An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why The Church Needs "bad Catholics"

Amppax

Lol, the thread becomes the Catholic fiction thread.

Not knocking that at all. Just not my area. Carry on. :like:

Edited to add: I love Oscar Wilde.

"The Power and the Glory" by Graham Greene...amazing book on this topic, about an alcoholic priest in Mexico during the revolution in the 1930s. One of the characters is another priest who has accommodated himself to the situation and gotten married, but this priest goes on as not just a bad Catholic, but a bad priest, because whatever his flaws, he has been sent on a mission greater than himself.

"The Power and the Glory" by Graham Greene...amazing book on this topic, about an alcoholic priest in Mexico during the revolution in the 1930s. One of the characters is another priest who has accommodated himself to the situation and gotten married, but this priest goes on as not just a bad Catholic, but a bad priest, because whatever his flaws, he has been sent on a mission greater than himself.

I read it in high school. I need to go back and read it again, but I remember that it was really good. 

I've run out of props but yeah The Power and the Glory is amazing.

Has anyone seen the film Calvary with Brendan Gleeson? This whole thread has been reminding me of it. It's tough to watch but I highly recommend it.

I've run out of props but yeah The Power and the Glory is amazing.

Has anyone seen the film Calvary with Brendan Gleeson? This whole thread has been reminding me of it. It's tough to watch but I highly recommend it.

I've heard it's good - so another movie to put on the ever-growing list.