An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics Don't Need To Breed Like Rabbits

Ancilla Domini

veritasluxmea

I've been thinking over exactly what I don't like about his comments and I realized he compared people- a specific group of people- to animals in a negative light. That's rude. Sure, I'm not going to make a big fuss, but it's still rude. 

I really think we should be concerned about the "irresponsible pregnant lady" narrative. The more I think about it, the less I think it can just be brushed aside.

Can you elaborate a little? I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. 

This is what I mean.

I put myself in the woman's shoes. In the initial incident I would probably have told him, "you know what, Holy Father, that particular horse has left the barn, but thanks for your insights into womens' healthcare." That's exactly what a woman who is pregnant wants to hear, is to be upbraided for her condition which she can't do anything about at this point. By a MAN.

I mean at least she'll have nine months to experience futile guilt and regret, along with exhaustion and morning sickness? The Pope told me I'm a bad mother! The pope!

Then months later he uses her as an EXAMPLE for the global media as a bad irresponsible mother. Like preachers of old would use the local girl who was too familiar with too many men. Except you know it's the POPE and they're going to write about you and your irresponsibility in the New York Times.

I mean imagine when the baby comes. Hey Janie you're the one the POPE said was a mistake!

I think an important part of effective pope-ing is refraining from humiliating people.

And once again I'm in the position of appreciating what he's saying (mom of 0 living children here) but being completely appalled...

I think this is a pretty reasonable reaction.
I mean, if Pope Francis were speaking negatively about a woman who aborted her baby, that would be one thing. But this is... a very odd thing to comment on. It is not a story that is in the news. Nobody on earth knows who he is talking about, except this one woman who now probably feels like just the worst person ever. And possibly some of her close relations too, which is even worse. And then on top of that, since none of us have a clue about her, how are we to think about it? Do we imagine that this mythical woman is a bad person and a selfish mother? Or do we try to assume that she is actually quite a good woman whom the Pope has seriously and callously misjudged? Which is the more charitable response? Do we assume this woman in fact is just a hypothetical invented by Pope Francis? It is just strange.
Was it necessary to make an example of this one random woman? I find it undignified.

I'm thinking probably the people who like to police NFP-users, making they're not using NFP to avoid pregnancy for "non-serious reasons."

Because these are precisely the people who DID go bonkers.

Yes, that's what I was referring to - the types who will always bring up the "you know, you have to have serious reason to use NFP, otherwise you are engaging in a contraceptive mentaliy" during NFP discussions.  Or the ones who imply that if you avoid pregancy, you don't trust in God to take care of you; or the ones who tell people that if they're not ready to pop out a kid 9 months after the wedding night they shouldn't be getting married in the first place. 

This is what I mean.

I have voiced my opinion already and I think I stand alone. But since this is brought up again I want to make sure I am not misunderstood.

I think the way the pope said this was inconsiderate, but even peter himself had to put his foot in his mouth from time to time. The reason I don’t see any fault beyond that is because I have met Couples who give off the vibe that they put baby making over baby raising (by talking about trying to have another child while practicing poor parenting). That I feel is what the pope was trying to bring up. In his example the woman was putting blind trust in God that she would safely deliver her child with another C/s (which I have been told has a higher risk of  complications the more are done); even though her first duty is to be a wife to her husband and mother to her children; risking her health to have another would a decision I hope she would only make once.  

Wednesday January 27, 2015

Vatican City (AFP) - Pope Francis on Wednesday described large families as a "gift from God", just days after he said Catholics did not need to "breed like rabbits".

In an apparent row back from comments he made on his way back from the Philippines, the Argentinian pontiff argued that an unfair economic system is the primary cause of poverty, rather than overpopulation.

"The meetings with families and young people in Manila were stand-out moments during the visit to the Philippines," Francis told a crowd of around 7,000 gathered in St Peter's square for his weekly audience.

"Healthy families are essential to the life of society. It provides us with consolation and hope to see so many large families who welcome children as a gift from God," he said.

"These families know that each child is a blessing."
AMEN

Edited by little2add