An Old School Catholic Message Board

First National Conference -- Consecrated Virgins

Cecilia

I hope to attend 2016.

First National Conference of Consecrated Virgins

https://sites.google.com/site/archbomorg/diocesan-news/firstnationalconferenceofconsecratedvirgins

posted Jan 15, 2015, 9:59 AM by Neil D'Souza   [ updated Jan 15, 2015, 9:59 AM ]

To celebrate the Year of Consecrated Life, the Order of Consecrated Virgins held their first National Conference, January 8-11, 2015, at the Anubhav Retreat Centre, Mumbai. Nine Virgins consecrated through a public liturgical Rite of the Church by their archbishops in Patna, Delhi, Kolkata, Goa and Mumbai attended, as well as five single women candidates. The Conference was addressed each day, and Mass celebrated, by Bishops Dominic Savio Fernandes and Agnelo Gracias of Bombay, and Fr Fio Mascarenhas SJ. The event was coordinated by Dr Renu Rita Silvano of the Catholic Bible Institute. These Virgins, “living in the world,” went away refreshed and strengthened in their vocation through the fellowship, prayer and the teachings they received in these days. Most have experienced that in their dioceses and parishes, their state of life was unknown to priests, other men and women religious, and the laity, and that Canon 604 which explains about this form of consecrated life needs to be made known more, especially to the thousands of single women who feel called to stay “single for the Lord.” It was decided to have the next annual Meeting on an Asia-Pacific level in Mumbai in May 2016, and to invite the dozens of known Virgins consecrated in Bangladesh, Thailand, the Philippines, Australia, New Zealand and other countries.
Edited by Cecilia

Cool, so are there a lot of consecrated virgins in south Asia? I'd be interested to learn more about this if anyone has knowledge...

God's Beloved

Consecrated virginity cannot be identified with Single life as the woman who coordinated the event is trying to do....and she wants to spread this ideology to Asia-Pacific.  I have raised this issue with the concerned Archbishop since most of the hierarchy are not familiar with the charism even if they are trying to understand it.

What do other CVs have to say on this point ?

Shall be grateful if Bloggers write something on why OCV should or should not be identified with Single life, on their own blogs so that we can interact.

margold -- You might call or email the Archdiocese of Bombay -- to obtain details of the gathering in 2016.

God's beloved -- this is a correct point. It is not single life. But -- the gathering is historic -- it is good to engage and dialogue with the others. I think she does not understand -- the error is common. Will you attend?  To attend and dialogue -- with charity -- is a good plan.

I did not intend -- a debating conversation. I circulated news -- to benefit others.

Edited by Cecilia

God's Beloved

Cecilia, I've been trying to dialogue with her on this issue since more than a decade but she is absolutely unapproachable  and its been impossible to dialogue with her on this or anything.

I am trying to migrate to USA asap due to personal reasons.....hoping and praying it will happen this year itself.

PLEASE, if you are planning to write to the Archdiocese for more info. then don't forget to write a line that OCV is not Single life.  This will help me to state my views with some support when I meet the Archbishop in a few days.

God's beloved - I see -- now I comprehend the frustration. My timetables today and tomorrow are full -- but if I can -- I will correspond with the Archdiocese. If not today -- or tomorrow --  on Wednesday. God bless you -- your work to describe our vocation -- and endeavors to go to the USA -- and meeting the Archbishop.

God's Beloved

I've lost hope of being able to make this vocation understood with my own efforts. There are innumerable subjective interpretations and each CV thinks & feels that she is right!

God Help us!

Let us all raise this issue in Prayer....Thank you so much!  Only Jesus Christ our Spouse can give the light what He wishes to make of this Charism. Let us pray sincerely to know His will and the courage to follow it.

God's Beloved

It seems  some corrective measure is being taken.  The Archdiocesan newsletter has published a note with a better description of the charism of OCV this week.

Some other issues still need to be addressed but I depend on prayer.  God alone can take care of it.

God's beloved, this is progress -- I will pray for this intention -- at tonight's vigil mass. God bless you -- and your archdiocese.

God's Beloved

Thanks for your prayers.  We need to pray specially for inter-generational understanding and healing between older and younger CVs around the world.