An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Anyone Struggling With Mental Illness

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I read a book that is about St Mary Magdalene with revelations to Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich. In it it describes her family and there is Martha and Lazarus but also another sister who is not known much. She is called Silent Mary and she lived concealed as a mystic I think. Jesus said about her that she possesses a great mind and understanding but that for the good of her soul they were withdrawn from her. However she understood spiritual things very well. She died of grief from foreseeing Our Lord's Passion. She was silent much of the time and people thought of her as a 'simpleton'. She was secluded and unknown by others.

I thought she is such a beautiful saint though uncanonized still lived a very holy life... And I thought of people with mental illness or other trials involving the mind that make them be rejected/stigmatized by others. The reason I put this in VC is because if they discern a religious vocation they struggle with whether a community would accept them. Our Lord told about Silent Mary that she is not for the world... She loved only for Him. I don't know what was the case in her situation but people thought of her as a simpleton and rejected her. In a similar way, people with mental illness may be rejected and live isolated in their hearts even if not in fact, and feel lonely. Yet for Silent Mary He turned her loneliness to solitude with Him which is precious and He can also call a person to be involved in some apostolate to help others Or be contemplative. I think her vocation was very special and beautiful though hidden to others' understanding and they did not know/get it.

I don't know why but I just found her example so beautiful. She loved the holy life that St Mary Magdalene lived after her conversion. People rejected her but God knew what He was doing and turned that to good. I think maybe people who struggle feeling rejected by others because of a mental illness or anything similar can find encouragement in her :) another example is St Margaret of Costello who had a physical deformity but was rejected even by her parents. I don't know the case with silent Mary but I love how Our Lord is so generous and kind to those who are rejected by others.

I also came across an incredibly beautiful statement from Our Lord to Sr Mary of the Holy Trinity... "Give Me your heart, the heart that creatures do not know and which they slight, it is more than a universe to Me, because I love you". :) its from the book Life and Message of Sr Mary of the Trinity by TAN.

Many times people feel like no matter what they do their heart remains unknown and not understood by others and people with mental illness can really feel this. I hope these words from our gentle Saviour can be an encouragement to someone. God bless :)

MarysLittleFlower

I also just read that she was always put aside in her family

The book is called Saint Mary Magdalene in the Visions of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich, published by TAN :)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

AveMariaPurissima

I also came across an incredibly beautiful statement from Our Lord to Sr Mary of the Holy Trinity... "Give Me your heart, the heart that creatures do not know and which they slight, it is more than a universe to Me, because I love you". :) its from the book Life and Message of Sr Mary of the Trinity by TAN.

Many times people feel like no matter what they do their heart remains unknown and not understood by others and people with mental illness can really feel this. I hope these words from our gentle Saviour can be an encouragement to someone. God bless :)

I love this part.  The quote I put in bold especially touched me.  Thank you! :heart:

Spem in alium

Yes, what beautiful words these are! How beautiful the mystery of God's unending, incredible love. He never fails us, and truly says these words to us each and every day. His love is a light in the darkness, and to feel the love and nearness of God - well, I can certainly say there's no better experience. 

MarysLittleFlower

Yes! And I think, maybe we can say those words to Him too :) to console Him...

Edited by MarysLittleFlower