil and pollute our seas, we betray that noble calling."

There's nothing in that which is heretical, liberal, or out-of-line with Church teaching. Pope Benedict XVI himself spoke about being stewards of the earth and said much the same thing while he was Pope.

The over-politicization of the Church is getting out of hand.

You write a lot of sense.