An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why The Dominican Nuns Study?

Dominican Nuns Menlo Park

Divine Love created the human heart to seek God constantly. (St. Thomas Aquinas)

Some time ago there was a question about study in the Dominican tradition.  This link below provides part of the answer (the topic is pretty broad) but it might be helpful to some of you who are discerning vocation.
:)

http://nunsmenlo.org/to-know-the-one-we-love/

AveMariaPurissima

Divine Love created the human heart to seek God constantly. (St. Thomas Aquinas)

Some time ago there was a question about study in the Dominican tradition.  This link below provides part of the answer (the topic is pretty broad) but it might be helpful to some of you who are discerning vocation.
:)

http://nunsmenlo.org/to-know-the-one-we-love/

That was me who asked the question. :)  Thank you so much for posting this, Sister.  Of all the things I've read, this post is what has helped me most to understand. :heart:

That was me who asked the question. :)  Thank you so much for posting this, Sister.  Of all the things I've read, this post is what has helped me most to understand. :heart:

Very happy that the post helped you to understand study in religious life, especially in the Dominican tradition.

I remembered you also asked if nuns study 'secular' subjects but I didn't have a chance to reply to your question before the old phorum went away.  Not sure if you found the answer yet.  Have you read the story of St. Albert the Great?  He loved science, all the creatures of God & experimental science! 

All studies of the truth eventually lead to God who is Truth, though indirectly...so the best way is to study the Truth directly :).  That is why for us, Sacred Scripture is the light and source of our study.  In our monastery, some sisters love other subjects and do study these subjects.  We have a sister who loves psychology so she spends some time reading on this topic and one other sister loves gardening so she spends part of her time studying the subject.  But these studies are not a substitute for the study of Sacred Truth.  Hope this helps. :)