An Old School Catholic Message Board

Faith And Science

BarbTherese

https://uno.flocknote.com/note/305299

Catechism in a Year

Day 20 - Do Science and Faith contradict each other?

Is there a contradiction between faith and science?

There is no insoluble contradiction between faith and science, because there cannot be two kinds of truth.

There is not one truth of faith that is in competition with another truth of science. There is only one truth, to which both faith and scientific reason refer. God intended reason, with which we can recognize the rational structures of the world, just as he intended faith. That is why the Christian faith demands and promotes the (natural) sciences. Faith exists so that we might know things that are not apparent to reason yet are real above and beyond reason. Faith reminds science that it is supposed to serve creation and not set itself up in place of God. Science must respect human dignity instead of violating it. (YOUCAT question 23)

Dig Deeper: CCC section (159) and other references here.

Science is the domain of finite human logic and reason.  What Faith teaches is often the domain of the supernatural and our Infinite God.  Only Faith can bridge the abyss between the finite and the infinite.

True theology and true science cannot contradict each other.  If they do, then something is amiss in either the science or the theology.

Insofar as I am concerned, no room for debate.  I tossed up between Transmundane and Open Mic and decided on the latter as just in case anyone wanted to debate, Open Mic would probably be more receptive than Transmundane.  If it needs to go into Debate, no problems from me.

The next time someone copies Nihil's avatar, I'm cutting their right pinky off.

On the topic, I've done a bit of research in history of science, it's a fascinating area. Especially the history of the relationship between the two. A great book, particularly the article on Galileo, is David Lindberg (RIP) and Ronald Numbers' "when Science and Christianity meet." Lindberg is a great scholar, his "Beginning of Western Science" is great.

veritasluxmea

The next time someone copies Nihil's avatar, I'm cutting their right pinky off.

I'm legitimately scared. 

but not scared enough ha ha. 

But what is most proper: Thinking of them as two entirely distinct things or part of one ascent towards God?

... Just trying to turn this into a debate.

Not A Real Name

But what is most proper: Thinking of them as two entirely distinct things or part of one ascent towards God?

... Just trying to turn this into a debate.

I think of them as two different things: one being the knowldege of material things and the other being the knowledge of Persons.

I think of them as two different things: one being the knowldege of material things and the other being the knowledge of Persons.

We might argue that knowledge of material things is a form of indirect knowledge of God. After all, all created things are from God, and are good. If we *know*, we can see that inherent goodness, and therefore a reflection of God.